Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Hotspot problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:07 pm 

I am really frustrated. I never had a problem with hotspots prior to new UI.

I previously made a hotspot which resides on the desktop. It is a folder with menu items (docs). I open it with a L-click.

Today, I tried adding .exe files to the folder. No luck.
Then I decided to create a new Menu hotspot containing .exe files. Within the Menu Editor, I dragged .exe files from a Shelf (WinShelf) to the "New Item". I ended up successfully creating the new Hotspot. I instructed the Hotspot to appear at a specific location on the desktop (like my other hotspot).
It did not show up (it was not behind the other hotspot).

After 2 hours of futzing around, I discovered that the newly-created hotspot took the place of the Start Menu hotspot. I cannot get it to appear on the desktop. Furthermore, I cannot get my Start Menu back. This is bad news.

What should I do now. I find the new UI Hotspot "creator" to be very confusing.

Post subject: Re: Hotspot problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi John!

I think you are confusing menus with hotspots.

Hotspots are activation methods defined in the Hotspots tab in NextSTART Preferences. These activation methods (hotspots) can be associated to menus, programs, internal commands, etc...

My first question is: if you had an hotspot associated to a folder in your hard drive, why were you unable to add more items to that folder?

Second, if you created a new menu, then all you have to do now is associated a new hotspot to that menu. To do this you click on the New button in the Hotspots tab, change 'what do you want to do?' to 'Display a menu built with the Menu Editor', specify how you want to activate the hotspot in the combo box below, press Next, select the name of the Menu you previously created, and then specify (or leave as default) whatever else is required for the type of activation and hotspot you selected.

The hotspot associated to the Start Menu button is usually hotspot 0. Make sure hotspot 0 is set to 'Launch a menu built with the Menu Editor' and that the name of the menu is 'NextSTART'. Also, open the Taskbar tab in NextSTART Preferences -> Start Button Settings, and make sure the hotspot associated to the Start Menu button is hotspot 0.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:28 am 

Quote:
I think you are confusing menus with hotspots.

No, that is not the case.

Quote:
My first question is: if you had an hotspot associated to a folder in your hard drive, why were you unable to add more items to that folder?

I had 2 folders (Items)associated with the Hotspot. I then tried to add .exe files to that same Hotspot. I was not successful. Maybe the program does not allow that? That is why I decided to create a new hotspot for the .exe files. Obviously, that new hotspot got entered as hotspot 00.

Having said that, I was finally able to put everything right!
I actually figured it all out prior to receiving your reply.
Why I could not add the .exe files to the original hotspot remains a question. In any case, thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Didn't quite understand what happened there, but all is well when it ends well. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]