Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Yeehah! And a few random comments.
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 pm 

I have just switched over to Nexus Ultimate after using one of the oldest dockers - RipBar, going back to Windows 98 or maybe even 95?? Never saw a reason to change as it just kept on truckin' even under Vista. But I got sucked in by all the bells and whistles of the new wave dockers out there and happily settled on Nexus. Fun, fun, fun and FUNctional! Thanks a lot, guys! And thanks to the talented skinners, too.

I beta tested RipBar in its infancy and a lot of the "bells & whistles" it had/has were implemented at my suggestion. One of the best features of RB was it's Calendar and (quite buggy) Notes tool, so here's hoping we get something similar for Nexus soon. (RipBar can still be downloaded if anyone cares to have a look!) It also had a handy Exit tool, WinAmp plugin, Volume Control and so on. At this stage I will be running some free-wheeling gadgets to make up for the missing bits I was so used to.

Would be GREAT to see collaboration between WinStep and the author of my most indispensable utility - Stickies! - I LOVE being able to everything from one docker.

Last but not least - the only thing with the docker that drives me mad is trying to shuffle icons on a shelf - no matter how I set the options, dragging and dropping an icon takes several attempts before everything behaves. :)

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Yeehah! And a few random comments.
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hoods wrote:
I have just switched over to Nexus Ultimate

Welcome to Winstep, then! :-)

Hoods wrote:
One of the best features of RB was it's Calendar and (quite buggy) Notes tool, so here's hoping we get something similar for Nexus soon.

Once the version of Winstep Xtreme with the new User Interface and multi-language support comes out of beta, there will be a TON of new module additions.

Hoods wrote:
It also had a handy Exit tool, WinAmp plugin, Volume Control and so on.

I suggest you look at the 'Internal Commands' dock item type: you'll find Media Player commands (can also control WinAmp), Volume Controls, Exit Windows, Hibernate, Sleep, etc..., commands, and so on - in sum, you have over 80 useful internal commands to chose from. :D

Hoods wrote:
Last but not least - the only thing with the docker that drives me mad is trying to shuffle icons on a shelf - no matter how I set the options, dragging and dropping an icon takes several attempts before everything behaves. :)

What exactly is the problem? Is it only with the Shelf or also with the dock(s)?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 am 

Quote:
Welcome to Winstep, then!

Cheers, Jorge. :D

Quote:
Once the version of Winstep Xtreme with the new User Interface and multi-language support comes out of beta, there will be a TON of new module additions.

I saw that ... v. exciting prospect to look forward to, and I will buy Xtreme for sure when the new release comes out. Though at the moment I don't really figure needing too many of the extreme capabilities (without having trialled them) I'm sure I'll find myself gravitating that way once I do!

I am happy running a separate mini-dock with the media controls on them because I now have a 24" screen, whereas before I was always trying to preserve desktop space. However, an alternative of some description would be cool. The reason I mentioned WinAmp/RipBar was that ultimately in RipBar you were able to span a couple of item "spaces" with a module that required width, such as a full control (media) bar for WinAmp which allowed you to operate everything from that single bar, which I ran on each tab. So, I was imagining my current mini-dock sitting on my sticky tab as a single unit across a few item spaces, if you see what I mean?

Quote:
I suggest you look at the 'Internal Commands' dock item type: you'll find Media Player commands (can also control WinAmp), Volume Controls, Exit Windows, Hibernate, Sleep, etc..., commands, and so on - in sum, you have over 80 useful internal commands to chose from.

I did, and have all the commands that I want (and more) and have to say choosing what I wanted was a real novelty and a big blast.

Is it possible to change the icons for the System Tray tab? My icons are pretty darned ugly!!

Another thing that'd be nice if you haven't already done it is a smaller separator, say a half item space? I'm sure this is way the wrong post to give suggestions, so my apologies for that.

Quote:
What exactly is the problem? Is it only with the Shelf or also with the dock(s)?

Seems to be only the Shelf. I can't always get the icons to move up to allow me to drop the one I want to reposition - which works fine on the docks. The temporary space either doesn't appear at all and when it does it vanishes very quickly. When I release the icon at the wrong moment (@!#%!@$%) it goes to the front of the tab. FWIW moving separators works as expected.

Don't you hate newbies who mouth off after using a program for 5 minutes? :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]