Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: icons are blank pages
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am 

I just reinstalled win 7 x64 and after reinstalling winstep extreme 10.9 most of my icons in the nexstart menu unnder programs are blank pages. Windows menu is fine and i refreshed my icon db file but no good. Is there a quick way to fix this without having to go to each program and right click to reassign icons in the properties page. By the way this happened when i installed 10.4 and i did fix them manually--but that is alot of work. It only happens on the initial install-once the icons are fixed upgrades don't mess them up.

Post subject: Re: icons are blank pages
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sigh. That is a bug with Stardock's IconPackager. You can find a fix here.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 am 

Jorge,

Last night for some reason my browser would not let me search the forums so i could not find the fix. You were right and all is fixed--also a search now finds the fix as well. But here is the most embarrassing thing--you told me that fix about 5-6 months ago. Sorry about forgetting--but that shows how problem free winstep extreme is. Now i'll just get back to playing with the new mouseovers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No worries.

It's a bit upsetting how problems caused by 3rd party applications are so many times mistakenly attributed to Winstep. That IconPackager bug is only one of them. The Windows Start Menu in Windows 7, which cannot be moved from the original screen position or it starts acting up is another.

And then you have the more insidious stuff. Logitech software, as long timers here know, is my favorite:

Setpoint, for instance, hooks into every application's process space (why the hell does a mouse and keyboard driver need to do that?!) and then proceeds to create problems with some of them (for instance, the windows turning blank problem, which I had to work around). Just the other day, on a XP system I had here, Winstep Xtreme was running slow as molasses. Uninstalling Setpoint immediately cleared the issue up.

Then we had the infamously buggy CamCPL Logitech Control Panel applet, which corrupted the stack of anything that tried enumerating the items in Control Panel, causing an immediate crash when you clicked on the Control Panel tab in the Shelf or opened the Control Panel menu in NextSTART. Figuring out the culprit was a nightmare, and was only possible when the common denominator between all those people having problems was found: they all had Logitech web cams. Again, I had to come up with a work around for 3rd party buggy software, and this time I was forced to actually buy a Logitech web cam to be able to reproduce the problem here and fix it.

Well, at least their hardware ain't that bad - but there ought to be a law prohibiting their programmers from ever touching a computer again.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:50 pm 

Jorge,

That is the difference of one person designing a program and staying integrally involved with it for the life cycle and a larger company rushing out new products and updates just to meet a deadline. For the amount of change i see on my screen caused by winstep--it is amazingly stable and problem free. Your work is greatly respected and appreciated.

Thanks again,
Fred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Fred. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:21 pm 

goretex wrote:
Jorge,

That is the difference of one person designing a program and staying integrally involved with it for the life cycle and a larger company rushing out new products and updates just to meet a deadline. For the amount of change i see on my screen caused by winstep--it is amazingly stable and problem free. Your work is greatly respected and appreciated.

Thanks again,
Fred

Well said. I second that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Windy. :oops: :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]