Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 7 superbar with Nexus 10.9?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 pm 

Hi, congratulations on another great and professional Nexus version :)! I was waiting for this for a long time, especially to bring several systems constricted to Windows XP closer to Windows 7 regarding taskbar functionality.

Sadly after testing 10.9, I either overlooked some important options or you overlooked some basic features of the 7 Superbar ;). First, Aero Preview works flawlessly and also the option to not launch multiple sessions is great!

Still I can't find a way to have running apps in the dock being shown only there, with others not in the dock being shown too, without having these apps appear multiple times. I would recommend replacing the duplicate "Show running applications in this dock" option in the tasks section by something like "Only show running applications not docked in the taskbar section". It's also not possible to start another session from the dock with multiple sessions disabled. I would recommend a menu option when right clicking for this, like "Open new session".

Speaking of the menu, it's furthermore not possible to get the usual right click menu for running apps when right clicking on those running from the dock section. Also the Windows 7 typical running apps indicators highlighting the whole icon are not included, although I think you mentioned that this is already possible in WinStep right now.

Last not least to simulate the Superbar a bit more, it would be great to be able to anchor the systray to the other edge of the screen across from the dock to move the clock and other modules like show deskop there. Also it would be curteous to revert the Windows taskbar to be visible on exiting Nexus if that has been set otherwise ;).

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 superbar with Nexus 10.9?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

wesp5 wrote:
Still I can't find a way to have running apps in the dock being shown only there, with others not in the dock being shown too, without having these apps appear multiple times.

Yes, unfortunately, due to time constraints, that feature had to be pushed back to next release. :(

wesp5 wrote:
It's also not possible to start another session from the dock with multiple sessions disabled.

Press SHIFT while left clicking the icon - that's how the Windows 7 taskbar does it too.

wesp5 wrote:
Also the Windows 7 typical running apps indicators highlighting the whole icon are not included, although I think you mentioned that this is already possible in WinStep right now.

You know, even though Nexus mimics some of Windows 7's superbar functions, it is not the Windows 7 (or any other Windows version) taskbar, nor is it meant to be. It's much more than that.

Try some of the new nine icon mouseover effects, you'll probably find one that you'll like as much, if not more, as the Windows 7 taskbar hightlight effect.

wesp5 wrote:
Also it would be curteous to revert the Windows taskbar to be visible on exiting Nexus if that has been set otherwise ;).

It doesn't?!! Now that would be a bug - I have to look into it and I'll get back to you.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

wesp5 wrote:
Also it would be curteous to revert the Windows taskbar to be visible on exiting Nexus if that has been set otherwise ;).

Ok, figured out what the problem was and fixed it. The problem wasn't that the taskbar remained hidden, but rather set to 'auto-hide', even if it wasn't previously.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:16 pm 

winstep wrote:
Yes, unfortunately, due to time constraints, that feature had to be pushed back to next release. :(

Ah, so you aware of this and working on it, great :)!

Quote:
Press SHIFT while left clicking the icon - that's how the Windows 7 taskbar does it too.

This is not intuitive. I don't know about 7, but my current Superbar emulator SBar has a "Open new" menu point.

Quote:
Try some of the new nine icon mouseover effects, you'll probably find one that you'll like as much, if not more, as the Windows 7 taskbar hightlight effect.

You missunderstood me. The mouse over effects of Nexus are already cooler than the 7 ones :), what I meant was the marker that shows that an apps in the dock is running. Those littler orbs and triangles and stuff. I would like to see a frame around the whole icon like in 7 for this ;)!

Quote:
It doesn't?!! Now that would be a bug - I have to look into it and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for having found this already and fixing it in the next version :)!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]