Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: MOVING files when Drag&Drop
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:17 pm 

Hi

Drag&Droping allows ONLY to copy file. Do you plan to extend this feature and allow also MOVING of files as stated in feature description?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: MOVING files when Drag&Drop
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi!

Just as it happens in Windows, press SHIFT when dragging to move the file instead of copying.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am 

winstep wrote:
Hi!

Just as it happens in Windows, press SHIFT when dragging to move the file instead of copying.

Hi Jorge

I was about to ask the same question as above. As I like my desktop tidy, I have a couple of folders I put temporary odds and ends in rather than having them all over the place. I tried putting the folders on my dock, but regardless of what I try Nexus Ultimate only COPIES the files, ie using Shift does NOT move files into the folders. (As my settings are set to default to move rather than copy I'd have thought a drag and drop would move them anyway.)

So, if not, why not and can we please have it? :)

Cheers
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to clarify: you created shortcuts to a couple of folders in a Nexus dock and this has nothing to do with the Shelf (tabbed dock), right? Now you want to move files into the folders via drag & drop but the files get copied instead of moved...

To make sure we are on the same track, exactly how are you trying to move the files (step by step, please)?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:57 am 

winstep wrote:
Just to clarify: you created shortcuts to a couple of folders in a Nexus dock and this has nothing to do with the Shelf (tabbed dock), right? Now you want to move files into the folders via drag & drop but the files get copied instead of moved...

To make sure we are on the same track, exactly how are you trying to move the files (step by step, please)?

Yes, that's it - a dock, not the shelf. I have my Downloads and another random folder in a Nexus dock. If it's relevant, both actual folders are on my D: drive, as is my Desktop.

Hide Desktop icons is not checked in Nexus (because that hides any files on the desktop as well) but my System desktop icons (Recycle, my Computer etc.) are hidden. In other words the only things visible on my desktop are Nexus Shelf, one Nexus dock and whatever files I have saved there. Very minimalist! :)

Now, say I save a file of any description to the Desktop then want to Move it into the folder on the dock ...

I hold down my mouse button + Shift and drag the file icon over the dock icon to drop it. As I drag the file over the dock, the text "Link" and a Shortcut arrow appear under the mouse pointer. A copy of the file is placed in the folder, the original remains on the desktop. That is, a true copy of the file itself is added to the folder, not a shortcut. (After this I can safely delete the files/s on the desktop - which is what I have beem doing.)

I have also tried using Right Mouse Button drag and drop which SHOULD give me the option to either Move or Copy, but doesn't.

What I would like is for the linked folder/s on the dock to behave like the Recycler.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, you were right (and my apologies for the delay in replying): files dropped into shortcuts to folders where always being copied to the target folder.

I've fixed this for next release so that not only you can now copy or move (by pressing either CTRL or SHIFT) as you get a visual confirmation of the action that will be performed.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:28 pm 

Excellent - thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]