Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Odd dark shadow when zooming dock - Bug?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:25 am 

Hi

I have had this issue with final and beta releases but didn't really notice until I use dark backgrounds for my desktop.

Basically, when zooming a dock, a lighter background appears behind it. It is most evident when zooming docks on dark backgrounds but less obvious on backgrounds with lots of colour.

Please look closely at the attachments, you can just make out the lighter patch around the zooomed dock in the NOT_OK.png
Attachment:
OK.png
OK.png [ 101.55 KiB | Viewed 21719 times ]
Attachment:
NOT_OK.png
NOT_OK.png [ 215.4 KiB | Viewed 21719 times ]

This does not happen in any other dock app (rocketdock objectdock xwd etc).

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Odd dark shadow when zooming dock - Bug?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sincerely, I can't see anything in your screenshot, but I do know what you are talking about: that would be the nearly 100% transparent 'catch all' area. Without it, mouse movements in the transparent areas between icons would not be detected by the app and would 'pass through' to the background below.

Aren't we being a bit picky today? :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:47 am 

Hmm, nearly 100% transparent, that's the best way of putting it.
I don't think I am being picky about this issue, it is a very ugly issue that it quite noticable when the dock is zooming in/out. No other dock app has this problem which is why I questioned it.

So, there is absolutely no way of removing this transparent ghost image when zooming?

As for the screenshots, you can see in the second pic a faint transparent border/background. Appreciate that it is hardly noticeable but without providing a video I can't really highlight it enough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to make sure I'm not blind as a bat, I just asked my gf sitting behind me if she could see any faint transparent 'ghost image' in the second picture. She can't, and I suspect most people won't be able to either.

I know what you are talking about because that effect (which I called the 'halo effect') was a lot more noticeable on older versions until I changed the nearly transparent color from black to white. After that change, I have never again noticed the halo effect.

I think that is an extremelly minor cosmetical issue, which you happened to notice once and now you can't help but NOT notice. I mean, the effect is so faint you can't even capture it properly in that screenshot.

Now I ask you: given that removing that hardly noticeable effect for good would mean having to make deep changes to complex code that is currently working fine, would delay v10.8 by a week or more, and would almost certainly introduce a lot of other bugs which weren't there before, what would your choice be?

You know I'm usually extremelly receptive to fixing bugs and adding new features, but there is a risk to every bug you fix, in that the fix might introduce one or more bugs itself, and these possibly a lot more serious than the one you just fixed. There is a reason why software companies mark some real bugs as 'won't fix' - and let me stress that I really don't think of this issue as a bug.

I happen to know the potential for disaster that fixing this really minor issue (for most people, anyway) would have.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:01 pm 

I think it would be better if I sent you a video of the prob, the file is too large to attach to this post... PM sent. thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's best if you upload the video to one of the free storage providers (megaupload?) and then link to it here.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 pm 

OK, please take a look here -
http://db.tt/73tySlC

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the video - I still can hardly see the halo, and I have WMP set to auto-repeat.

I would like to have the opinion of others on this, please (so anyone reading this, please feel free to butt in :wink: ).

Also, you didn't answer my question about what your choice would be. :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm 

mikeyo, I have had a look at your screen shots and downloaded the video, and honestly after several viewings I cannot see anything untoward, Even though Jorge has pointed out there could be a faint halo, and I am therefore looking specifically for that, I still cannot see it.

Best Regards

gjbth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:26 pm 

I will try to find a background where the halo effect is most obvious..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can see the very faint halo (after trying hard), but only because it's a very dark background and *I know* exactly what I am looking for. And that's my point - you won't notice it unless you are specifically looking for it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 pm 

OK,

I think this one is a little clearer. You can see to the left most dock icon about half way through the video a transparent lighter background appear when zooming. I hope this time you can see it. :shock:

http://db.tt/c1T8x4X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:50 pm 

winstep wrote:
I can see the very faint halo (after trying hard), but only because it's a very dark background and *I know* exactly what I am looking for. And that's my point - you won't notice it unless you are specifically looking for it.

I notice it more coz I am using 1920x1200 res on a Dell U2410 monitor and it shows it quite clearly. Sorry for being a royal pain in the a** but I dont have this issue with other dock apps and I do like my dark backgrounds ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:58 pm 

mikeyo, just downloaded the new video, I now can see the faint halo when an Icon is zoomed, However without really trying and wanting, to see this effect, I would never have noticed it in a million years. I honestly do not consider this a bug or an issue that would ever bother me. I have to agree with Jorge with every one of his comments here.

I am using a Quad Dell High res monitor set up and all my backgrounds are dark and again, I have no issue with this at all. If it really bothers you that much maybe you could adjust the contrast/brightness settings so you no longer notice this.

Best Regards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I notice it more coz I am using 1920x1200 res on a Dell U2410 monitor and it shows it quite clearly. Sorry for being a royal pain in the a** but I dont have this issue with other dock apps and I do like my dark backgrounds

I think your monitor's brightness might be set too high. :wink:

Anyway, this will also me marked as a 'won't fix' unless I can find a way to alleviate the issue without having to change critical and tested code. The fact that other docks don't do this is meaningless: for most docks, each icon is actually a small window, independent of the background, which is also another window. Not so in the Nexus dock. In other words: they have their methods, I have mine. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next