Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Minimizing to dock (Nexus Dock)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 am 

I feature I would really like to have is to be able to minimize to the dock by a click. For instance, I would click once to open firefox and click again to minimize it to dock. As of right now, it will just keep opening new windows of firefox. Is nexus dock capable of doing this? Didn't really find anything in the settings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not yet, nor will you find any docks in Windows that do this, AFAIK. Docks under Windows have a more pronounced 'program launching' role rather than acting as task managers (the latter was added to Windows docks almost like an 'after-thought').

Under Windows, and until Windows 7, it was up to the user and to the application itself to launch (or not) multiple copies of itself.

It is only with the advent of the Windows 7 "superbar" that this original NeXT/Mac OSX feature, in which the icon to launch a program is also the icon representing it as a running application, is finally embraced by Microsoft.

The ability for dock icons to act both as a program launcher and a task icon (and a lot of the "Superbar" ability, like fluid grouped window thumbnails, which is already a feature of the NextSTART's taskbar in Winstep Xtreme) will probably be added in the next release of Nexus.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:47 pm 

Oh i see, looks like I will probably buy the extreme once it is out. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Minimizing to dock (Nexus Dock)
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:31 pm 

@WINSTEP

I think this is an old post, but my question is still about "minimizing to dock" so I'm trying here.

It seems that this feature has been implemented for many years now, ie. on Nexus dock, when I left click on an open app, it minimizes to the dock.

My question is about the animation of the app when it is being minimized. Is there some setting that controls this?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, nor will there be anything to change that animation (which is the default Windows animation, all the dock does is tell Windows WHERE to direct the animation to). Trying to implement such a thing without OS integration would be like poking a bear with a stick in terms of performance - more trouble than it would be worth.

You can always try asking Microsoft for different minimize/restore animations, though. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:45 pm 

winstep wrote:
No, nor will there be anything to change that animation (which is the default Windows animation, all the dock does is tell Windows WHERE to direct the animation to). Trying to implement such a thing without OS integration would be like poking a bear with a stick in terms of performance - more trouble than it would be worth.

Gotcha, and I like the analogy :wink:

Animations aside, I'm still trying to figure out what Nexus dock supports in terms of "left click" to minimize an open app. It seems to work if the app is open but not as a fully maximized window. Is that correct? Is that intentional?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not seeing that problem here.

Care to provide more details? Is the dock set to always on top? Are you clicking on an item on the left side of the dock (pinned items) or right side of the dock (running applications)? Does it matter? Does it happen with all applications? Etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:02 am 

winstep wrote:
Not seeing that problem here.

Care to provide more details? Is the dock set to always on top? Are you clicking on an item on the left side of the dock (pinned items) or right side of the dock (running applications)? Does it matter? Does it happen with all applications? Etc...

Sorry for the late reply. (I'm now on my recently purchased/renewed Nexus Ultimate :) ).

Yes- the dock set to always on top (ie. Z-order, though it doesn't make a difference) I'm clicking on items on the left side of the dock (pinned items) AND running apps on the right side. (Doesn't make a difference) Happens with all applications...

To reiterate:This only happens when the open app's window is at maximum size. If it is at less than max size, left clicking on the dock icon does minimize the app.

See this screen shot (video): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sBq6ro ... sp=sharing

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]