Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Can't Move Settings Window : (
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 am 

When I right click on the dock and choose Preferences, the window that opens parks itself under the taskbar, which is at the top of my screen. This means I can't move the window around or access the Minimize or Close buttons. (I know I can set the Taskbar to auto-hide, but I don't want to.)

I have one other program on my computer that does this--Agent Ransack--but with that program, I can just just adjust the side of the window and it automatically drops down below the Taskbar. Unfortunately, I can't grab the sides of the Nexus window.

See screenshot:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the screenshot!

The problem is that the Preferences window was designed for a minimum screen resolution of 800x600 (Nexus system requirements say 'Screen resolution of 800x600 or higher') - your system seems to have 800x500!

The Preferences window cannot be resized, so you can either increase your screen resolution to 800x600 (if at all possible) or set the taskbar not to be Always On Top (so that clicking the body of the Preferences window brings it on top of the taskbar).

This said, I don't see a Start Button in there, is that the Windows taskbar?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 pm 

I resized the screenshot. My resolution is 1280x800.

I think it would be a hassle to not have my taskbar always on top; besides, I don't see any way to make the taskbar not always be on top. Seems like I remember this in XP and earlier versions of Windows, but I don't see it in Windows 7.

It is the Windows taskbar; I got rid of the start button because I think it looks ugly (the Windows key is all I need).

Post subject: Size of Preferences Window
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 pm 

I think a smaller Preferences window would be nice. As it is, the top of the window is under my taskbar and the botton is hidden by the dock. Maybe 500px height? You'd have to sacrifice a little white space, but I think it would be worth it.

I've found that if I go with the small icons/thin taskbar, I can see half of the Minimize and Close buttons. Better than before, but not ideal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The height of the Preferences window is roughly 600 pixels. If you are running at 1280x800 you should have a 200 pixel margin between the top and bottom edges of the screen and the edges of the Preferences window. You either don't have that margin (which might mean you changed the screen DPI, which I am now almost certain you did) or you cropped your screenshot.

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom (not!), decided to remove the Always on Top setting from the Windows 7 taskbar, thus keeping it always on top and generating howls of protest from users due to situations like this.

As for reducing the size of the Preferences window, no can do, sorry. I already have a hard time finding space to add settings while keeping the white space balance.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: You Were Right!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:39 pm 

You were right; it was the screen DPI. I had forgotten that I'd bumped it up to 125%. I dropped it down to 110% and now everything is fine! :lol:

Thanks for providing EXCELLENT support and thanks for helping me resolve this issue!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]