Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Buy just NextStart?.. and some suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 am 

Hi, I'm new to Winstep. (sorry if this gets a bit long)

I wanted to ditch the Windows 7 taskbar yet still have the same functionality for switching between applications. I tried various docks (ObjectDock, RocketDock, Nexus, etc), none worked how I wanted. I actually tried Litestep which kept crashing. Then I installed Winstep Xtreme to test it out. After some tinkering I almost have what I want.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/311/deskv.png
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9061/desk2.png

That's a combination of NextStart (TaskList) and Rainmeter.

This would be absolutely perfect (for me) if you could:
1. pin applications the same as the Windows taskbar. Then when the application is running the icon would simply be highlighted in a way so you'd know it's running.
2. click an application with multiple instances to bring up the preview view rather than the list view.
3. drag and rearrange the order of the icons.
4. hold shift and click a running application icon to open a new instance of it.

Basically just copy the way the Windows 7 taskbar works (because it's great, I just don't like the bulkiness of a taskbar).

Also, I've noticed sometimes an application doesn't appear in the list: eg. I've seen Firefox disappear (the icon) until I alt-tab to it.

So, I was considering buying NextStart but I can't seem to find where to buy it. The closest thing I can find is Winstep Xtreme Basic which comes with a few other applications which I won't even use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NextSTART is no longer sold separately. As you've figured out yourself, the closest thing is Winstep Xtreme Basic. Since Winstep Xtreme is modular, you won't have to use any applications you don't want.

This said, a very noticeable trend is that some people purchase Xtreme wanting to use just one or the other application (people who prefer icons usually love WorkShelf, people who prefer text go more for NextSTART) and then the whole suite ends up growing on them. In fact, I've had some people buying Xtreme just for WorkShelf and then, a few months later, saying they now like NextSTART better (and vice-versa).

As for full Win7 taskbar functionality when using the NextSTART taskbar: we're getting there, and probably faster than you think :D - Xtreme is in constant development, but for now I'm concentrating on finishing the official release of Xtreme with the new User Interface and multi-language support.

Not that I'm not working on other features at the same time: for instance, there is a new private beta being tested right now which allows you to display the system tray not only in the taskbar but also on menus, docks and shelves.

The Nexus dock, besides being able to list running applications, also gives you an option to have a running indicator symbol on dock shortcuts to applications that are currently running. Eventually I'll add a mixed mode in which the dock can be made to behave like the Win7 taskbar - the technology is already there, I just didn't have the time to implement it yet. In the same line of reasoning, the NextSTART taskbar could use the Nexus dock running application symbols to signal which shortcuts in the Quick Launch section are currently running - this would be equivalent to the pinning functionality you requested in point 1.

Quote:
click an application with multiple instances to bring up the preview view rather than the list view

Not quite sure what you mean... if you enable task grouping and then mouse over a task button in the NextSTART taskbaryou get a list of window previews, just as under Windows 7.

What version of Xtreme are you currently running?

Quote:
drag and rearrange the order of the icons.

You can do that already. I assume you have a floating tasklist, right? On tasklists attached to the NextSTART taskbar/startbar you just had to left click the task button (not the icon itself) and drag.

With floating tasklists, because left clicking is used to move the entire taskbar, you have to press CTRL when you left click. Unfortunately you cannot click on the icon itself, or you initiate a drag & drop operation instead, you must click on a visible part of the tasklist button which is not overlapped by the icon itself - a bit difficult in your case judging by your screenshots.

Perhaps I can add a shift combination alternative to the next release allowing you to click on the icon itself to change the order of the icons.

Quote:
hold shift and click a running application icon to open a new instance of it.

That would be tied to implementing the full Win7 taskbar functionality under Xtreme, as you said.

But let me tell you, personally I don't like the Windows 7 taskbar functionality much. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 pm 

I appreciate the well written response. I know I'm going to buy it (I hope you'll follow through with what you've said), it's just a matter of when. I have the trial installed right now which is still good for the month, does the purchased version contain anything special? Or am I better to wait for the trial to finish before I buy (since it's subscription based and will get me updates for a year from when I buy it).

Quote:
personally I don't like the Windows 7 taskbar functionality much

I didn't much care for it when it was first presented to me after installing Windows 7 in July. I decided to give it a chance though and now I can't imagine using a Windows computer without it (I've actually been trying to mimic it's functionality in Ubuntu). It's actually very productive. But of course, to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 pm 

Well I might as well keep my posts in the same topic?

I have one bug that I find quite annoying. As you know I have the Tasklist and Systray detached, I have them positioned where I want. The problem is that when NextStart is started the Systray doesn't appear where I have it placed - it appears in the top left corner. In order to get it to reposition itself to where I had it I have to open up Preferences > Taskbar > System Tray Settings - then check "Show the System Tray control button". Then hit Ok and Apply. The Systray will then return to where it is suppose to be (then I just uncheck that checkbox to get rid of the Systray control button once again).

One other possible bug that I thought might be good for you to be aware of: I changed user accounts and the time that was used up on my trial was reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mind wrote:
I have the trial installed right now which is still good for the month, does the purchased version contain anything special? Or am I better to wait for the trial to finish before I buy (since it's subscription based and will get me updates for a year from when I buy it).

Sorry for the late reply...

If you want to squeeze every single little drop of lemon juice, wait till the trial is almost over. :D

This said, registering Xtreme does give you access the to the Beta Discussion Forums, and there are some pretty exciting things happening there right now. :wink:

mind wrote:
I have one bug that I find quite annoying. As you know I have the Tasklist and Systray detached, I have them positioned where I want. The problem is that when NextStart is started the Systray doesn't appear where I have it placed - it appears in the top left corner. In order to get it to reposition itself to where I had it I have to open up Preferences > Taskbar > System Tray Settings - then check "Show the System Tray control button". Then hit Ok and Apply. The Systray will then return to where it is suppose to be (then I just uncheck that checkbox to get rid of the Systray control button once again).

There were a lot of changes to NextSTART taskbar management between 9.5 and 10.1 - still fixing a few new bugs because of it. Thanks for the report! :D

mind wrote:
I changed user accounts and the time that was used up on my trial was reset.

That's not a bug, it's a feature! :wink:

Winstep Xtreme is multi-user aware and uses different profiles for each user. Re-installing Windows would have the same effect, but it's just too much work to keep the trial version of a program like Winstep Xtreme working indefinitely. Same with creating new user accounts. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:19 am 

I have one more bug that I forgot about when I made my previous post. I remembered now because it just happened again. The arrow to show all applications in the systray disappears. I am able to get the arrow back by following the same process as when I first start NextStart and have to fix the position of the systray (explained previously).

I'm going to buy the application when my trial is over, but I really hope that these bugs are fixed (and hopefully my suggestions implemented) in not too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 pm 

Decided to make my desktop a little more minimal and ditch the glossy glass effects. Trying for a clean and non-distracting desktop.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3803 ... 90310b.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:22 pm 

I just realized the cause of the Firefox icon disappearing. I have the extension "Nightly Tester Tools" - with it I remove the text "Mozilla Firefox" from the title bar. So when I open a new tab (blank page) - the title bar has no text.

Now I've noticed that this is not just a bug in NextStart but one in Windows as well. If there is no text in the title bar the application isn't shown even in the task manager applications list. Although Firefox does not disappear from the Windows taskbar.

If you're not following - compare the following two screenshots - both of which you can see Firefox is indeed running.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1179/20355199.png
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4628/95149151.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is not a bug, it's by design. When was the last time you saw a window that was meant to show up in the taskbar with no caption? :wink:

Anyway, judging by your screenshot I think you will be glad to know there is a new public beta comming out soon which allows you to center a floating tasklist in itself (i.e.; it can be made to expand to the right, to the left, or both ways). It should also solve your disappearing system tray expand button issue.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:23 am 

Caption - that's the word I was searching for. ;p

Quote:
When was the last time you saw a window that was meant to show up in the taskbar with no caption?

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/872/ ... irefox.png

Quote:
Anyway, judging by your screenshot I think you will be glad to know there is a new public beta comming out soon which allows you to center a floating tasklist in itself (i.e.; it can be made to expand to the right, to the left, or both ways).

That's awesome. Rather than holding off until my trial expires I decided to buy WinStep Xtreme Basic today (as you know). :)

Quote:
It should also solve your disappearing system tray expand button issue.

Unfortunately it seems to have made it worse - now the expand button is gone and I can't seem to get it to return. Unless I'm overlooking a setting somewhere?
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3889/expandicon.png

Well, time for me to go check out that Beta forum a bit more. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If that is your system tray, I didn't see an expand button in *any* of your previous screenshots.

Your theme is so different and minimalistic I'm not even sure what is what in there... :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 am 

You're right - in my original post of this thread the expand buttons are missing in both screenshots. Although in the posts following the expand button is there (you may just have to look twice - it doesn't stand out too well).

So I was just messing around with the settings and suddenly the expand button returned - I'm not sure what I did this time.

Quote:
Your theme is so different and minimalistic I'm not even sure what is what in there...

lol - I'm sure you know what everything is.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5843/itsback.png
Tasklist at top center - System Tray at bottom right (expand button to the left of it this time).

Well time for bed - I'll do some experimenting tomorrow. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 pm 

Oh and a minor problem I just came across. I wanted to make the Caption Buttons smaller. Apparently that causes the icons in the tasklist to blur.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1621 ... lurrrr.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Caption buttons? Errr, not sure I understand... Exactly what did you do?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm 

Windows calls them Caption Buttons - they're the minimize - maximize - and close buttons in the top right of a window. I want to make them slightly smaller which results in the caption bar not being quite so tall (to maximize my screen real estate). That screenshot shows the setting I changed - default was 18 - I want it set to 16 but it causes slightly blurred icons in the tasklist (in the screenshot I set it 8 so you'd notice the blur without a doubt).

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next