Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Warning: software protection mechanism triggered
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:09 pm 

Hello, I registered to report the issue i am having with the software. Yesterday I installed nexus (free version 10.09.0920). After changing the settings to get it just the way I wanted it, I left it alone while I was doing some other things. I got the following popup:

which I take to mean that nexus is watching itself to make sure there is no tampering. That is fine, but I was just browsing the web with firefox. I don't know why I got the message so I just reopened nexus, and it was fine. Today, when I sat down at my pc, I have this message again. I'm not tampering with nexus. Anyone know why this is happening?

For info, I'm using windows 7 professional 32-bit, and I have Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.

thanks
-zx

Post subject: Re: Warning: software protection mechanism triggered
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

zx3junglist wrote:
Hello, I registered to report the issue i am having with the software. Yesterday I installed nexus (free version 10.09.0920). After changing the settings to get it just the way I wanted it, I left it alone while I was doing some other things. I got the following popup:

which I take to mean that nexus is watching itself to make sure there is no tampering. That is fine, but I was just browsing the web with firefox. I don't know why I got the message so I just reopened nexus, and it was fine. Today, when I sat down at my pc, I have this message again. I'm not tampering with nexus. Anyone know why this is happening?

For info, I'm using windows 7 professional 32-bit, and I have Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.

thanks
-zx

To me it sounds like Symantec Endpoint Protection is interfering with Winstep so Winstep can't validate the authenticity of the license and the integrity of the files which leads to the warning. If it is possible, can you temporarily disable Symantec?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 pm 

Unfortunately I can't, my IT department control the distribution of it, and I don't have the rights to disable. It's happened several more times since I made the first post. Maybe someone could tell me what file(s) that it's watching, maybe I could catch it in the act? Maybe it's a config file or something.

This is unfortunate, not a great start to evaluating the program. It's perfect for me if not for this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

zx3junglist wrote:
Unfortunately I can't, my IT department control the distribution of it, and I don't have the rights to disable. It's happened several more times since I made the first post. Maybe someone could tell me what file(s) that it's watching, maybe I could catch it in the act? Maybe it's a config file or something.

This is unfortunate, not a great start to evaluating the program. It's perfect for me if not for this.

I'll have to let the developer of the program answer this one ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:17 pm 

I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation, but I've noticed that it happens more often than not when I am unlocking the desktop from being locked. This could be a red herring though, because it could easily be happening while the desktop is locked, but obviously I don't see it until I unlock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm currently in Holland (which is why I haven't replied much here), but next week, when I get back, I'll be issuing a maintenance release. One of the new features will be codes in the red dialog box which will help us track the actual cause of the problem.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:55 pm 

perfect, I'll help if I can. Protection is great except if we get false positives.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, they are not false positives, but rather the result of a 3rd party application (such as a virus or some smart-ass AV suite) interfering with Winstep applications.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:23 pm 

I agree that something may be interfering, but that's not how it appears to me. I haven't done anything to your program, but it keeps telling me that I'm tampering with it, and it shuts down. The program is great, but because of this, user experience is poor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Obviously, but all I am saying is that, AFAIK, it's not a bug with the protection routines themselves.

For isntance, if a 3rd party add on causes Window Explorer to crash, whose fault is it? Explorer's or the 3rd party? Obviously the buggy 3rd party addon which doesn't play by the rules - but then, what users see is Explorer crashing, so guess who gets the bad rep? :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:56 pm 

Ok, fair enough. When your new release is ready, I can load it up and see what's happening. I can't imagine I'm the only one seeing this. Also, this computer is brand new, nexus was installed on day 2 of having it. Symantec was the first program on, so I don't think a virus is the cause.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, you are not alone. Chrile's girlfriend is also seeing the same problem on her PC (although Chrile himself is not on his PC, Winstep Xtreme versions being the same and all) so I've asked him to post his girlfriend's PC specs (together with relevant software her PC is running) in this thread.

If you post yours too, perhaps we can find a common cause.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 pm 

And here I am, Chrille, that is.

My girlfriend runs a computer with Windows Vista. Her security software is Eset Smart Security (the current version) and Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Her copy of Winstep Xtreme was working just fine until seh did the automatic update to version 10.9. That was when her license stopped working.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 am 

Y'know, I received the little red pop-up, too. It was awhile ago when updating
from 10.4 beta to 10.6 I think.
It was also the first time there was no update package I think, only the full
download from cnet.

It was a one-off occur and didn't seem to hurt anything. No repeat going from
10.6 to 10.9.
It was a shock though as I thought something had infected NextSTART or something.
Maybe some part of Xtreme hadn't fully unloaded during the installation or a
file lock issue or... (have no idea).

Windows XP Pro SP3
VIPRE Antivirus Premium

http://www.digisensei.info/win3/ -- Win3.x Makeover

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:00 pm 

It's been a while, so I've uninstalled so that I can try another solution. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next