Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Dock Icon Tooltips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:35 am 

First, let me say thanks for this awesome Nexus Dock. I have tried most other docks, and this is by far the best.

Now for my question. When I mouse over an icon on the dock, after a short delay the information tooltip pops up. After another delay (about 4 - 5 seconds), the tooltip turns to a blank white rectangle. Is this a problem with my OS, or with Nexus Dock?

I am running Vista x64 with Nexus Dock version 10.6. I have the Windows Taskbar always hidden. On XP 32-bit, This does not happen (the tooltip appears as it should the entire time I hover over the icon.

This in no way takes away from the awesomeness(?) of Nexus Dock. I'm just curious whether anyone else has observed the same behavior, and what might be done to correct it.

Thanks again for Nexus Dock.

Post subject: Re: Dock Icon Tooltips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no problem that I am aware of with the balloon tooltips on any systems (32 bit or 64 bit). Here I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, for instance.

Could you plese post a screenshot of the problematic balloon tooltips so I can understand the problem better?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:42 am 

Here is a before and after image.

Attachments:
File comment: Before/After
tooltip.jpg
tooltip.jpg [ 30.93 KiB | Viewed 11251 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, gotcha, thanks!

I bet you are running Logitech's buggy $%"#$"# Setpoint software in your system. I don't even have to ask you if I won, I know I did. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:30 am 

Yes, you won! I closed the Setpoint software, and it works fine now. However, according to a previous post, this has been fixed in Winstep:

"Marc, I believe this problem is related to the one in which Logitech Setpoint would blank Winstep docks, menus, etc... under 64 bit systems. If so, the problem has been solved on Winstep's side."

I guess it was not completely solved. In any case, I am now using XMouseButtonControl. It only gives me control of 5 buttons, but it does not interfere with Nexus Dock. If it is a contest between Setpoint, or Nexus Dock, Nexus Dock must win. Thank you for pointing out the problem. And thanks for all your hard work.

Edit:

I updated XMouseButtonControl to latest version. It now handles all 7 buttons.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Setpoint, for some unknown reasons only known to their dummy developers (sorry if I sound harsh, but I've had to work around issues caused by buggy Logitech software so many times that it's not even funny anymore) occasionaly sends WM_PAINT messages to windows, without even checking first to see if that windows has the layered window style bit set or not.

When this happens, the default Window procedure for that window enters into a painting loop, which turns the window completely white and unresponsive.

To solve this issue, I have to subclass each window that can be potentially affected by this. I didn't think the balloon tooltip was such a window, as it usually remains on screen only for a short while.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 am 

Thanks. It's no longer a problem. Setpoint had other annoyances that I am happy to be rid of. XMouseButtonControl is working beautifully for me. I would not have found it had you not pointed out the problem with Setpoint. Thanks again.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]