Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Possible bug in Start Menu Organizer Pro?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 am 

The following is repeatable:
In the Un-Categorized Start Menu Items, if I click the plus sign to try and expand Administrative Tools, the program crashes with the following error:
Stop Statement Encountered.

Post subject: Re: Possible bug in Start Menu Organizer Pro?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh ยง#!"!!!

That's not even a 'bug' - I forgot to remove a 'Stop' statement in the code when I was testing something in the last release! Man.

Anyway, you can download an update that fixes this problem from here:

http://www.winstep.net/organizer-exe.zip

Unzip and replace the WsOrganizer.exe file in C:\Program Files\Winstep\ (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\ for 64 bit systems) with the new executable.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm 

:lol: Thank you, that's much better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 pm 

Hi I downloaded and installed Winstep Extreme and made the decision to make my first stop organizing my start menu. it was going great I had applied changes a few times and everything was saved nicely.

I then did a long stretch of changes hit administative tools and it kicked me out the program (thanks to the stop message) my start menu was then completely bu**ered.

All the shortcuts in several categories had gone completely (including accessories) I copied the shortcuts from my laptop to the desktop for accessories which was OK for one group at least, then I reinstalled the software (as all the Winstep shortcuts had gone too) and now the start menu organizer just doesn't save the changes anymore.

For example I have an internet group which has several sub categories including Web Browsers, Web Development etc (all the shortcuts had gone from these). So whilst a bit pi**ed off I thought OK lets just try and sort it so I created shortcuts. And dragged and dropped them to the start menu before running the start menu organizer again.

Once running I move them into the relevent subcategory, hit apply and quit out, the changes are lost, infact the sub categories don't even show in the start menu. Any ideas?

I have been at this for hours now and am beginning to wish I had never started it so if you can suggest a resolution I would be grateful. I accept that I cannot get my missing shortcuts back but I cannot even get any new ones in now. :?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Let's start with this first:
Did you download the fix mentioned earlier and does your problem still occur in there?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He can't! It's been sitting on Cnet's Download.com release queue for OVER a week.

Wiff, this said, you can still download the v1.4 version directly from the Winstep web site at

http://www.winstep.net/organizer.zip

Quote:
I then did a long stretch of changes hit administative tools and it kicked me out the program (thanks to the stop message) my start menu was then completely bu**ered.

One thing to point out, though: the Start Menu Organizer won't do ANY changes to your Windows Start Menu until you click Ok or Apply. So, if the program had crashed before you applied any changes, the 'only thing' lost would have been your re-organizing work.

Quote:
then I reinstalled the software

Big mistake there, sorry to say. When you first run the Organizer, it makes an automatic backup of your Start Menu. Restoring from this backup would have brought your original Start Menu back.

Unfortunately uninstalling the Organizer also removes this initial backup. Or did you just install again ON TOP?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 pm 

I haven't used this feature yet so I'm not familiar with it. Is this fix only available manually, or will it be available as an update through the program?

In other words, can I click on Check for Updates and it will do it automatically along with any other things that might be available?

For the record, I just did, and it shows that I'm up to date.

Also, is this feature only available if you use the Winstep taskbar. I think when I first installed the program I tinkered around with it and couldn't figure it out. I forgot about it until now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Winstep Start Menu Organizer is also part of Winstep Xtreme (look in your Winstep Start Menu folder). The fix for the version that goes with Winstep Xtreme will be available on the next release of Xtreme. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:34 pm 

Thanks. I see now. I use XP so that might have been part of the reason I decided to leave it as is. I still might use it though after checking things out further.

If I had Vista I would change it in a heart-beat. I can't stand the Vista Start Menu. It made a decent Start Menu (XP) into a unwieldy mess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:40 am 

Quote:
He can't! It's been sitting on Cnet's Download.com release queue for OVER a week.

You need to check the download package, because the one I downloaded from CNET (from your download button), on the day I purchased your software (same day as my original post), contained the "breakpoint" message, would I have seen it otherwise?!?!

Quote:
Wiff, this said, you can still download the v1.4 version directly from the Winstep web site at

http://www.winstep.net/organizer.zip

Yes, I downloaded the fix after I got the problem, as I did not know I was in need of a fix until the problem occured!!

Quote:
One thing to point out, though: the Start Menu Organizer won't do ANY changes to your Windows Start Menu until you click Ok or Apply. So, if the program had crashed before you applied any changes, the 'only thing' lost would have been your re-organizing work.

Pleeease, I am a software developer by profession I have been working with computers for 25 years, I think I realise that Apply or OK is necessary to save the changes (However I do appreciate that you would not know this!), but in this case it still corrupted the start menu. :D

Quote:
Big mistake there, sorry to say. When you first run the Organizer, it makes an automatic backup of your Start Menu. Restoring from this backup would have brought your original Start Menu back.

Nice to know, perhaps this should be made more apparent when you install it, although I have to say I am one to read the instructions later so may not have seen it anyway unless it were a big flashing message. :D

Quote:
Unfortunately uninstalling the Organizer also removes this initial backup. Or did you just install again ON TOP?

Firstly I reinstalled over the top, when this did not have the desired effect (i.e it would not save the categories) I then uninstalled the lot (by this point I was wishing I had never bought it) and reinstalled it.

Problem was still there. I.e in the start organiser it showed the categories and it would not save the changes to the start menu.

The resolution to this issue was that I had to use the standard Windows explore all and manually add the missing category folders then run the Start Organiser, then try adding items to the category again. This seemed to work!

I have now managed to get it synchronising OK, the downside I wasted a day, the upside it forced e to look through Program Files for shortcuts and allowed me to tidy up redundant folders. :wink:

IN SUMMARY:
I am sure this will be the start of a beautiful relationship with your software, but I am sorry to say that however unlikely the recurrence of this set of circumstances (i.e if the updated version is now in the package maybe it will never happen again), there is an issue with the Start Organiser, of that I am sure! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]