Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Thinking of buying, have questions about license
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:14 pm 

Hi There,

I've been using Nexus dock on my home desktop and laptop for a while now and I'm sold. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to purchase it. There are only two things holding me back. One is whether or not Winstep Xtreme 10.9 would be a better purchase (currently downloading trial), and two is the license conditions on the Winstep products. I've tried searching these forums, and the product pages themselves but I can't find the license conditions.

Thus I have two questions about the license. If I purchase the single user license key can I install the product on both my laptop and my desktop system?
This thread seems to suggest that I can: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3627&p=11798&hilit=license+condition#p11798, but as you have a network license agreement for multiple machines I wanted to clarify.

Two, it is highly likely that I will be replacing my Desktop machine sometime over the next 12 months. When I do so, can I unstall your product from my old machine and install it on my new system without having to purchase another license? This thread suggests that I can, but again I wanted to clarify: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3594&p=11695&hilit=license+condition#p11695

Warm Regards,

Raven

Post subject: Re: Thinking of buying, have questions about license
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi! :D

Sincerely, I would go for Winstep Xtreme, as it includes all Winstep applications. Much more bang for the buck - and since it's modular, you can disable anything you don't want to use.

Raventiger wrote:
If I purchase the single user license key can I install the product on both my laptop and my desktop system?

Yes.

Raventiger wrote:
Two, it is highly likely that I will be replacing my Desktop machine sometime over the next 12 months. When I do so, can I unstall your product from my old machine and install it on my new system without having to purchase another license?

Yes, Winstep applications are not tied to the hardware. But you should read Winstep's upgrade policy for Winstep Xtreme and Nexus Ultimate first.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:19 am 

Thank you very much for your prompt responce. I'd read the upgrade policy before and it's very fair :). Currently I'm giving myself a week or so with Winstep Extreme before I make my final decision, althrough right now I'm tending towards getting the product.

Regards,

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:59 am 

I hope Raven decided to purchase Winstep Extreme. I bought it several months back and I have been thrilled with the program ever since. You will not find a better program anywhere, this blows away the competition, plain and simple. If you want full control over the customization of your desktop, this is it. The settings are so numerous, they are almost endless. You will have a great time fiddling around with everything. The author (Jorge) has taken great care to make this the best program in its class. It isn't often I speak out about software that I purchase, but I would recommend this to anyone, without hesitation.
Also, should you have any issues or questions, Jorge or almost anyone here will be more than happy to help.

Raven, or anyone else that is thinking about buying Winstep Extreme...
Buy it, you will love it! I promise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 pm 

Hi Pink,

Yes I did end up buying Winstep Extreme, and I'm loving it. Just curious but how often is the program updated?

Regards,

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Raventiger wrote:
Hi Pink,

Yes I did end up buying Winstep Extreme, and I'm loving it. Just curious but how often is the program updated?

Regards,

Raven

Generally there are bugfixes reasonably regularly released, but I think you're asking about content updates, which generally isn't regularly but usually undergoes a beta phase first (and generally are semi-major updates, for example 10.1 -> 10.2). It also depends on bugs encountered. But on balance of the scales, I've been in the past year in the transition of a 9.x release (where we were still with the old UI) to 10.0 (with the current UI) and several beta's until the current version, 10.9 ;) It depends on Jorge though... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In C:\Program Files\Winstep\ (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\ if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows) you will find the history files (history-ns.txt for NextSTART, history-ws.txt for WorkShelf, history-ultimate.txt for Nexus Ultimate, etc...).

These files list all changes between versions and also the date of each release, this way users can see for themselves how often Winstep applications are updated and how much work goes into each update.

I would say updates are usually 3-5 months apart, and, as Kutagh said, normally with private betas in between which you can get access to by registering your Winstep software and thus being granted access to the Beta Discussion section of this forum. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]