Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Icons moving on dock ...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 am 

Hi

My setup is a shelf at the bottom of my screen, and a single dock docked on the left. Properties are same as other windows, linked to shelf, no autohide options checked. By default I have icons locked. On the shelf, icons are truly locked. However, on the dock: I can't drag/move icons on the dock itself (which is what I want) BUT I can still drag something onto the dock off the desktop (which I don't want). I often end up dropping something onto the dock that is meant for the Recycle module and it's kind of annoying that whenever I hover in the general vicinity of the dock with a desktop icon in tow everything on the dock starts moving to make room for the "drop". Can I turn this behaviour off?

Secondly, when I accidentally double click on an icon (old habits die hard) the dock "hides". This is not a big deal at all, as I can restore it with a bump - was just wondering if it is meant to do that?

Cheers
Robin
(THE mother-in-law)

Post subject: Re: Icons moving on dock ...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:38 am 

Open the Dock Properties, under the Effects tab there is a check ox that says:
"Shift icons to make room for new entry when dropping items into a dock"

try un-checking that :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, that would help, but in truth Robin might have a point in that drag & drop should perhaps also be disabled when you 'lock icons'.

Opinions from other users, please?

As for the double click, it's only supposed to do that when you double click the Nexus control icon, but there was a bug (which I already fixed in the next release) which could cause double clicks on other icons to also collapse/hide the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:04 am 

DanDaBear wrote:
Open the Dock Properties, under the Effects tab there is a check ox that says:
"Shift icons to make room for new entry when dropping items into a dock"
try un-checking that :)

DOH!! Thank you! I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere, BUT:

I always forget to look in Effects - didn't even go there, as to my tiny mind shifting icons is Behaviour not an Effect. Jorge? What do you think? Maybe that option should be in Behaviour, and unless I am missing it somewhere (probably) Lock isn't included in the Dock prefs? Should it be? I prefer to use Right Click to lock/unlock rather than go to Prefs, but for consistency perhaps both sets of Prefs should include the option. And, for the same reason, maybe Right Click on the shelf should include Unlock/Lock too. You get used to these quirks, but reading the forums not everyone uses a Shelf and not everyone uses a Dock, so having something regularly used like Lock/Unlock on both Right Click menus makes sense to me. (I do have Show all Right Click options on menu" checked.)

Forgive me if I am dribbling. :)

Hoods

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]