Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Export Settings After System Recovery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:35 pm 

I had to do a System Recovery and saved everything on a external hard drive and would like to know where to find, and where and what to copy and paste to get everything the way it was without having to manually do it all over again. I hope it's possible.

Post subject: Re: Export Settings After System Recovery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 am 

If you are using Windows 7, your backup files will be in the following directory: Documents/Winstep/Backup
You should have at least 1 file in there with a .wbk extension.
All you should have to do is go to the Workshelf preferences\advanced tab and then hit the restore button and point to your backup file.

All of the above assumes that you saved your preferences at least once, right off hand I don't know if Winstep does an automated backup.

I hope you get everything restored.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:55 am 

Thanks. I'm using XP. It's in the same location, but it's a .nbk file. I was hoping there would be another location that I could manually copy and paste the info like some other programs that have all of the info there even though you don't back it up; but couldn't figure out where and didn't want to guess and possibly corrupt the program.

I know Jorge has repeatedly stated to backup the settings, but for some strange reason I thought I had backed it up when I configured it months ago but didn't. I just finished doing it all over again manually. Let this be a lesson to the wise! I made sure I backed it up this time! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Thanks. I'm using XP. It's in the same location, but it's a .nbk file. I was hoping there would be another location that I could manually copy and paste the info like some other programs that have all of the info there even though you don't back it up; but couldn't figure out where and didn't want to guess and possibly corrupt the program.

I know Jorge has repeatedly stated to backup the settings, but for some strange reason I thought I had backed it up when I configured it months ago but didn't. I just finished doing it all over again manually. Let this be a lesson to the wise! I made sure I backed it up this time! :lol:

IIRC Jorge said that most settings are stored in the registry. So I don't know what system recovery exactly does but if I'm right it rolled back the registry as well.
Part of the Winstep files are in Documents and Users/Public/Public documents/Winstep/ (names might be different, I'm on Windows 7 here and it is Users/Public/Public Documents/ here, XP might be slightly different) but last time I checked I didn't see any settings files there aside from backups.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winstep applications do not do automatic backups, and settings are indeed stored in the Windows Registry.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]