Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Workshelf too slow
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 pm 

I recently downloaded nexus workshelf, and I am quite impressed, however there is a detail I am quite deceived with:

Although I did try to adjust the settings the dock takes ages to automatically resize to the edge of the screen, which is quite annoying.
Does anyone have a helping hint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you already tried double-clicking a tab instead of manually re-sizing the Shelf? That will expand the current shelf to show all items in it in one go (or, at least, expand it as far as it can go).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:18 pm 

Sorry I used a wrong word- I'm not a native speaker- I didn't mean resisze but reappears. My problem is that the dock after having drawn it out from the edge of the screen won't draw in fast enough.
I hope my prolem gets more clearer now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah. You have two settings controlling that, but I think only one is relevant here:

The first is the Edge Bump Delay (Nexus Preferences -> General tab). This controls the amount of time that has to elapse for Nexus to respond to a screen edge bump. It is used to help prevent accidental edge bumps from activating the dock. Try decreasing this first.

The second is the Animation Speed (same tab in Preferences). This controls the smoothness/speed of the dock's auto-hide and auto pop-up animations.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 am 

Hm I already got both of this settings at "short". by the way, the shelf reacts super fast when I want it to show up by moving the mouse towars the edge of the screen, however it takes ages until hides agein, although I've put the "Delay before automatically hiding the dock" to "short".

EDIT: Do the Dock setings affect the behaviour of the Workshelf at all?

EDIT2: I have the impression there are 2 settings overlapping here: You can make settings concerning the edge activation in the general tab as well as in the settings for the shelf.. maybe they interact wrongly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You didn't specify if you were running Nexus or Winstep Xtreme. At first I thought Xtreme because you mentioned the Shelf, but then you called it a 'dock' and I thought you were perhaps running Nexus instead. Now I think you might be running Winstep Xtreme after all, lol.

Unless you call things by their proper name, we're going to confuse each other. :D

So: the Shelf is the tabbed dock. The dock is the bar with magnifying icons and no tabs.

Anyway, if your problem has to do with auto-hidding only: both the Shelf and the docks, by default, only auto-hide once focus has moved to another window (i.e.; another windows has been brought to the foreground).

You can change this behavior by opening WorkShelf Preferences (assuming you are running Winstep Xtreme) -> Advanced -> Misc. -> Advanced -> Hide or collapse only when other windows have the focus. By clearing this setting, the docks and the shelf will begin the auto-hide countdown once the mouse moves away from them.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 am 

Oh sorry you're right I did mess up the terms. I am using the workshelf not the dock.
So i applied the changes you suggested but the still the dock will not automatically hide off out of the screen.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lol

Do you mean the 'dock will not hide' or 'the Shelf (tabbed dock) will not hide'? And is it 'definitely does not hide' or 'takes a long time to hide' as you previously stated?

If we are talking about the dock here, is it docked to the top of the screen or is it set to 'floating' (i.e. undocked)?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 pm 

Okay again my mistake the Shelf will not hide! And I'm not sure whether it takes a super long time for it to snap back to off the screen or whether it doesn't do that at all.. Right now it seems to that it won't automatically hide at all..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right click on the left mini-tab and select 'Shelf Properties' from the context menu. Now go to the Behavior tab in the Shelf Properties dialog. What does it say in 'How would you like to collapse the shelf?' ?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]