Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: missing sound effects: workshelf and nextstart
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 pm 

to make a long story short i was for some reason having probs installing win 7 64bit in in my second partition. i finally got it installed, but when i went back into my 32bit version i had been rolled back to 7/16/2010. i brought winstep back up to date, reapplied my saved settings(after applying the theme i had been using just to be safe), but i am now missing the custom effects sounds for the menus on both workshelf and nextstart. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: missing sound effects: workshelf and nextstart
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What version of Xtreme are you running?

There was a bug in an older version where the sound files were stored at the wrong location (Winstep\NeXus\Backgrounds\ instead of Winstep\Themes\ ).

Latest versions automatically relocate the sound themes to the correct location when run.

Either that or you deleted the sound themes - try re-installing Xtreme v10.9 on top of itself.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:54 pm 

winstep wrote:
What version of Xtreme are you running?

There was a bug in an older version where the sound files were stored at the wrong location (Winstep\NeXus\Backgrounds\ instead of Winstep\Themes\ ).

Latest versions automatically relocate the sound themes to the correct location when run.

Either that or you deleted the sound themes - try re-installing Xtreme v10.9 on top of itself.

o.k., i'll try reinstalling it on top of itself. because this is a freash 64 bit install of 7 and i made sure i had the latest release of winstep installed.

i should have mentioned that it is this way in both the 32 bit and 64 bit win 7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:01 am 

ok, that didn't work. i am truly out of ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure? Check the Sounds tab in WorkShelf.

Note that sound effects in NextSTART work differently than they do in WorkShelf (WorkShelf as 'Sound themes', NextSTART does not - you just browse to a WAV file a associate the sound file yourself with a particular event - just like you do with Windows sounds).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 am 

no none of the sound effects you added for the context menus including the start menu are there, nor are the sound effects for the context menus in workshelf / nexus there either. the regular set of sounds for nexus / workshelf are there but the drop down menu for sound in nextstart is empty, and when i click browse and click the winstep folder the browsing window closes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I said, Sounds work differently in WorkShelf and NextSTART. The sound themes are there in WorkShelf, according to your own words.

I think therefore that the only problem you have is that when you click Browse in NextSTART to select a WAV or MIDI file for a sound event the browsing window closes. This shouldn't happen as it is a common Windows dialog, you should be able to navigate folders normally, and the window would only close once a file was selected and Open clicked on (or Cancel pressed).

Can you please post a screenshot with the browsing window open so I understand better what might be happening?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:53 am 

all of my sounds that i used were in the drop down list right next to the browse button, they have always been there. on this install that drop down list is empty. i have never had to browse for the sounds before.

now out of curiosity i decided to try opening other folders and they opened without any problems, when i click on the winstep folder the windown closes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's because that 'Winstep' in there is NOT a folder, but a *shortcut* file to a folder (a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.:D).

Windows apparently displays shortcuts in the browser window even though the file mask is set to display *.wav and *mid files only - but instead of navigating to the folder as it should when you click on it, it returns the .lnk file, which is not a valid .wav or .mid file.

Don't click on that shortcut, but navigate to the following path:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 pm 

winstep wrote:
That's because that 'Winstep' in there is NOT a folder, but a *shortcut* file to a folder (a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.:D).

Windows apparently displays shortcuts in the browser window even though the file mask is set to display *.wav and *mid files only - but instead of navigating to the folder as it should when you click on it, it returns the .lnk file, which is not a valid .wav or .mid file.

Don't click on that shortcut, but navigate to the following path:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep

ok, navigating to the wistep folder in pub;ic users works to get the right sounds, but i have to do it for every sound i want. it will not reload the samples list.

ok, playing with i a little i finally got the browse dialog box to open the samples folder each time.

the only thing that seems to be missing now are the custom effects sounds. if you have them i can cheat winstep by just placing them in the samples folder. you know explosion, etc....

thanks for your help and patience on this

Last edited by ChuckysChild on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You didn't understand what I said above. :D NextSTART does not have 'sound themes', only WorkShelf does. In NextSTART you have to associate sound files with events one by one - it was always like that, I suspect you just set it once and then forgot about it. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:26 pm 

winstep wrote:
You didn't understand what I said above. :D NextSTART does not have 'sound themes', only WorkShelf does. In NextSTART you have to associate sound files with events one by one - it was always like that, I suspect you just set it once and then forgot about it. :D

so in a nut shell that would mean that both my nextstart and workshelf backups got corrupted at the same time. cause even on workshelf if i change themes i have to add back my sounds. nexus seems to retain it's sound scheme. i added to my previous post as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the Sounds tab of WorkShelf Preferences, check the 'Prevent themes from changing your current sound scheme' setting.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
In the Sounds tab of WorkShelf Preferences, check the 'Prevent themes from changing your current sound scheme' setting.

ah ok cool, and about the missing explosion sound and other custom sounds? anyway for you to up them so i can just drop them in the sample sounds folder?

and one last thing i'm going to send you a file that is a work in progress from a friend. can you or someone else check it to see if maybe it is what caused my probs?

http://www.mediafire.com/?2b4hsny8m27296n

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 pm 

krazdkiller wrote:
winstep wrote:

ah ok cool, and about the missing explosion sound and other custom sounds? anyway for you to up them so i can just drop them in the sample sounds folder?

and one last thing i'm going to send you a file that is a work in progress from a friend. can you or someone else check it to see if maybe it is what caused my probs?

http://www.mediafire.com/?2b4hsny8m27296n

any info on the custom effect sounds?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]