Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Nexus Dock - file and folder locations
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm 

Hi, I just tried Winstep Nexus Dock... and sorry to say but I also just removed it from my system. It seems to have a habit of depositing many files and folders in reserved areas, primarily in the Shared Documents Folder (a folder reserved for personal documents the users of this computer wish to share with each other... without the nuisance of having to wade through system files and folders).
Since I found no option to move this folder to a less intrusive area, I manually moved it and manually redirected every registry entry pointing to this location, to another location... and Nexus ignored the change, and recreated it's folder structure in the shared documents folder (is this hard coded or hidden in some location other then the programs installed folder or the registry)? Anyway, I can't have apps leaving their deposits where it's intrusive to users, so even though Nexus dock looked (in other ways) very promising, I was left with no choice, and it was gently removed.

By the way... what is being looked for is a dock (launch or menu bars) to set up and organize, to quickly find and launch files, folders, and apps. Spinning, sounds, skins, etc are not part of the requisite. Clean, simple and efficient is the goal. It was to be tabbed or multiple, so it may be set up for multiple users and tasks (photo management, office work, web-email, etc), so non technical folk may use this computer without much effort. I'm still looking for the right dock.

If there is a way to avoid this issue with file-folder location, I'd be interested in hearing. Nexus looked interesting, and I was able to turn off much of the 'glitz'. If this is do-able, it will probably end up with Winstep Extreme (for the tabbed dock, multiple dock, and workshelf features).

Thank You for this forum so I may post... and have a chance of a resolve.

~Lee

Post subject: Re: Winstep Nexus Dock - file and folder locations
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LeeGe wrote:
Hi, I just tried Winstep Nexus Dock... and sorry to say but I also just removed it from my system. It seems to have a habit of depositing many files and folders in reserved areas, primarily in the Shared Documents Folder (a folder reserved for personal documents the users of this computer wish to share with each other... without the nuisance of having to wade through system files and folders).

Well, don't tell this to us, go tell it to Microsoft. :wink: Starting with Vista, MS enforced folders in C:\Program Files\ to be Read-only. While before all files and folder related to Winstep were under C:\Program Files\Winstep\, we, like every other developer, were forced to split read/write user data from read-only data such as executables, etc...

Winstep applications are multi-user compatible (which means each user can have his very own preferences on log-on) but it obviously made no sense to duplicate actual theme files (which can consume a certain amount of disk space) for each user, therefore those files must be stored in folder that is shared between all users of the PC.

The AppData/ProgramData folder was considered for a while, but unfortunately Microsoft made it a hidden folder, which is not a good thing when you actually want users to be able to see and access their data - the only real choice left was therefore Shared Documents/Public Documents.

That's the way it is, sorry. Personally I still think all data for an application should be stored together within the same folder (which also makes backing up a particular application a lot easier), instead of being spread all over the hard disk... but, as I said, please feel free to blame Microsoft for this. :wink:

LeeGe wrote:
By the way... what is being looked for is a dock (launch or menu bars) to set up and organize, to quickly find and launch files, folders, and apps. Spinning, sounds, skins, etc are not part of the requisite. Clean, simple and efficient is the goal. It was to be tabbed or multiple, so it may be set up for multiple users and tasks (photo management, office work, web-email, etc), so non technical folk may use this computer without much effort. I'm still looking for the right dock.

A lot of people like the eye candy. The good thing about Nexus is that it manages to mix lots of eye candy with lots of functionality (Winstep always focused more on functionality, but eye candy does sell, so...). As you discovered, you can always turn off all the glitz you don't like. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]