Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: NextStart as RightClick replacement
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm 

Hi there,

I am currently looking for a replacement of Stardock's RightClick which unfortunately doesn't work properly on Vista/Win7.

So I downloaded the Trial of WinstepExtreme today and managed to make a NextStart menu (Workshelf, Nexus and everything else is disabled as I don't need it), which pops-up when middle-clicking on the Desktop.

So far so good, and it works really well, but I have a couple of questions:

1. is it possible to tell NextStart to use the current WindowBlind skin?

2. why is using the middle mouse button the only choice? Is it possible to use the right mouse button as well?

3. Is it a limitation of the trial that NextStart doesn't seem to remember any changes? If no, how can I make them 'stick' or back them up?

Post subject: Re: NextStart as RightClick replacement
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. No. On the other hand, there are hundreds of different free Winstep themes available at Wincustomize, most of them a match to existing WindowBlinds themes. Even if you don't find an 'exact match', you should be able to find a theme that goes along well with whatever WindowBlinds skin you are currently using.

2. You can create a hotspot activated by right-clicking on a predefined area on your Desktop, but you must be careful so it doesn't interfere with you right-clicking on desktop icons.

Why don't you just bump the top left corner of your monitor with the mouse pointer instead? That hotspot is already active by default, and a bump is still much faster than a right click (just flick your wrist and 'throw' the mouse pointer onto the top left screen corner).

3. What do you mean? NextSTART remembers its settings when you exit it (or at least should). Can you provide an example? Are you exiting NextSTART normally?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:39 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply.

1: Pitty. It would have been much easier if I only had to change the WB-Skin. You mentioned in another post that most of the skinning options had been removed from the newest version as they will be included in a new skinning tool. Do you have an ETA on that? The next best thing to using the WB-Skin would be to quickly make a menu by myself.

2. Thanks I will try that. Right-clicking has just become a habit I guess. :)

3. That was my fault. Even though I hit 'apply' after each new personalisation, I then exited NextStart by closing the window with the 'x' in the upper right corner, instead of pressing 'ok'. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. ETA is about 1 month - but don't hold me to it, please. :D

3. Yeah, that would be the same as pressing Cancel. :wink: You don't need to press Apply, by the way, unless you want to preview something - just Ok.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]