Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Ultimate Bugs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:29 am 

Ok Ive just purchased nexus ultimate home network and have a few bugs/issues i cant sort out that i have working fine with object dock 2.0...

1. It wont let me dock more than 1 dock to the same edge of the screen... why??

2. I cant have a dock with just system tray icons, or the dock dissapears

3. When i have a dock with system tray icons and move it as far to the right as it will go there is a 1 icon empty space between it and the edge of the screen

4. The zoom effect has cliping issues and doesnt have a good resolution like the magnify effects (make the magnify effect only affect the 1 icon would be perfect here)

5. stack docklet?

6. how do i disable the annoying sounds?

7. drag and drop support is horrific(it seems to be when background is hidden?)

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate Bugs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gibbz wrote:
1. It wont let me dock more than 1 dock to the same edge of the screen... why??

That's kind of been on my to-do list for a while. It's not that simple, e.g.; do the docks go side by side or do you dock one on top of the other? And in the latter case what should happen when they auto-hide? You bump the screen edge and all the docks attached to that screen edge spring forward?

There is a work-around, though: Nexus docks, unlike ObjectDock docks, can be undocked and left floating. Just float the second dock next to the screen edge the other dock is docked to - although it won't auto-hide *into* the screen edge (because it's floating it will collapse into a control icon instead) you can still set it up to activate when you bump the same screen edge the other dock is attached to.

Quote:
2. I cant have a dock with just system tray icons, or the dock dissapears

Hmm, I don't see that here. What settings are you using for the system tray? Does your dock have a control icon? Can you please tell me the steps required to reproduce the problem here?

Quote:
3. When i have a dock with system tray icons and move it as far to the right as it will go there is a 1 icon empty space between it and the edge of the screen

Probably because of the theme/skin you are using (my bet is that you are using Leopard). Have you tried it with a different skin?

Quote:
4. The zoom effect has cliping issues and doesnt have a good resolution like the magnify effects (make the magnify effect only affect the 1 icon would be perfect here)

Again I'll need a bit more info about your settings on this one (a screenshot displaying the problem would be nice). I set the zoom effect magnitude to maximum and I did see a clipping issue with a zoomed icon next to the clock module (which gets updated every second and thus clips the icon next to it). Is that what you mean?

Quote:
5. stack docklet?

You should have a native stacks docklet very soon now (probably next version, but don't hold me to it). For now you can use Cris'n'Softs stand alone stacks docklet.

Quote:
6. how do i disable the annoying sounds?

Errr. You open Preferences, go to the Sounds tab and click on 'Disable all sounds and voices' setting at the bottom? :wink:

Quote:
7. drag and drop support is horrific(it seems to be when background is hidden?)

Can you give me a detailed example of the problem, please?

Thanks,

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:28 am 

1. Couldnt you just have say a bounding volume around where that dock would be, then have the dock appear there? I assume thats how object dock works :)

2. I found out i just needed to hide the dock control icon :)

3. Yeah i found that out hehe :)
QN: Would be it possible to have the dock control icon on the right, and so the icons fly out to the left of it?

4. I had a dock down the left side of the screen, and put on the zoom effect and tweaked the zoom settings. Then had the running tasks bar on there and it kinda cropped the icons when it scaled them up. But i think the magnifier option with just the 1 icon would be a better option for me as that seems to be higher quality icons?

5. Cool, cant wait :)

6. I found the sounds option thanks for that :)

7. Make a new dock, change the background to 100% transparent and dock it to the screen, try to drag a icon on there and it seems to get stuck on the edge of the screen and not go into the dock properly... Not sure whats happening there, but when imade it not 100% transparent it fixes the issue it seems...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:35 am 

Also, would it be possible to have an option like in objectdock, where the dock stays in the background untill mouse over. Similar to the autohide, but it just stays where it was located last till you mouse over that area, then it comes to the front :) Would be great!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gibbz wrote:
1. Couldnt you just have say a bounding volume around where that dock would be, then have the dock appear there? I assume thats how object dock works :)

Yes, as I was writting my reply to you yesterday my mind kind of came up with the answer on how to pull this off. My problem was that I was thinking in terms of 'appbars' (first in, first served) where docked appbars pile up on top of each other. Docks, however, should all be on the same level, just at different positions on the screen edge.

And while before version v10.4 bumping any part of the screen edge would activate the dock, as of v10.4 you need to bump that part of the screen edge where the hidden dock actually is. I implemented this because it helps prevent accidental dock activations, but it also solves the problem of activating multiple docks on the same edge of the screen.

Quote:
2. I found out i just needed to hide the dock control icon :)

Can you still provide the steps needed to reproduce the problem here, please? If it is a bug, I woud like to be able to fix it.

Quote:
QN: Would be it possible to have the dock control icon on the right, and so the icons fly out to the left of it?

Not currently, sorry.

Quote:
4. I had a dock down the left side of the screen, and put on the zoom effect and tweaked the zoom settings. Then had the running tasks bar on there and it kinda cropped the icons when it scaled them up. But i think the magnifier option with just the 1 icon would be a better option for me as that seems to be higher quality icons?

I'll look into this - should be fixed in the next release.

Quote:
7. Make a new dock, change the background to 100% transparent and dock it to the screen, try to drag a icon on there and it seems to get stuck on the edge of the screen and not go into the dock properly... Not sure whats happening there, but when imade it not 100% transparent it fixes the issue it seems...

Gotcha, thank you! Bug indeed. You can work around this by setting the dock to 98% transparency instead of 100%.

Quote:
Also, would it be possible to have an option like in objectdock, where the dock stays in the background untill mouse over. Similar to the autohide, but it just stays where it was located last till you mouse over that area, then it comes to the front

That option is already there: just set the dock to be always below other windows in the Position & Behavior tab in Preferences. Also, make sure Popup dock on mouse over is enabled (Advanced tab in Preferences -> Advanced button).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:15 am 

2. To reproduce this make a new dock, put a shortcut in the dock, then drag and drop the nexus dock icon into the trashcan. The dock is still there, just goes invisible :P

That option is already there: just set the dock to be always below other windows in the Position & Behavior tab in Preferences. Also, make sure Popup dock on mouse over is enabled (Advanced tab in Preferences -> Advanced button).

^^ I cant get this to work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gibbz wrote:
2. To reproduce this make a new dock, put a shortcut in the dock, then drag and drop the nexus dock icon into the trashcan. The dock is still there, just goes invisible :P

Dragging a dock's control icon (the nexus icon) into a trash can is the same as deleting that dock. That is by design, and you DO get a confirmation dialog warning you that doing that will permanently delete that dock and all its contents (unless you've disabled the 'Display confirmation dialog before deleting' setting previously, in which case the whole dock is deleted without a prompt).

Also, what does dragging the control icon into the Recycle Bin have to do with being unable to have a dock displaying only system tray icons? :roll:

Gibbz wrote:

^^ I cant get this to work

You need to start providing more details, Gibbz. I'm not there to see what is happening. :wink:

What are you trying to do? Make a dock that is completely hidden behind a window pop up? Otherwise, if you mouse over any visible part of a dock that is partially behind another window, it WILL pop to the foreground provided you haven't disabled the 'Popup dock on mouseover' setting.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:32 am 

Hrmm, when i drag the dock icon to the trashcan the dock stays there, it just goes invisible, i can move it around still as the cursor changes when over it, and it still shows up in the docks and shelves tab. It doesnt ask me to delete it, it just goes invisible o_O. Im guessing this must be on my machine only?

Im trying to get them to act as hidden docks, however instead of hiding they goto the background. So im hiding the dock completley behind a fullscreen window, then i move the mouse over where the dock is like you would with a hidden dock. I then want that dock to move to the foreground so i can use it.
It works if i put the mouse over a non hidden part of the dock, but if its completely behind a window it doesnt work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gibbz wrote:
Hrmm, when i drag the dock icon to the trashcan the dock stays there, it just goes invisible, i can move it around still as the cursor changes when over it, and it still shows up in the docks and shelves tab. It doesnt ask me to delete it, it just goes invisible o_O. Im guessing this must be on my machine only?

Perhaps we are talking about different things. I mean dragging the icon that says 'Nexus'. Can you please show me before and after screenshots of your desktop (i.e.; how the dock looks before you drag the icon to the recycle bin and another with the Docks & Shelves Preferences tab open after you dropped the icon into the recycle bin)

Gibbz wrote:
It works if i put the mouse over a non hidden part of the dock, but if its completely behind a window it doesnt work.

Err... I would be pretty upset if a dock popped up every time I moved my mouse pointer to where the dock is BEHIND that window, as this would happen more times accidentally than on purpose.

Here is what you can do: open the Dock Properties dialog for that dock. Now, in the Position & Behavior tab, click on the Advanced button. Now give that dock a particular activation method - can be a keyboard shortcut or a screen edge bump with your mouse pointer. You can now use that activation method to bring the dock forward any time you need it.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]