Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: SUB-DOCKS CREATION
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:38 pm 

Hi,

I don't know if it's been already discussed here but I'd like to raise that question again. The thing is, I'm trying to create a sub-dock using all the available info in the manual. However, I can't seem to achieve the desired result as it doesn't work the way I expect it to :( Here's what I do:

1) Right-click on a dock
2) Choose insert a new element - Sub-dock (this is what I get):

3) Try to add shortcuts of the programs I intend to run inside the sub-dock...

And this is where I fail because no matter what I do (dragging programs' shortcuts onto the newly-created sub-dock, right-clicking on the sub-dock's icon & trying to insert stuff, etc.) I can't insert anything inside that miserable sub-dock!

Long story short, could you provide a simple and straightforward tutorial on how to accomplish that?

Thanks!

P.S. The question is about Nexus Ultimate v10.7.

Post subject: Re: SUB-DOCKS CREATION
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm 

It works for me. I had my background totally invisible so I couldn't see anything at first. I made it opaque and I could see the open sub-dock.

chupacabras, is your background Invisible? If so, move the mouse about an inch above the main dock and right click. You should get a menu to 'Insert New Dock Item'. Otherwise, I'm all out of options! (Although I am using WinStep Xtreme beta 3)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 pm 

@DanDaBear

Aha, now I see :) So, the important thhing is not to make the background transparent, ha? And then just simply drag and drop items you want onto an empty slot that becomes visible once you have disabled transparency. As simple as that..

Thank you so much for all your help!

Oh, one more thing: why is there so much free space between the main dock and sub-dock? Can it be fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:23 am 

Glad to be of service.

For the spacing problem, try a different background. Different themes have different sizes and differnt spacing. I was having the same problem and changed to a narrower background (5imple) and now the sub-dock is closer to the main dock.

I have my background invisible and the dock is sitting on my NexStart taskbar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:16 am 

@DanDaBear

It worked, thanks!

Mind if I ask you one more question? It's about changing horizontal orientation to vertical - every time I do that my dock's icons become much smaler and the dock itself gets way too thinner and stretched (can be compared to stretching a rubber band after you pull it on both ends). And there's again this spacing problem but this time in a much more wicked sense of the word :)As in the case with sub-docks there's still some space but this time it's between the top of the screen and the dock. And when I try to move the dock upward a little to compensate for that it won't stay where I want it to. Instead it slips back down to where it was when I changed the orientation :(

Can it be helped?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The icons on the docks will shrink automatically to make all the icons fit in the screen space available, which obviously makes the dock thinner as well.

Nexus Ultimate v10.9 (just released today, about to be announced) solves this problem in several ways: first you can set vertical docks not to show icon reflections, second you will now be able to optional open sub-docks parallel to the parent dock instead of perpendicular.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:37 pm 

@winstep

Thanks for the answer! BTW, can the same principle be partially applied to 10.7? I mean, would it be possible to fight 'shrinking symptoms' by adjusting icon reflections?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, as adjustments to icon reflection size will affect sub-docks but also the parent dock.

Time to upgrade, perhaps? :wink:

You should be getting a new version notification (v10.9) from the Winstep Update Manager within the next 24 hours. It will also allow you to upgrade to the paid version (I assume you are running the GOTD 10.7 version of Nexus Ultimate), with one full year of free upgrades, for only $12.95. You can also upgrade to the full Winstep Xtreme suite (recommended!) for only $14.95 - there's a button for the latter in the About tab of Nexus Ultimate Preferences.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 pm 

@winstep

That's very good news :) I guess I'm gonna have to shell out as your product is definitely the best one on the market :)

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, sir, it currently is. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]