Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Bug?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:00 pm 

skagon wrote:
I really hate to re-enter this flame war... but...

krazdkiller wrote:
...blah blah...
windows settings tweaked, custom tweaks added
3rd party software installed

...more blah...

...while installing other custom themes...

...blah...

...and then you can say it's HyperDesk's fault... heh...

the hell i can't. whayt part of when i tested hypedesk in that environment that it was the only custom them installed didn't you understand? for your info you are the only one flaming, and trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm 

She doesn't get it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look guys, there are so many different combinations of Window configurations out there that every application will have problems sooner or later.

This does not necessarily mean it's the application's fault, but some strange and unexpected combination of factors. Remember the Logitech Setpoint problem, in which Winstep docks, the Shelf, menus and/or the taskbar would suddenly go blank? Or the Logitech CamCpl issue, in which their buggy Web cam Control Panel applet would crash Winstep applications every time they tried to enumerate the contents of the Control Panel to display it in a menu or on the Shelf?

In the end, as most of you know, due to the populariy of Logitech products I was the one who had to figure out what was going on and come up with work-arounds for bugs in 3rd party software.

These were all problems that were not Winstep's fault, but, to an external observer, it was Winstep mis-behaving or crashing, therefore Winstep applications must be buggy.

Now imagine if someone that run into that kept complaining everywhere that Winstep applictions suck. I wouldn't be very pleased either. But were they lying? In their subjective experience, Winstep was indeed buggy.

Furthermore, *every* application WILL, by definition, use some system resources. In a modern world of 4GB+ RAM systems, where a session of IE uses 100 MB just to display a single web page, I sincerely don't understand why some users still cry fool when a graphics-intensive application they use every day consumes the staggering amount of... 20 MB RAM. It's ridiculous - their browser is using 5 times more RAM than that just to display this page, but they don't complain about that.

The fact remains that currently there are only two applictions you can use to skin the OS: WindowBlinds and HyperDesk. Each uses it's own skinning method and engine, each has advantages and disadvantages. One company is an application provider (Stardock) the other company (HyperDesk and Skins Factory) is a content (themes) provider.

There is a reason the world is not filled with applications that skin the OS (and why I chose never to go there with Winstep despite all the user requests) - so be happy and rejoice that, as a user, you actually have a choice and can decide which application suites your needs better.

Thread closed as temperaments are starting to flare up. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4