Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Systray causes windows to loose focus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:48 am 

I frequently experience a quite irritating phenomena causing my current window to loose focus, meaning I have to ALT-TAB to get it back in focus before I can continue whatever it is I was doing. Seems like a small thing, I know, but it gets really annoying in the long run... :P

Although I don't have enough evidence to claim this entirely on NS, there seems to be a connection with the systray updating itself (it appears to redraw at intervals). This is especially noticeable if I've set the systray to transparent so the background flashes regularly, because this flashing coincides with the loosing of focus. (I have it placed on the start bar, but haven't tested if this has anything to do with it).

However, not all windows are affected by this :shock:. The NS Prefs window always looses focus when the systray updates, but MS Outlook 2000 is only affected sometimes (but at least once per window open). Other windows seems more infrequent - at least I don't see any pattern to when it's happening.

I must admit I am addicted to NS (and WS for that matter), but the systray is the one thing that degrades the quality (and usability) of NS. It always seems to cause trouble when I've set up my desktop (changes size, screws up my startbar, looks ugly)... And like most Windows users, I have to depend on the systray for lots of stuff I can not just hide it away.

No offence here, Jorge :). I know you're doing what you can with the cards that Micro$oft has dealt you, but is it possible that sometime in the future we'll get a systray will be both stable and pretty? :lol: :lol:

--
Sincerelly,

Terje M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will be dealing with the NextSTART systray in the next version. One of the things I managed already with the transparent systray was to stop it from flickering in XP when it gets updated. I should be able to accomplish the same under Win9x/ME, but W2k and NT4 users will be out of luck... sorry if you are one of those. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:48 am 

winstep wrote:
One of the things I managed already with the transparent systray was to stop it from flickering in XP when it gets updated.

When will this version be released? I am running XP, but currently the systray flickers like [BEEP]... ;)

--
Terje M

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]