Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: A few questions...
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:58 pm 

Hi, I've been using WinStep for quite a while now, but haven't posted before. I had a couplke questions about both the current version and the Xtreme beta.

1) Modules wreak havoc with opengl apps?they show through whenever they refresh. I'm thinking that this is more of a windows/opengl issue than a WinStep issue, but has anybody had any luck with the modules not interfering with opengl displays?

2) Icons called from a certain position in a dll file don't seem to be working anymore for hotspot buttons. Example: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,35 used to show an icon, now it doesn't?button is blank. (This is in the beta.)

3) Something that's always bugged me about working with hotspots is that whenever you click the Preview button, the hotspot number always jumps back to number 1. If you're not watching for this, you end up editing the wrong hotspot. Is there some way to make this not happen?

4) For the Tasklist, is there any way to have a 32x32 icon drawn on a 32x32 button? Whenever I try to change the Tasklist icon size to 32x32, it forces the button size up to something that's larger than I want.

5) I like the new Snapshots feature, but is there a way to specify where they popup in relation to the tasklist buttons? I use a vertical tasklist on the left edge of my main monitor. When I hover over tasklist buttons, the Snapshots come up right in the gutter between the two monitors. Any way to change that?

Thanks!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
1) Modules wreak havoc with opengl apps?they show through whenever they refresh. I'm thinking that this is more of a windows/opengl issue than a WinStep issue, but has anybody had any luck with the modules not interfering with opengl displays?

I'm not running any OpenGL applications here, but I would say that is indeed an issue with layered windows and OpenGl applications - so, yes, it is a limitation of the current Windows technology, not a problem with Winstep itself.

Quote:
2) Icons called from a certain position in a dll file don't seem to be working anymore for hotspot buttons. Example: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,35 used to show an icon, now it doesn't?button is blank. (This is in the beta.)

Fixed in next release, thank you.

Quote:
3) Something that's always bugged me about working with hotspots is that whenever you click the Preview button, the hotspot number always jumps back to number 1. If you're not watching for this, you end up editing the wrong hotspot. Is there some way to make this not happen?

As a matter of fact, it always bugged me too, but I never got around to fix this behavior until now. So, fixed for next release, thank you. :D

Quote:
4) For the Tasklist, is there any way to have a 32x32 icon drawn on a 32x32 button? Whenever I try to change the Tasklist icon size to 32x32, it forces the button size up to something that's larger than I want.

Tasklist buttons will always be a bit higher than the actual icon size. This is because icons would otherwise overlap button frames, something that would look terrible.

Quote:
5) I like the new Snapshots feature, but is there a way to specify where they popup in relation to the tasklist buttons? I use a vertical tasklist on the left edge of my main monitor. When I hover over tasklist buttons, the Snapshots come up right in the gutter between the two monitors. Any way to change that?

Ah, damn, forgot about vertical tasklist configurations :oops: . Just to clarify: what you mean is that the left edge of the snapshot is aligned with the left edge of your primary monitor, right?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:15 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ah, damn, forgot about vertical tasklist configurations :oops: . Just to clarify: what you mean is that the left edge of the snapshot is aligned with the left edge of your primary monitor, right?

Right now the left half of the snapshot is on the left monitor, and the right half is on the center monitor. The snapshot is split between the 2. The tasklist itself is vertical, with the left edge of the taskbuttons up against the left edge of the center monitor.

In the image below, the red line represents the monitor seam. It would be cool if the snapshots could come up just to the right of the tasklist.

Anyway, thanks for writing such a cool program. I've been using it for a couple years now I think, and I'm sure I'll be upgrading to Xtreme when it's final.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the screenshot- fixing the problem as we speak. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]