Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Problems with Start Menu internal command
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:24 am 

I just found out about nexus and have started testing it. So far so good, but I have noticed issues with the start menu button.

1. when clicking on the start menu, then clicking on all programs, I see an odd behavior. The menu seems to quickly switch between the recently opened programs and the expanded menus back and forth several times.
2. When I mouse over the right hand side of the start menu, i.e. control panel, computer... , the button is highlighted and never returns to its original color.
3. I tried to take a desktop snapshot with the capture tool provided in nexus for an example of issue 2, and now my start menu will not work at all. I even tried restarting the system.

Also, the email checker will not work with gmail.

I find it hard to make a purchase decision with these types of issues.

Overall, I really like what I see with nexus and if I can work through these issues I would be willing to purchase the full version.

Regards,
Michael Schwartz

Post subject: Re: Problems with Start Menu internal command
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 am 

Micheal, you didn't mention what other programs you have running or your windoes version or graphics card driver. Nexus does not do that for me .
Thanks
s

Profile YIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:17 am 

Sorry for the lack of info.
Hardware - Windows 7 Pro X64, Asus P6T deluxe V2 with 10.03 bios, six gigs of corsair tri channel ddr3, and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with most recent drivers.
Software:
Google Chrome
HP Digital Imaging Monitor
Eset Smart security
Syncing.net
Logitech webcam software.
Office 2007

issue #1 occurs on both my desktop and my laptop, however, issue #2 only happens on the desktop. Issue #3 fixed. I had to delete the start menu dock item and re-insert it. Had to do this twice before it started behaving.

Thanks...

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Problem with the Start Menu is not with Nexus itself - Microsoft keeps changing this stuff with no thought for 3rd party utilities (well, it is *their* OS, you have to give it to them).

The Start Menu button in Nexus will work fine under all Windows versions *except* Windows 7. For 7, MS reasoning must have been 'why keep it simple when we can make it as convoluted as possible'.

Under 7 the Start Menu will ONLY work properly if it appears in its original position. 8 pixels more to the left or to the right, and the whole thing falls apart - whatever hack they are using to add that black glass texture to the Start Menu, will not work if the menu is not where it is supposed to be (which explains the highlight problem). Worse, if you then click on All Programs, every frame in the animated transition effect will try to move the menu back to the original position (the flicker you see is Nexus and Windows fighting for control of the Start Menu position).

I figured it would be better to have the menu appearing next to the Nexus Start Menu button even with all the little problems (it *is* functional, after all) than having it appear at the original location, but it's obvious that I was wrong as people think of this as a bug, not in Windows but in Nexus.

In the next release the Start Menu will pop up at the original location under Windows 7 and that is that. Blame it on Microsoft if you want. :evil:

As for the Email Checker, it _was_ working with Gmail until a few months ago, when Google decided to change something on their side. Now the Gmail server simple closes the connection right at the initial 'Client Hello' stage of the SSL protocol. No idea why, as there is no information at Google about what was changed - I know because I searched hi and lo for it.

I do suspect, based on what I read, that now they might only be allowing *specific* email clients through (IIRC, they got burned a few months ago over security concerns).

If you can find an Email Checker that works with Gmail these days, please feel free to let me know. All I can say is that I will look deeper into this again, but only once I have the time - the Email Checker, after all, is only a very, very, small part of Nexus, and there are other much more important things that take priority at this point (like adding a native Stacks docklet and Windows 7 "Superbar" behavior to Nexus, for instance).

I'm sorry you feel that these minor issues are reason enough for you not to purchase Nexus Ultimate, but I do understand your reasoning.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:14 am 

Jorge,

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my post. I hope that MS and Google provide you with the info you need to make this app a complete success.

Regard,
Mike Schwartz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My pleasure. :D

I won't be holding my breath in terms of getting that info, though. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:34 pm 

Jorge,
Maybe I'm being obtuse, but why is there a need for the 'Start Menu Button' when all you need to do is hit the 'Windows' key(or have the button output the value "E0_5B")?
Just curious,
Grouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First, not everybody likes to use a keyboard shortcut (or even know there is one).

Second, the idea was to have the Start Menu appear next to the Start Menu icon in the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:07 am 

Jorge,
Okay! Weird! I put a button on the dock before, and it opened in the default position, so I deleted it. I just tried it now, and it appeared on the dock. I experience the flickering effect that you mentioned(kinda disconcerting). I have disabled all of the 'Aero' effects(Windows 7 Basic).
Thanks,
Grouch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep. Well, for next release the Start Menu will appear in the default position if running under Win7 - wonder how many people will complain then because of this. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :roll:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]