Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: WS Xtreme & reboot problem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:41 pm 

When my computer reboots, both WinStart & WinShelf are not visible. I then need to restart WS Wtreme. Any clues as to how to remedy this?

Also, is there a way to limit the number of recent docs which show up under RECENT DOCS?

Thanks & happy holidays to all!

Post subject: Re: WS Xtreme & reboot problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First part is something for Jorge.
The second part, recent documents:
Preferences - Dock/Shelf properties - Behavior - Advanced and there you can modify it. Might be in a similar place for NextStart as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:03 pm 

Quote:
The second part, recent documents:
Preferences - Dock/Shelf properties - Behavior - Advanced and there you can modify it. Might be in a similar place for NextStart as well.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you exit Winstep Xtreme manually (either from NextSTART or from WorkShelf), the exit confirmation dialog box has two check boxes saying 'Run NextSTART at Windows startup' and 'Run WorkShelf at Windows startup'. Are both boxes checked?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:48 pm 

They are indeed both checked. By the way, my OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

Another issue: I have 2 hotspots (icons) on the desktop. I have set them to "Normal Z-Order" (whatever that means). In other words, they are not set to be "On Top". Regardless, they still often appear "on top" of other windows.

Another issue (Windows or WinStep?): I am writing in one window (e.g. this Window). I now minimize the browser window in order to access another window (or the desktop). I then go back to WinStep (FireFox)window to continue writing( cursor is active) and I am unable to continue writing. The keyboard has become inactive and/or responds with a long delay. I then must go through hoops (usually going to another window & using the cursor)in order to continue writing! This is very bizarre but quite reproducible.

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm 

The following 2 problems continue to be a pain in the arse:

1. When my computer reboots, both WinStart & WinShelf are not visible. I then need to restart WS Wtreme.

2. I have 2 hotspots (icons) on the desktop. I have set them to "Normal Z-Order" (whatever that means). In other words, they are not set to be "On Top". Also, under BUTTON PROPERTIES, "ALWAYS KEEP ABOVE OTHER WINDOWS" is not checked off. Regardless, the HOTSPOT buttons still often appear "on top" of other windows.

I need some help here! Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey John, and sorry for the late reply...

1. IIRC, the last time a user had this problem was because he had set Xtreme applications to run with high privileges, which effectively blocks them from being run at startup (instead of creating a UAC prompt, Windows simply doesn't run the application).

This can be fixed by right clicking the nextstart.exe and workshelf.exe executables in C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\, clicking the Compatibility tab and making sure 'Run this program as an administrator' is NOT checked.

On the other hand, you do say you need to restart Xtreme. Does that mean it is running but simply not visible?

Something else you can try: disable the 'run on startup' settings in both WorkShelf and NextSTART and create a shortcut to 'WinstepXtreme.exe' in the Startup group of the Start Menu.

2. 'Always keep above other windows' being disabled does not mean the buttons will *always* appear *below* other windows. They will have a normal z-order, and sometimes will appear above other times below other windows, depending on what has the focus. I assume that when you click on the Window behind a hotspot button, this comes to the foreground and overlaps the button, right? If so, that is normal behavior.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 pm 

Quote:
Something else you can try: disable the 'run on startup' settings in both WorkShelf and NextSTART and create a shortcut to 'WinstepXtreme.exe' in the Startup group of the Start Menu.

This seems to have worked. So far, so good. Thanks.

2. Is there any way to keep my 2 Hot Spot buttons "below" all windows? They always seem to interfere with something when they pop up over a window (mostly either FireFox or Thunderbird).

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]