Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: JamesCutter = Spammer - is NOT likely connected to WinStep
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:33 am 

It appears this guy just joined today and is attemtping to use socail engineering to get us to click his link and likely get infested with some insideous vermin.

IMHO, there is no way this has ANY WinStep sanctioned involvement and Jorge just hasn't caught up with this F...head yet.

As of this post he was lurking on the board.

My advice is ignore him and DO NOT click his link.

cef100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry guys, I was sleeping while all this was happening.

The user and email domain name in question has been banned already, of course - I can only hope people were smart and no real damage was done. We're witnessing a new spam trend in which a forum user's are massed PMed instead of the actual forum being spamed.

In the future, please keep in mind that the only one who has the authority to speak for Winstep is me.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Thanks Jorge !
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:39 am 

There is absolutly NO need to appologize Jorge.

As I and many others were certain was the case - No one but Jorge speaks for WinStep.

If I may make a suggestion.

I've been an IT professional since 1986 and frankly, it's gotten terribly bad over the last few years and worse on an almost daily basis; with no hope in site of spam/rogueware/social engineering epliotation attempts slowing down.

Some of your user base isn't as savy as others and in the interest of that fact maybe a sticky post in all the important forums regarding the fact that NO ONE but you speak for WinStep, it's web site or forum AND with the expliotation attempts being as pervasive and insidious as they have gotten that ALL users are advised to view all postings and links to non WinStep sites be viewed with reasonable suspicion and skeptacisim as potential vermin sites or take over targets using social engineering techniques to get people to click and propogate any manor of potential computing diseases.

The other thing many folks need to be aware or reminded of is you are the chief cook and bottle washer for everything WinStep and therefore: Only having 24 hours in a day, you can't police the forums 24/7 and still have time to work on WinStep, maybe grab a sandwich, a couple hours of rest and hopefully a movie once a year.

I haven't posted much and currently am not even running WinStep; however, I have rarely seen anyone with as much devotion, enthusiasm or integrity as you have, Jorge, in providing what you provide with WinStep.

Many thanks for all that you do with this terrific interface and supporting your user base.

All the best to you and the hard work you put into this effort.

This is just my 2 cents worth which won't even buy you a cup of coffee.

:D

cef100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Might be an idea to get a new moderator who can take care of such things and is in a different timezone then you...

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]