Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Give away of the day
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 am 

I have been using Nexus Ultimate since it was made freely available on the GiveAwayOfTheDay website and am still exploring the many options for customization. I'm really enjoying the eye candy effects but also find it simplifies access to frequently used programs and files too. I think I may be reaching the limits of its capabilities now but for me its a keeper, I love it.

My Nexus installation was installed and the licence successfully installed within the 24 hour deadline specified by GiveAwayOfTheDay but today Nexus popped up advising me to purchase a licence :( Windows forced several security updates onto my PC last night and I am wondering if these are the reason for my loss of licensing.

Could you offer any suggestions or possible solution to my predicament please? Or better still if you are in a real generous mood and can spare a freebie grant me a Winstep Extreme licence so I can explore the customizations further :)

Great software guys and thank you for your efforts, I'm spreading the word.

Regards

Maxx

Post subject: Re: Give away of the day
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maxx, that really shouldn't happen if Nexus Ultimate was successfuly registered. Are you sure it was a pop-up from Nexus? Even running as a trial it would show you zero pop-ups until the 25th day of your 30 day trial period.

In the About tab of Nexus Ultimate Preferences, does it say 'This program is registered to...' or does it say 'This program is shareware...'? If the latter, please send me an email to the Winstep support address with your serial number.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 am 

Hi Jorge

Wow thanks for the lightningly swift response.

The pop-up isn't truly a pop-up, I was referring to the Nexus alert screen that appears telling you the software needs registering. The message at the bottom of the about tab in preferences says the following:
"This software is registered to mark.aley@gmail.com
Licence key valid for all upgrades released until August 5, 2010"

Rather odd I should be seeing this for the first time today, but as I say I'm wondering if last nights windows updates have anything to do with it. Do you have any suggestions Jorge?

Regards

Maxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 am 

MaxxUFO wrote:
Hi Jorge

Wow thanks for the lightningly swift response.

The pop-up isn't truly a pop-up, I was referring to the Nexus alert screen that appears telling you the software needs registering. The message at the bottom of the about tab in preferences says the following:
"This software is registered to mark.aley@gmail.com
Licence key valid for all upgrades released until August 5, 2010"

Rather odd I should be seeing this for the first time today, but as I say I'm wondering if last nights windows updates have anything to do with it. Do you have any suggestions Jorge?

Regards

Maxx

If it helps I could send you a list of the Windows (Vista 64bit) updates that were applied but I would prefer to send you this by email if this will help.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am 

I also have the Giveawayoftheday version and I'm using Win7 x64 with the latest Windows Updates installed, and I do not see anything like that. :o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:11 am 

Number99 wrote:
I also have the Giveawayoftheday version and I'm using Win7 x64 with the latest Windows Updates installed, and I do not see anything like that. :o

I have Vista not wind 7 and all was fine until last nights Windows updates which is why I mentioned it. I don't normally have licencing issues with GiveAwayOfTheDay offsprings so I don't understand why Nexus Ultimate should be any different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 am 

Oh, I missed the Vista part. Perhaps that's it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you please post a screenshot of the Nexus alert screen here, please?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 am 

winstep wrote:
Can you please post a screenshot of the Nexus alert screen here, please?

I have just rebooted a couple of times to try to replicate the licence expiry notice that popped up, but it seems to have gone. I will post back if it reappears with a screenshot but so far Nexus Ultimate seems to be working great, even though the licence details in the preferences screen says it is valid until August 5 2010. Could the message be a nag screen programmed to appear periodically to encourage truly unlicensed users to purchase? As said, I promise to post a screenshot if and when this re-appears.

Many thanks Jorge, keep up the great work :)

Maxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MaxxUFO wrote:
Could the message be a nag screen programmed to appear periodically to encourage truly unlicensed users to purchase?

No. As tempting as it is, I would never resort to such a low trick. :P

There is a pop-up that appears for all paid Winstep products when your yearly subscription to new upgrades has expired (e.g.; your program is registered, but your license will no longer cover new upgrades released after that date) but:

a) That popup is a reminder (not a nag screen) and can be set to never appear again or only appear in 2 weeks.

b) I specifically disabled the code that makes that particular popup appear in the GOTD Nexus Ultimate version, as it made no sense for GOTD users (after all GOTD users are not entitled to any free upgrades, which is why it says 'license valid for all upgrades released until...' the day after the promotion).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:58 pm 

arh! that makes perfect sense to me. Forgive my reference to a "nag reminder" just using the common term and I appreciate your comment to such annoying tactics used by other less enlightened developers.

I shall be more than happy to pay for a full copy of the extreme version, once funds are available. Thank you for your exemplary communications Jorge.

All the best

Maxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My pleasure! :D

When you do, don't forget that upgrading to Xtreme from your GOTD copy of Ultimate gives you a nice discount.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:22 pm 

winstep wrote:

When you do, don't forget that upgrading to Xtreme from your GOTD copy of Ultimate gives you a nice discount.

And that's exactly what I will use! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 am 

winstep wrote:

wow nice discount indeed. I cant really afford it right now but you caught me in an impulsive mood so what the hell. I just placed my order for Xtreme and am awaiting confirmation from BMT Micro that it has gone through :)

UPDATE (Sat 2pm UK time): Order processed successfully by BMT and awaiting product key info from the developer. I take it that would be your good self Jorge :D

FINAL EDIT (Sat 3.30pm UK time) : Confirmation received, licence key acquired via email and installed seemlessly. Looking very nice so far :) I'm now on the hunt for some nice dual monitor stretched desktop images to go with the supplied themes.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]