Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Drag and Drop Problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:53 am 

Hi y'all,
I've got Windows 7 with the latest free version of Nexus dock (10.3). When I drag a working shortcut from my desktop to the dock, it gives me the round question mark icon, and when I click on it I just get a pop up error message "Windows cannot find...blah, blah, blah..."

If I look at the Dock Entry Properties, I see that the dock icon just points to the desktop.

Here's what I see in Dock Entry Properties when I drag a working CCleaner shortcut from the desktop to the dock:
"C:\Users\User\Desktop\Cleaner.lnk"

What's the deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I seemed to have missed your email to Winstep support.

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Does this happen with shortcuts dragged from other locations or just shortcuts on your desktop?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: No luck with Drag and Drop!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 pm 

32 bit Windows 7 Pro

Just dragged working Mp3tag shortcut from Desktop to dock--Dock Entry Properties shows Item Type as Program and C:\Users\User\Desktop\tag.lnk as the Filename. The Label given was "tag" (Strange that it dropped the "Mp3" part of the name. I noticed with the CCleaner shortcut it dropped the first "C")

Just moved the shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Mp3tag" and dragged to dock. Now my icon is a computer screen. It has no Label but Dock Entry Properties shows this "C:\Users\User\Desktop" as the Filename. Appears to just be a shortcut to the desktop folder.

Created a new folder on the desktop and tried dragging the shortcut from this new folder to the dock. I got the round question mark icon with no Label. Dock Entry Properties shows Item Type as Folder and "C:\Users\User\Desktop\EWFOL~1\?湬k????????\" as the Filename.

This time I placed the shortcut in my Documents folder (C:\Users\User\Documents) and dragged it to the dock from there. Now my icon is a blank sheet of white paper with no Label. Dock Entry Properties shows this "\" as the Filename. When I click on it I see the contents of C:\

Post subject: Drag and Drop Problem solved--sort of...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:19 am 

I figured out the problem (The Chinese character in the Filename above was a clue). I went into the control panel and changed System Locale (Language for non-Unicode programs) from Chinese (Simplified, PRC) to English (United States). Now drag and drop works as it should.

The problem is that I work in China and some of the software that I use requires Chinese language for non-Unicode programs.

Any way you could tweak your program to fix this issue? If not, I'll just forget about drag and drop and add items to my dock the slightly more difficult way.

:)

Post subject: Re: Drag and Drop Problem solved--sort of...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

billybones wrote:
The problem is that I work in China and some of the software that I use requires Chinese language for non-Unicode programs.

Curiously, so does Winstep. :wink:

Localization induced problems are a pain in the neck, I'll have to figure out which step in drag & drop introduces the Unicode to ANSI conversion error.

One question: Nexus has a Chinese language file. If you change the current language in Nexus from English to Chinese, does the User Interface, etc..., display proper Chinese characters?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Chinese characters
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:31 am 

Sorry, I'm not the guy for the job. I've only been in China for a few years and can only read a handful of characters. :(

Once again, I love this dock and am very impressed with all the hard work that went into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once I have the time to look into this problem, I might get directly in touch with you by email to try a few things, is that ok with you?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: non-Unicode language issue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm 

Sure, I'd be happy to help :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]