Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Suggestions: Sub-shelves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

To keep it short, let me explain it in an example.
Let's say I got a dock exclusively for games, but it is getting too cluttered.
With Winstep Xtreme and Nexus Ultimate, I can make sub-docks (for example, put all games that I regularly play online in a sub-dock called Online and so on).

This is basically what I'd like to see in shelves. I do realise that I can create another tab, but I'd prefer having this solution:
I got the shelf tab for games (along with for example a shelf tab for applications, for "My Computer" and so on). By activating the Games tab I get everything that is in the tab and sub-tabs. However, it has another row of tabs called "Online", "RPG", "Shooters" and so on. By activating for example online, it would be basically just showing everything that has the 'label' online.

I hope that you catch my idea.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions: Sub-shelves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You do know that you can have sub-docks on the Shelf tabs, no? :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
You do know that you can have sub-docks on the Shelf tabs, no? :wink:

Must've missed it but can't find out how to :shock: And as far as I know I'm running the latest version of Winstep Xtreme (version 10.6).

Let me worship your wisest advice and do a facepalm when I realise what I missed.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not so fast with the worshipping. The capability is there, but in that version it is still pretty awkward: you need to create a new sub-dock, fill it up with stuff (at least one item) and then drag that dock's Nexus control icon to a regular tab in the Shelf.

Serves me right for not having re-visited that feature before. If it's any consolation, in-Shelf dock management has been GREATLY improved in the next release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Not so fast with the worshipping. The capability is there, but in that version it is still pretty awkward: you need to create a new sub-dock, fill it up with stuff (at least one item) and then drag that dock's Nexus control icon to a regular tab in the Shelf.

Serves me right for not having re-visited that feature before. If it's any consolation, in-Shelf dock management has been GREATLY improved in the next release.

In that case, I'll look forward to the next release :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm 

whenever i rerun windows and after i have installed winstep and hidden my desktop icons, i create a folder on the desktop called desktop shortcuts. i drag all of most used programs shortcuts into it and make it the bottom most icon on the nexus dock. don't know if this will help you, but it is an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

krazdkiller wrote:
whenever i rerun windows and after i have installed winstep and hidden my desktop icons, i create a folder on the desktop called desktop shortcuts. i drag all of most used programs shortcuts into it and make it the bottom most icon on the nexus dock. don't know if this will help you, but it is an idea.

Too bad all shortcuts are already inside the shelf ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:29 pm 

kutagh wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

no they are not, there are plenty of apps where you have to go to the programs menu and sendto desktop as shortcut. plus with accessing them form the workshelf you get everything else that is on your desktop listed in that tab, unless you want to create a tab just for shortcuts. either method works.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

krazdkiller wrote:
kutagh wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

no they are not, there are plenty of apps where you have to go to the programs menu and sendto desktop as shortcut. plus with accessing them form the workshelf you get everything else that is on your desktop listed in that tab, unless you want to create a tab just for shortcuts. either method works.

I meant that all my shortcuts are already in the shelf and that I'll just wait for the sub-docks in shelves. I wouldn't mind being able to organize my games a bit more :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:55 pm 

kutagh, now on that desktop shorcuts tab i only created it to show you how it would look no the shelf. other than desktop, main, and themes my tabs on the shelf all point to my other drives. even for doc's they are a folder on the nexus dock. nexus is recycler, Docs, control panel, network, computer, firefox, outlook, and desktop shortcuts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:19 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

krazdkiller wrote:
kutagh, now on that desktop shorcuts tab i only created it to show you how it would look no the shelf. other than desktop, main, and themes my tabs on the shelf all point to my other drives. even for doc's they are a folder on the nexus dock. nexus is recycler, Docs, control panel, network, computer, firefox, outlook, and desktop shortcuts.

I understand what you mean but I'm looking for something different than you are talking about ;) I don't want more tabs on my shelf, I want to be able to categorize WITHIN a tab (just like on a dock with sub-docks).

Let's show what I already got:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:17 pm 

kutagh wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

I understand what you mean but I'm looking for something different than you are talking about ;) I don't want more tabs on my shelf, I want to be able to categorize WITHIN a tab (just like on a dock with sub-docks).

once i started using winstep what i wanted to be able to do was create a single subdock with all of my program shorcuts on it. i gave up on that idea when i realized that i would have one long line of shortcuts. what i would like to see is the subdocks configurable so you the enduser can say i only wand 9 per row in the subdock. what i truely miss is in xp and vista being able to create a folder that did not have the navigation window, so all you saw was a folder with your shortcuts or files in it. it also took less space on the desktop. stockdocks fences comes close but you cannot hide it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

krazdkiller wrote:
kutagh wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

once i started using winstep what i wanted to be able to do was create a single subdock with all of my program shorcuts on it. i gave up on that idea when i realized that i would have one long line of shortcuts. what i would like to see is the subdocks configurable so you the enduser can say i only wand 9 per row in the subdock. what i truely miss is in xp and vista being able to create a folder that did not have the navigation window, so all you saw was a folder with your shortcuts or files in it. it also took less space on the desktop. stockdocks fences comes close but you cannot hide it.

And hence my suggestion for sub-shelves, that you get another row of tabs when in a tab with sub-shelves. Basically all shortcuts without said label wouldn't show up when a label is picked. That is exactly what I want ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]