Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Bug?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 pm 

Hi mate. I have a bit of bad news here. I don't know exactly why it happens, anyway, here's the description:
I've got a setup (on the 32-bit system, a notebook) with:
- a shelf docked on the top edge, autohide (after a short delay), start collapsed, hide tabs when collapsed, and always on top (z-order), activate by edge bump (after short delay)
- a dock, again docked on the top edge, always visible and always below other windows (z-order), disabled edge action
Problem: sometimes, after the notebook going to sleep (and subsequently awakening), the shelf goes MIA. The dock is sitting there, being pretty and all, but the shelf doesn't pop up after edge bump. If I open the prefs and go to shelf properties, it appears, and the arrow points to it. After closing the prefs, it still won't show. I've tried disabling and re-enabling it, I've tried making changes and hitting 'apply', it won't show. I have to exit Nexus completely and re-run, and then it starts behaving. That happens sometimes, not every time after sleep (or hibernate).
Any ideas?

Also, any comment on making the pop-up balloons skinnable? I've tried changing the resources in the .exe, but I'd rather have a more "official" and not as h4x0rm47ic solution. ;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject: Re: Bug?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the problem might have something to do with the application stopping to respond to edge bumps and hot keys. If so, I've already provided a 'fail-safe' mechanism to prevent this in the next version.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 pm 

Ok, thanks for that. I can't wait to see the improved version.
However, I've got another bug, and this one appears to be for real.
Let's go over the basics again:
- Windows 7 Enterprise x64, lots of RAM, lots of CPU cores, lots of GPUs, plus HyperDesk (if that makes any difference)
- shelf on top side, always on top, autohide, span width, two tabs, one tab drives, one regular tab
- one dock, again top side, always visible, always bottom, a few widgets in it
I tried adding a few widgets in the regular tab of the shelf, like clock, cpu metre, ram metre etc. just for the hell of it (trying out things).
Whilst all the plain shortcuts work nicely (including Control Panel and Desktop commands), and the same widgets work just fine in the dock, whenever the mouse hovers over those widgets (clock, cpu, ram, lan) in the shelf, I get this:
Code:
Nexus Ultimate Exception Handler (not responding) [obviously]
Error: Unknown (&HC0000002)
It might be possible to continue running etc.

...and I have to hit "close program" in the "Nexus Ultimate has stopped working" pop-up that I get shortly thereafter.

Any ideas?
Oh, by the way, I tried even using the non-skinned (i.e. !h4x0r3d) version of the .exe, same results...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a couple of comments on this:

1. By changing the executable's resource file you are causing the self-integrity check to fail.

2. That you do not getting a red dialog warning over this means that even your non-h4x0r3d executable is, in fact, an h4x0r3d version (not to mention that Nexus Ultimate is not officially available as a trial version).

3. Even if this is not the cause of the current issue, you are *guaranteed* to have problems sooner or later.

4. I have a Shelf with several modules on a regular tab and I don't get any errors here, and never did (in fact, the Main tab of the default Shelf already comes with every module). This does not mean that a bug does not exist, just that it won't show under normal conditions - which means you must experiment different things yourself to see if the problem goes away, and, if so, what triggers it, and then report back.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 pm 

Let's be frank here. I know that Nexus Ultimate is not available as a trial version, and yes, I got it from where you know I did, simply because I am primarily interested in the "drives dock/shelf" functionality, and I wanted to try it out to see if it performs "as advertised".
I do get a red dialogue, actually :P I haven't wasted any effort in h4x0r!ng the protection, because I will buy it sooner or later (and I'm convinced you'll make the pop-up balloons skinnable eventually too). I have better things to do with my time, like make the Greek translation or finish up the Hyperdesk Star Trek theme of Nexus.
Other than the balloon png resources, the exe is unharmed, and even so, I do have a backup of the completely unmodified file, just to be on the safe side. It's having problems with that too.
Anyhow, I'll try a few things and get back to you on that...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:
I do get a red dialogue, actually :P

Ah-ah! lol

skagon wrote:
I'm convinced you'll make the pop-up balloons skinnable eventually too

Yes, that is actually on the to-do list.

skagon wrote:
Anyhow, I'll try a few things and get back to you on that...

Let me know if you come up with something. I never had a report of such a bug (it would be something pretty obvious, and I'm actually surprised you only had problems now as the Shelf's Main tab does feature all modules by default)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 pm 

winstep wrote:
Yes, that is actually on the to-do list.

Keep me around, and that to-do list could easily become "the neverending story"... :P

winstep wrote:
Let me know if you come up with something. I never had a report of such a bug (it would be something pretty obvious, and I'm actually surprised you only had problems now as the Shelf's Main tab does feature all modules by default)

You can imagine my amazement... I was like "hey, let's see if that CPU metre looks any better on the shelf... WTGDFH???"

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 pm 

Ok, nailed it. It was a simple line of logic, actually... what happens to an icon, upon mouseover? Well... think about it...

It's the "sonic boom" effect. Whenever I try it, anywhere, Nexus crashes (in)gloriously...
I've had "no effects" on the dock, that's why it was behaving. Tried changing it to "sonic boom" and... boom indeed! There goes Nexus. Sonic boom works nicely on icons and links and commands and shit like that (I guess it's the static icon), but try it on a widget and it's a sonic boom alright! By the way, all the other effects behave.

So there... now it's up to you! ;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you nailed it, but I'm still unable to reproduce it here.

Does it happen only in the Shelf or also in docks?

Can you please post a screenshot displaying the Shelf and the in-shelf modules?

Does it happen on *all* the modules?

What icon size is the Shelf set to?

What theme?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 am 

Okay, let's take it from the top:

winstep wrote:
Does it happen only in the Shelf or also in docks?

Both docks and shelf. All I have to do is set the effect to "sonic boom" and hover a module.

winstep wrote:
Can you please post a screenshot displaying the Shelf and the in-shelf modules?

Sure. Even though it happens with *any* module combination. But I can do better. Have a backup of my config. What's wrong in there, propagates nicely. See for yourself.

winstep wrote:
Does it happen on *all* the modules?

Yup.

winstep wrote:
What icon size is the Shelf set to?

Doesn't matter. Was 96px. Tried also 80, 64, 120. Same thing.

winstep wrote:
What theme?

Doesn't matter. Originally, my own, i.e. modified Atmospherica. Tried also "Brisa", "Cabal", "Windows 7 Extreme", "Tinted". Same effect.

[irrelevant bug]
Open the shelf properties. Go to "content" tab. Select one of the shelf's tabs (for example, the last one). Click "delete". Now, click somewhere on the empty space in the tabs list. And now... click on the space, one line below the last item in the list. Bam. Sonic boom, again... [check "delete-bug.png" for visual info]

[irrelevant bug #2]
Right-click the shelf. Select "shelf properties" from the pop-up menu. Click it. You'll get tab properties instead.

Attachments:
wsbackup_002.rar [8.15 KiB]
Downloaded 824 times
Delete-bug.png
Delete-bug.png [ 230.59 KiB | Viewed 20795 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am 

...aaaaand... two updates.

First: I forgot to mention, clearing everything (prefs->troubleshooting->'reset everything"='), fixes the problem. I'm re-setting everything to how it was, on a clear (reset) base and so far, everything's working nicely.

Second: ...buuuuut... I got a weird "security check: you've restarted the trial version one time too many, buster, so your ass is grass and I'm a lawnmower... What now? Let me tell you "what now". I'm gonna call a couple of hard, pipe-hitting niggas to go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talking, hillbilly boy?"

WTF dude? It was crashing and I was on a bug-hunting expedition with a pair of pliers and a blow-torch! It's not like, I was restarting it for the hell of it! Now, can I resume my God-graceous act somehow?
Now, what I'd like to hear from you is something like "you ain't got no problem, Jules, I'm on the m#f#... now you go back in there and chill them niggaz out, and wait for the cavalry which should be arriving **directly**."
my little Quentin Tarantino tribute :P

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will fix itself after midnight - that's what you get for running unregistered and re-starting the software one too many times. lol

Now move your fat behind to figure out exactly which change you did triggers the Access Violation bug. :wink:

EDIT: Hmmm... Just noticed the time stamp on your post. Don't tell me you restarted the software THAT many times under 1 hour!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 am 

winstep wrote:
It will fix itself after midnight - that's what you get for running unregistered and re-starting the software one too many times. lol

After midnight?!!!?!?? What, tomorrow? It's 7am here!

winstep wrote:
Now move your fat behind to figure out exactly which change you did triggers the Access Violation bug. :wink:

I wish I knew...

winstep wrote:
EDIT: Hmmm... Just noticed the time stamp on your post. Don't tell me you restarted the software THAT many times under 1 hour!

Look at it this way: it crashed *that* many times in one hour...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sigh.

You got mail.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:19 am 

winstep wrote:
Sigh.

You got mail.

Indeed! Sweet!

You sent the Wolf? Shieeeeeet negro! That's all you had to say! :P

Thanks, mate!
Now I have to see which goddamn setting combo fμcks up supersonic...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next