Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Bug: Screen edge bump w/ fullscreen app not working
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 pm 

Nexus 10.06.0911, Windows XP

When using an application in fullscreen mode (e.g. PuTTy, Firefox), activation of Nexus by bumping a screen edge (or in the case of auto-hide) doesn't work. I can understand how this might be desirable for fullscreen games, but for other fullscreen applications this may not be the desired behavior. Perhaps an option to opt out of this behavior (or even more elegant, the ability to manually list programs for which such an opt-out should occur) would be best.

Ideas?

Post subject: Re: Nexus Bug: Screen edge bump w/ fullscreen app not workin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You do realize, however, that what you classified as a bug, isn't a bug at all, but a feature? :wink:

Instead of running fullscreen, run the application maximized. Full screen means 'I'm taking over, do not disturb'.

This said, I'll obviously think about the cons and pros of your suggestion. If anyone else feels the same way, plese speak up now, it would help bump the priority of such an 'exception' list. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:38 pm 

winstep wrote:
You do realize, however, that what you classified as a bug, isn't a bug at all, but a feature? :wink:

Instead of running fullscreen, run the application maximized. Full screen means 'I'm taking over, do not disturb'.

True when accounting only for one display. I have a dual display setup with the dock on display one with the fullscreen app on display two. I think that the behavior in this situation ought to be that bumping the bottom edge of display one should bring up/show the hidden/obscured dock.

Also, running some applications fullscreen has obvious aesthetic benefits over running it maximized.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gongloo wrote:
True when accounting only for one display. I have a dual display setup with the dock on display one with the fullscreen app on display two. I think that the behavior in this situation ought to be that bumping the bottom edge of display one should bring up/show the hidden/obscured dock.

Ah. See? Now THAT makes a lot more sense than building an exclusion list (I have a triple display setup, by the way :P ).

gongloo wrote:
Also, running some applications fullscreen has obvious aesthetic benefits over running it maximized.

But then you also have to accept what running an app full screen implies. If I'm watching a full screen Youtube video in my primary monitor and then click on a window in one of the other monitors, the full screen session automatically reverts back to window mode. Would you classify this as a bug?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 pm 

winstep wrote:
gongloo wrote:

Ah. See? Now THAT makes a lot more sense than building an exclusion list (I have a triple display setup, by the way :P ).

Shall I take this to mean that said behavior will be implemented in the next release? :wink:

winstep wrote:
If I'm watching a full screen Youtube video in my primary monitor and then click on a window in one of the other monitors, the full screen session automatically reverts back to window mode. Would you classify this as a bug?

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gongloo wrote:
Shall I take this to mean that said behavior will be implemented in the next release? :wink:

Possibly. Still have to look into all the possible consequences of this (if any).

gongloo wrote:
winstep wrote:
Would you classify this as a bug?

Yes.

And you would be wrong. That is 'intended behavior', not 'unintended behavior'. :wink:

Unfortunately you can't please all the people all the time. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:00 pm 

So, how can I make the doc or shelf appear if I have an app maximized (like chrome or firefox)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First, as I said above, maximized is NOT the same as full screen.

You can maximize Firefox and the dock will still appear when you bump the screen edge. Apparently Chrome played some trick where it run full screen even when maximized, but I have the latest version of Chrome installed here and I have no trouble bringing the dock forward when Chrome is maximized.

So, the answer is: run the browsers maximized instead of full screen.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 pm 

If I click on the 'maximize' button on chrome then the edge bump doesn't work for me. Is it a setting that I have clicked on that prevents this from happening. If I click on it again 'restore down' then it will work again but any window that I have 'maximized' appears to disable the edge bump. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, try the following: open an Explorer window showing the contents of your C: drive. Now maximize that. Does the edge bump still work? I bet it will. :D

Also, check this thread here. F11 in Chrome toggles Full Screen mode.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]