Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Bug / Problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 pm 

Hello there! Great product, I love the Nexus dock! I've run into a problem here though, and I'm hoping we might be able to submit this to a bug list. It's hard to describe, so I did take a video of the issue as well.

I use RDP very frequently. If I enable the dock to "Always be on top", it stays on top of my RDP sessions, preventing me from accessing the taskbar/start menu on the remote PC. To get around this, I set the dock to be "Same as other windows". However, this creates a new problem, where icons will pop up behind the windows for a second, and then pop in front of the active window.

Here's the video.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tycn/4876818089/

Watching now after being uploaded, I realize you can't read the "notepad" text I was typing. Basically what I was trying to say what when I have the dock set to "same as other windows", the icons on the dock pop-up/magnify behind the active window for a a fraction of a second, then go in front of the active window. This is fixed by setting the dock to "Always be on top", but in doing this, the dock now stays on top of my RDP session, preventing me from accessing the remote taskbar.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Bug / Problem
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:27 am 

namebrandon,
Maybe I'm missing the point, but it looks like what you want is 'Position/Behavior' ,'Behavior/Hide the dock after a short delay', 'Always above other windows'
Attachment:
Settings.jpg
Settings.jpg [ 106.44 KiB | Viewed 13732 times ]

Grouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:49 am 

Thanks for the response!

I actually do not want the dock to hide, in fact I prefer that it has it's own reserved space so that it's always visible. The problem is that when I load up an RDP session, it stays on top of the remote window. This behavior is unlike the windows start / taskbar. If the taskbar is set to always be on top / present, and an RDP session is opened, the remote window is still displayed full screen, on top of (covering) the local taskbar.

As I mentioned, I can get around this by selecting "Same as other windows", but doing this creates the next problem. That is that when I use the magnify behavior (similar to OS X) the icon is correctly magnified, but half of the icon goes behind the active window for ~ .5 seconds, then pops in front of the window.

I've included a screen capture of the dock icons magnifying behind the active window.This happens for about .5 seconds before the icon begins to display in front of the active window.

Does that make any more sense?

Attachments:
icon_behind_browser.jpg
icon_behind_browser.jpg [ 38.46 KiB | Viewed 13730 times ]
 Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:29 am 

If you have your dock set to "Same as other windows", there is another setting at Advanced/Miscellaneous:/Advanced. The slider controls how long before the dock pops up to the top. I actually have mine set to 1/2 second because my dock is at the top of the screen, and I don't want it grabbing focus when I am trying to activate a tab in my browser at full screen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I understand, NameBrandon.

The Windows taskbar has a feature in which it goes behind a full screen window (notice that a full screen window is not the same as a maximized window) even when set to Always on Top.

I guess I need to add that feature to Nexus.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm 

winstep wrote:
I think I understand, NameBrandon.

The Windows taskbar has a feature in which it goes behind a full screen window (notice that a full screen window is not the same as a maximized window) even when set to Always on Top.

I guess I need to add that feature to Nexus.

Exactly, I think you have worded it better. The dock using topmost = true is good, but it needs to respect full-screen mode (such as Remote Desktop).

It is much more simple the way you describe it. :)

Solving this problem, in effect, solves the second problem, as I can allow the dock to stay "Above all windows", and the icons will magnify correctly.

Thank you for your response, Jorge!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 pm 

H.Seldon wrote:
If you have your dock set to "Same as other windows", there is another setting at Advanced/Miscellaneous:/Advanced. The slider controls how long before the dock pops up to the top. I actually have mine set to 1/2 second because my dock is at the top of the screen, and I don't want it grabbing focus when I am trying to activate a tab in my browser at full screen.

Thank you H. Seldon, I will review this setting this evening when I get home. It may resolve the icon magnification issue until the Nexus dock is updated to respect full-screen "windows".

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:41 pm 

H.Seldon wrote:

This did resolve the icon popping up behind the active window for 1000ms problem. :) Thank you H. Seldon!

The full screen issue still exists, but for now, using "Same as other windows" and reserved space works for my needs. Thanks for the help everyone!

Brandon

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]