Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:19 am 

Ok, I've just read the FAQs found at http://www.winstep.net/xtremefaq.asp and spent about 2hrs configuring Nexus Xtreme v10.6 trial. I now have the following issues if someone would be kind enogh to help out.

1) Below is the text from one of the FAQs. However, when I choose Preferences from the Nexus

Control icon on its Dock, or from the WorkShelf Preferences, I get the same Preferences window.

Q) Is there a way to backup all my Winstep Xtreme settings?
A) Yes, but for giving the user the most flexibility, you have to do a separate backup for each

Winstep application: to backup NextSTART settings, open the Advanced tab of NextSTART Preferences and

click on the Backup button. To backup your current dock, Shelf, and module settings, open the

Advanced tab of WorkShelf Preferences and click on the Backup Button.

2) Preferences, General, "Hide Windows Taskbar" doesn't work. However, if I close Nexus the Windows

Taskbar auto hides.

3) How do I set the Dock, NextStart, Startmenu theme back to the defualt?

4) How do I hide the WorkShelf when Windows Taskbar is hidden?

5) Shelf Properties, Behavior, "Select a different tab just by mousing over it" does not work.

6) This setting does not exist.

Q) How do I prevent NextSTART from replacing my Windows taskbar?
A) Open the Taskbar tab in NextSTART Preferences and uncheck the 'Allow NextSTART to replace the

Windows taskbar' setting.

7) How do I access the "built-in Menu Editor"?

Thank you,

Ken

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CaptainKen wrote:
spent about 2hrs configuring Nexus Xtreme v10.6 trial. I now have the following issues if someone would be kind enogh to help out.

1) Below is the text from one of the FAQs. However, when I choose Preferences from the Nexus Control icon on its Dock, or from the WorkShelf Preferences, I get the same Preferences window.

Well, the first think I have to ask you before we go any further, is what are you actually running?

You seem to have confused 'Winstep Xtreme' (the full suite) with 'Nexus' (the free stand alone version of the Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme dock). If we don't get the terms right, we will only end up confusing ourselves. :D

Assuming you are running Xtreme:

1. To access global WorkShelf Preferences, click on 'Preferences' in the context menu. To access the configuration dialog for a single Nexus dock, right click the dock's control icon and select 'Dock Properties' *instead of* Preferences.

Otherwise you can also access the Properties dialog for individual docks and the Shelf in the Docks & Shelves tab of WorkShelf Preferences.

2. What do you mean by 'If I close Nexus'?

3. Just the theme? Open WorkShelf or NextSTART Preferences and go to the Themes tab. Select the 'Aero Low Res' theme and press Ok.

If what you want is to revert the settings back to the default, then you will have to do this from both NextSTART and WorkShelf Preferences.

For WorkShelf, open WorkShelf Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Troubleshooting Options -> Reset Settings Only. For NextSTART, open NextSTART Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Troubleshooting Options -> Reset Settings Only.

4. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You've got to give me more details, sorry. Do you want to permanently hide the Shelf, is that it? If so, not sure what that has to do with the Windows taskbar being hidden or not, sorry.

5. Yes it does, but only when the the Shelf is NOT collapsed (no sense in switching the tabs of a collapsed Shelf). What you seem to want can be accomplished by **also** enabling the 'Activate the Shelf on Mouse Over' setting.

6. What setting?

7. Open NextSTART Preferences -> Menus tab -> Menu Editor button.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 pm 

Thank you for your quick and detailed response.

I think this will be much easier then corresponding back and forth. Please see the screencast for details.

http://www.captainken.us/files/nexus/NexusXtremeSetupIssues.wmv

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, very cool! :D

Loved your screencast, makes it a million times easier to understand what you mean. I'm still halfway through it, but let me start replying already:

A major source of confusion (and understandably so) has to do with the several components of the Winstep Xtreme suite, so let me see if I clear that up.

You can divide Xtreme into the following:

1. Shelf (tabbed dock).
2. Nexus Docks.
3. Destkop Modules.
4. Task Management (taskbar), menus and hotspots.
5. Start Menu Organizer.

In order to save resources (and for historical reasons which I'll explain below), the Shelf, Nexus docks and Desktop Modules (so components 1 to 3) have been merged into a single executable (WorkShelf.exe) and share a common Preferences GUI under the WorkShelf logo. On the other hand, since you can have more than one dock, each dock also has its own individual Properties panel. Same for the Shelf (although currently you can only have one Shelf, as you've probably guessed by now, the plan is to be able to have as many as you want in the future, just like docks).

So, under Winstep Xtreme, WorkShelf = Nexus + Shelf + Desktop Modules.

NextSTART (NextSTART.exe), on the other hand, is the application responsible for the alternate skinnable taskbar, customizable menus and hotspots (component 4 above).

The Start Menu Organizer (WsOrganizer.exe), is also a stand alone application dedicated to organizing the Windows Start Menu.

One of the reasons this ended up like this also has to do with the history of Winstep. Winstep started back in 1999 with NextSTART, which began as a simple menu system to emulate the look of other OSs and complement/replace the Windows Start Menu. Eventually NextSTART evolved into a complex and powerful application capable of not only replacing the Windows Start Menu but also the Windows taskbar.

Some time later, WorkShelf was also released - the Shelf. The idea to add free-form Desktop Modules/Widgets to WorkShelf to complement the in-shelf icon modules came a short time later too. To keep things simple and save resources, because Desktop and In-Shelf modules share a lot of the code, it was decided to have everything running from the same executable instead of splitting each module into individual executables.

A much antecipated (at the time) dock type application which would be called 'Nexus' was also planned from the very begining, but it remained vaporware for many years.

At the time, NextSTART and WorkShelf were sold as individual applications. It wasn't until some time later that the Nexus dock made it's appearance and the whole thing started being sold together as 'Winstep Xtreme'. Again, to keep things simple and save resources, the Nexus dock, which at first was supposed to be a separate application, became it too part of WorkShelf (and by extension also a component of Winstep Xtreme).

Things stayed like this until early 2009, when a decision was made to market a stand-alone, free version, of the Nexus dock that is part of Xtreme.

This free version of Nexus was so successful that it created the need for a new paid product: Nexus Ultimate. Nexus Ultimate is essentially WorkShelf minus the Desktop modules, and it is an important product because Winstep Xtreme is just 'too much' for some users.

So now you know how convoluted these things can get. As they say, hindsight always gives you 20/20 vision, unfortunately it's only after the fact. :wink:

When you run Winstep Xtreme, besides getting the dock, desktop modules and the Shelf, you also get a new skinnable taskbar that replaces the normal Windows taskbar. As I explained above, this replacement taskbar is provided by NextSTART.

Now, when you say you are closing Nexus, if you look closely what you are actually doing is exiting Winstep Xtreme. This closes down WorkShelf *and* NextSTART.

If you really don't want a taskbar at all, then click on the Start Button of the NextSTART taskbar, open the Settings sub-menu and click on 'Preferences'. This will open NextSTART Preferences. Navigate to the Taskbar tab in Preferences and uncheck 'Allow NextSTART to replace the Windows taskbar'. This will bring your Windows taskbar back, which can then be hidden via the appropriate setting in the General tab.

Of course, if what you really want to do is auto-hide the NextSTART taskbar, instead of clearing the 'Allow NextSTART to replace...' setting, click on the Taskbar Settings button, enable 'Auto-Hide after a short delay', click the Advanced button, and select 'Hide into screen edge...'.

As you are probably begining to realize, Winstep Xtreme is very easy to use if you stick to the defaults, but once you start tinkering with it, behind that simplicity is an extremely powerful, flexible, and complex suite of applications. Winstep Xtreme is a power user wet dream because everything is customizable - the drawback is that once you go beyond the basics, you run into a learning curve.

For instance, context menus in WorkShelf (Nexus+Shelf+Desktop modules) are skinned by NextSTART. When you change the NextSTART theme, you also change the skin of the context menus in WorkShelf (probably the cause of the problem you run into). You can change this behavior by opening WorkShelf Preferences -> Themes -> Advanced -> Context Menu Options.

As for having the very top of the Shelf tabs still visible when you collapse the Shelf, that is by design. The Windows taskbar does exactly the same thing when it auto-hides, so you know it's there.

The other issue is with the way the NextSTART taskbar hides by default. Instead of hiding down into the screen edge, it slides to the side until only the handle is visible. Again, you can change this behavior by following the instructions I gave you above to auto-hide the taskbar. Unfortunately you will still have an empty space (this and the taskbar sliding instead of hiding into the screen edge by default have to do with a problem with the Windows taskbar still reserving screen space even when hidden, which has been solved for the next release). Since your *Windows* taskbar is already set to auto-hide, here is what you can do to solve the problem: in the Taskbar Settings dialog, clear the 'prevent maximized windows from overlapping the taskbar' and enable 'Always keep above other windows'.

The next release will handle these issues better.

As for the tab mouse over: you need to close the Shelf Properties dialog first for it to work - and keep in mind there is a short delay (as in half a second) before the tab is automatically selected when you mouse over it - keep the cursor still.

Lack of Taskbar tab: I think you already figured out why by now. You're looking in the wrong Preferences screen. Besides the Settings sub-menu of the main NextSTART menu, you can also open NextSTART Preferences through the system tray icon or by pressing CTRL+F12.

Magnification not working issue after applying the Unlighted theme: looks like a bug. Errr, let me rephrase that: It is a bug. The dock thinks it's hidden when it's obviously not (which is why it wasn't auto-hidding either) and then when you bumped the top screen edge it popped out again, which made the magnification work as normal.

The theme change that confused you: instead of changing the theme just for the Shelf (i.e.; via the Shelf Properties dialog) you changed the theme via the WorkShelf themes tab with 'WorkShelf (All Items)' selected in the combo box. This changes the theme for EVERYTHING (docks, Shelf, desktop modules) including NextSTART's menus and taskbar, because the whole suite is integrated (i.e.; change the global theme in WorkShelf, NextSTART will also assume the new look - and vice-versa).

For your information, you can change this behavior in WorkShelf Preferences -> Themes tab -> Advanced -> Winstep Theme Integration. Also, not only can you change the individual theme of each object (docks, shelf, desktop modules, etc...) but it's also possible to lock the current theme of an object so it remains the same even when you change the global theme.

Now, keep in mind that Winstep Xtreme can change not only the way the Windows User Interface *looks* but also the way it *feels* (works): you changed the theme to the NeXT OS theme - if you're familiar with that Operating System, which was created by Steve Jobs when he left Apple and before he went back to it, it doesn't have a taskbar or a Start Button. It has task buttons (which was the stuff at the top of your screen which you were wondering what it was).

The easiest way to sort the 'mess' you got into was to change the current 'WorkShelf (All Items)' theme to Aero Low Res (which would have restored the previous look of your context menus and the NextSTART taskbar), and then change the individual themes of the Shelf and the dock.

The reason why the Reset Settings button in Troubleshooting did not work completely was because that resets the settings for the WorkShelf application only. To reset the settings for NextSTART, you would have to done the same in NextSTART Preferences (that missing Preferences screen explains a lot, heh? I bet a lot of things are starting to make sense now).

There is a LOT of stuff hidden behind the surface of Winstep Xtreme which you still don't know about - but keep tinkering with it and it will soon start to make a lot of sense. By then you will have realized how powerful this stuff really is. ;-)

Of course, you just started using Winstep Xtreme and you are already diving head deep, unlike most users. Well, at least that is part of the fun. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:27 am 

Hey thank you for taking time time on a Sunday to watch my screencast and for such a detailed reply!

Yep the NextStart, Startmenu, Settings, Preferences was what was eluding me. In fact, once it opened I remembered that I had seen it and tinkered with it during my original install. That finally brought everything together....well that and all your tips! :lol:

The Shelf Preferences, Behavior, "Select a diffent tab by mousing over it" still is not working. I made sure the preferences and properties windows were all closed, and moved the move over a tab, and took my hand off the mouse for a full minute. I also tried turning it off and on.

I think I found another little bug. The taskbar handle (when taskbar is collapsed, not expanded) jumps to the right side after changing some settings. Then after you click on it once it moves itself back to the left side.

I assume that the two backup files (NextStart and Workshelf) contain any all all setings and can therefore be moved to other PC's for cloning?

SUGESTIONS
1) Have you considered combining all these programs and simply turning various components Nextus Docks, Shelf, Desktop Mods, Task Management, Start Menu Org on and off via different activation codes? The Free version, Ultimate, Xtreme, etc would all be determined by an activation code. Then you could have one central preferences interface, and still allow for each component to have it's own properties interface. It would be a lot more user friendly, which would hopefully turn into more sales of the higher end product for you. That seems to be a common way of handling situations like this?

2) It would be nice if the built-in windows wallpapers were also listed in the Preferences, Themes, Wallpapers section.

3) I like being able to access the taskbar, and that it is hidden until you click the handle. However, a cleaner way would be like how you handle hidding the NextStart menu until the upper left corner of screen is bumped.

Well I've got the interface tweaked the way I think I'll like it, so now all I have to do is decide what I want on the Dock and then duplicate all my tabs from JetToolbar onto the Shelf.

Having a fourm like this and well attended by one of the software engineers speaks very loudly!

Thank you.

Ken

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:37 pm 

As I mentioned in my last post the Shelf Preferences, Behavior, "Select a different tab by mousing over it" still is not working.

Also, hiding the *Windows taskbar* is not working properly.

Please see screencast.
http://www.captainken.us/files/nexus/NexusWindowsTaskbarAndMouseOverIssues.wmv

Thank you.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heyah! Just watched your screencast and there is definitely something fishy going on in there.

I'm currently bushed after a very looooong day, so I'll have to look into this later, and get back to you as soon as I have figured out what's wrong.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ken, regarding the Taskbar:

Look in the General tab of BOTH NextSTART and WorkShelf Preferences. Do you have 'Hide Taskbar' selected in any of them?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:53 am 

I only see "Hide windows taskbar" in Workshelf, General.

Windows Taskbar is hidden if:
- NextStart, Taskbar, "Keep the windows Taskbar Visible" is checked
- WorkShelf, General, "Hide Windows taskbar" is checked

Windows Taskbar is hidden if:
- NextStart, Taskbar, "Keep the windows Taskbar Visible" is checked or unchecked
- WorkShelf, General, "Hide Windows taskbar" is checked

Windows taskbar is visible if:
- NextStart, Taskbar, "Keep the windows Taskbar Visible" is checked or unchecked
- WorkShelf, General, "Hide Windows taskbar" is not checked

Wow, the same setting on two different places in NextStart.
- NextStart, General, "Allow NextStart to replace Windows Taskbar"
- NextStart, Taskbar, "Allow NextStart to replace Windows Taskbar"

The deeper I get into this I see that there are so many combinations, this is daunting! I think we need a matrix.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, the problem in your video was because the 'Hide Windows Taskbar' setting was checked in WorkShelf, right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:48 pm 

So what's happening is if you enable WorkShelf, General, "Hide Windows taskbar" then the following happens:

NextStart, Taskbar, "Keep the windows Taskbar Visible" is ignored unless EITHER the
NextStart, Taskbar, "Allow NextStart to replace Windows Taskbar"
OR
NextStart, General, "Allow NextStart to replace Windows Taskbar"

are enabled which cause the Windows taskbar to appear.

Then I still have the rollover tab issue.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know. Trying to nail that one. :(

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got it (or rather, Chuck, in the Beta forums did):

Chuck wrote:
However, when I go into the advanced behavior properties and select "Hide tabs when the shelf is collapsed", the behavior "Select a different tab just by mousing over it" no longer works when the shelf is not collapsed. I must click on the tab I want to use.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:56 am 

So this is a bug?

winstep wrote:
However, when I go into the advanced behavior properties and select "Hide tabs when the shelf is collapsed", the behavior "Select a different tab just by mousing over it" no longer works when the shelf is not collapsed. I must click on the tab I want to use.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next