Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: A couple of problems with Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm 

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say that for me this is the best dock application I've used so far. It's got so many customizing options which is so cool. I've got 10.6 version installed.

A couple of questions:

1. When I double click an icon in the dock, it just goes down? I have no idea how to get it back? Then I have to kill the process and start it again. This is so annoying.

2. Z Order is set to Normal. When I have it like this and when I move the mouse at the bottom edge of the screen the dock shows up over my running apps. And when I have Z Order set to Always at bottom, then the dock is always at the bottom and will not show up when I move mouse to the edge of the screen but then when I press Show Desktop button, then the dock disappears? So I want to have it always under all apps but I don't it to remove when I click Show Desktop.

That's about it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: A couple of problems with Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

turbo_stream wrote:
1. When I double click an icon in the dock, it just goes down? I have no idea how to get it back? Then I have to kill the process and start it again. This is so annoying.
~

The dock is simply auto-hidding. There was a bug which caused the dock to auto-hide when double clicking any icon, instead of just the control icon. Fixed in the next release.

turbo_stream wrote:
2. Z Order is set to Normal. When I have it like this and when I move the mouse at the bottom edge of the screen the dock shows up over my running apps. And when I have Z Order set to Always at bottom, then the dock is always at the bottom and will not show up when I move mouse to the edge of the screen but then when I press Show Desktop button, then the dock disappears? So I want to have it always under all apps but I don't it to remove when I click Show Desktop.

Docks at the bottom of the z-order should not appear when you click on 'Show Desktop'. Anyway, these are two separate problems which have also been handled in the next release: you now have a setting to disable edge bumps from activating/bringing the dock forward (unless the dock is hidden, of course) and another setting controling whether the dock statys visible when pressing Show Desktop or not, regardless of Z-Order.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:53 am 

Cool. Sounds awesome. Great work on this software.

Here is how mine looks now. Mac inspired :)

Btw, any idea when the next release is coming?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Winstep users (i.e.; who paid for any of the Winstep products) are already trying beta 2 in the Beta Discussion Forums, so it should be 'real soon now'. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:56 pm 

winstep wrote:
turbo_stream wrote:
~

The dock is simply auto-hidding. There was a bug which caused the dock to auto-hide when double clicking any icon, instead of just the control icon. Fixed in the next release.

turbo_stream wrote:

Docks at the bottom of the z-order should not appear when you click on 'Show Desktop'. Anyway, these are two separate problems which have also been handled in the next release: you now have a setting to disable edge bumps from activating/bringing the dock forward (unless the dock is hidden, of course) and another setting controling whether the dock statys visible when pressing Show Desktop or not, regardless of Z-Order.

Hello :)

Is this new setting controling whether the dock stays visible when pressing Show Desktop or not, regardless of Z-Order in 10.8 Beta 2? Because I am using that now and do not see an option for that.

But I am so glad this is being added :)

Nexus Dock rules!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Was added after beta 2. :D

New, and also not in beta 2, are settings to specify the size of the running program's window preview thumbnails, disable aeropeek in the thumbnails, apply a theme's wallpaper automatically in Nexus and Nexus Ultimate if the theme has one, and more!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm 

winstep wrote:
Was added after beta 2. :D

New, and also not in beta 2, are settings to specify the size of the running program's window preview thumbnails, disable aeropeek in the thumbnails, apply a theme's wallpaper automatically in Nexus and Nexus Ultimate if the theme has one, and more!

Great News! :)

One last thing is there anyway you can make it so these info boxes do not show over windows at all?

Here is an example of what I mean. As you can see in this screeshot I have a window right under the dock and when I hold the cursor over any item on the dock these info boxes popup over the window. "The cursor is missing from the screenshot"

I would love it if you can make it so nothing at all from the dock can show up over windows including any text or boxes from items on the dock.

Hope this can be done :)

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!!! :)

Attachments:
61984.jpeg
61984.jpeg [ 87.58 KiB | Viewed 18354 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Removing the always on top attribute of the balloon tooltip - which is there by design - would cause more trouble than it would solve - especially considering the balloon tooltip is temporary and disappears as soon as you mouse away from the dock. What would be the point of having it appear if it popped up behind other windows, after all?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:50 pm 

winstep wrote:
Removing the always on top attribute of the balloon tooltip - which is there by design - would cause more trouble than it would solve - especially considering the balloon tooltip is temporary and disappears as soon as you mouse away from the dock. What would be the point of having it appear if it popped up behind other windows, after all?

True you do have a point there :).

But how about instead if you had an option to not have the "tooltip box" show up at all. I mean option to disable it. And instead only have the "text" display when cursor is over an item on the dock? The "text" does not seem to show up over windows like the "Box" does.

What do you think of this idea and would this cause you trouble?

Last edited by gate1975mlm on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That option is already there: Misc.Advanced dialog of the Advanced tab in Preferences, 'Disable balloon tooltips'.

Note, however, that there is a bug in beta 2 (already fixed for the next beta/release) in which disabling the balloon tooltips also disables the mouseover window previews of running applications.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:02 pm 

winstep wrote:
That option is already there: Misc.Advanced dialog of the Advanced tab in Preferences, 'Disable balloon tooltips'.

Note, however, that there is a bug in beta 2 (already fixed for the next beta/release) in which disabling the balloon tooltips also disables the mouseover window previews of running applications.

Great!!! :)

Well this solved my issue!

Not sure how I missed that lol :)

Thanks again!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]