Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bug?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:
I forgot to mention, clearing everything (prefs->troubleshooting->'reset everything"='), fixes the problem.

Figured it out: this would happen if you had disabled the modules icon cache in Performance Settings. Fixed.

skagon wrote:
Open the shelf properties. Go to "content" tab. Select one of the shelf's tabs (for example, the last one). Click "delete". Now, click somewhere on the empty space in the tabs list. And now... click on the space, one line below the last item in the list. Bam. Sonic boom, again...

Fixed.

skagon wrote:
Right-click the shelf. Select "shelf properties" from the pop-up menu. Click it. You'll get tab properties instead.

Fixed.

Thanks. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 pm 

Damn, man, you're quick!
I had subconsciously dismissed the "Performance" settings. Don't know why.
I just had disabled the icon cache, because I was thinking that by caching, it would keep an icon like... well... imagine this scenario:
- you connect a USB drive, which has an autorun.inf and an icon (icon1.ico)
- it gets assigned the drive letter, say, G:
- you remove that USB drive
- you connect some other USB stick, which also has autorun.inf and icon (icon2.ico)
- the new drive gets assigned the same drive letter, G:
- Nexus displays icon1.ico, because it's cached and it is unaware of the change

Now, that is a totally theoretical scenario. I don't know if it happens or not.
However, I had to point it out.

As for the fixes in general... man, I know you just sent me a license, but I really feel like buying it, just to show my appreciation!
Cheers to you!

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just get that Greek translation done - consider the key upfront royalties. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Besides, you can buy the license for a friend of yours if you want to ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 pm 

Actually, I've already started advertising Nexus, simply because of the very functionality that attracted me in the first place. You see, back in the olden days, I had shown the 'trick' of having a "My Computer" toolbar (with all the drives) on the top edge, always on top, autohide, something that a lot of my friends found extremely useful and had been using for years. Now that Windows 7 ditched that (it's impossible to detach any toolbar from the taskbar), they came to me for some 'hack' to re-enable it, and were disappointed when I told them it can't be done.
Now that I found Nexus, I've told them about it, and the added advantage of having other 'tabs' or more docks with shortcuts at the same time, and they were all interested. I don't know if they'll buy it, but many of them loved the idea of again having their nice 'drives' toolbar (shelf) again.
In any case, I alone have enough computers around to make Jorge a wealthy man. :P
We'll see...

On another note, the Greek translation is at around 40% done, but it's an enormous task. I'm trying to add 100 lines every day, but I'm still at around #700 out of 1500 (or so).
The HyperDesk Star Trek theme is going much better, though... ;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Let me know when you finished the star trek theme as I definitely would be interested into using that ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm 

Sure thing. However, bear in mind, it's a theme designed to match the HyperDesk Star Trek 'skin', I'm not sure how well it would stand on its own.
In any case... here's a screenshot, for your viewing pleasure:

I've just included the normal taskbar and a window, just for reference.
How do you like it?
Oh, by the way, the pop-up 'balloons' should be waiting for the full skinnability implementation. For the time being, it's done through hacking the .exe file.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I like the skin because it's quite clean, almost minimalistic. That's my style as well, keeping everything minimalistic (for example I have desktop shortcuts invisible because I want to look at the wallpapers, not at those icons which is the reason I use Winstep (though lately I use the start menu search bar a lot more) :D That and Winstep has nice features/effects as well, using the wind effect that I've colorized to blue which gives it a nice unobtrusive but clear effect).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a word of warning, and sorry to rain on your parade: don't publicly distribute that theme - not only am I pretty sure Jesh (Hyperdesk's CEO) would not approve of it, as Paramount Pictures, CBS and their licensees are the only organizations legally allowed to create commercial products with the Star Trek name and trademark.

So whatever you do, it's best to keep it e-mail only. :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:27 pm 

Well... I think us two will have a few discussions in the near future. I have some ideas, but I'm not sure which way to go. For instance, take the following shots:

Which one? ;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm 

winstep wrote:
Just a word of warning, and sorry to rain on your parade: don't publicly distribute that theme - not only am I pretty sure Jesh (Hyperdesk's CEO) would not approve of it, as Paramount Pictures, CBS and their licensees are the only organizations legally allowed to create commercial products with the Star Trek name and trademark.

So whatever you do, it's best to keep it e-mail only. :P

Actually... I've already told Jeff. He's been kind enough to provide me with some raw samples as well, even though all that you see in my theme has been drawn from scratch in PaintShop Pro.
Also, CBS and Paramount have nothing to do with it, since I'm not including *anything* that belongs to them, no starfleet insignia, no icons, no shields, nothing. I doubt they can claim proprietorship (or however the hell it's called in legalese) of a shiny black bar or a yellow-gold stripe.
;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Regarding that yellow line:
If you're going to go for a star-trek-ish theme then I'd include the yellow line.
Personally I like the first one though, but that is because I don't choose the skin for the trekky-ness (even though I like Star Trek :P)

Regarding distribution:
Avoid using the name Star Trek in any combination with your theme (that would include what you already posted) and they can indeed do not much unless it is very blatant.
The Federation symbol from Star Trek is very similar to the symbol you're currently using so they might send a cease and desist letter/email about that. That chess image as well, they could complain about it but 3D chess in itself is not owned by them, just the method on how they did it is (as it is indeed a Star Trek version).

That being said, this is just to help you, not to discourage you. Copyright laws are complicated and often subjective to interpretation with certain IPs and what they used. My main concern would be those two images and creating a theme using the name "Star Trek" in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 pm 

kutagh wrote:
Regarding that yellow line:
If you're going to go for a star-trek-ish theme then I'd include the yellow line.
Personally I like the first one though, but that is because I don't choose the skin for the trekky-ness (even though I like Star Trek :P)

I have a feeling I'll make a few variations, with and without stripes.

kutagh wrote:
Regarding distribution:
Avoid using the name Star Trek in any combination with your theme (that would include what you already posted) and they can indeed do not much unless it is very blatant.
The Federation symbol from Star Trek is very similar to the symbol you're currently using so they might send a cease and desist letter/email about that. That chess image as well, they could complain about it but 3D chess in itself is not owned by them, just the method on how they did it is (as it is indeed a Star Trek version).

That being said, this is just to help you, not to discourage you. Copyright laws are complicated and often subjective to interpretation with certain IPs and what they used. My main concern would be those two images and creating a theme using the name "Star Trek" in it.

You are confusing the Nexus backgrounds with the icons. What I made is only the backgrounds. The icons themselves either come with the HyperDesk Star Trek theme (communicator, UIP flag, 3D chess, documents) or I found them in free icon packages (Starfleet shield) - (iconfactory or skinbase, can't remember). I will not include any such icons with the themes.
The same goes for the wallpaper. It's all part of the (really excellent) HyperDesk TOS theme. If you want to see for yourself, pay them a visit.
Actually, right now the themes are on sale for a mere $4.95 a piece, so I think the price shouldn't be an issue for anyone interested.

So, all in all, I don't see a problem anywhere. If the name of the theme itself is a problem, I'll just call it "Hyperdesk STTOS" (or even HD:ST:TOS). Don't tell me they have a copyright on any letter combination that *may* be interpreted as "Star Trek"...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

They don't have the copyright on ST:TOS as that is indeed a generic acronym.
However, it would be infringing on their IP if you were to use it in such a way that it is almost clear to everyone (assuming 'everyone' knows what star trek is) that it refers to the Star Trek IP (at least, that's what I've learnt so far from Copyright laws, and I'm not even a lawyer or aiming to become one, just read the various discussions and verdicts).

Anyway disregard the points raised over the icons. Still I'd be careful with using "star trek" in the name for the theme. A better solution would be to give it your unique name and in the description use "Made for and inspired by the Hyperdesk Star Trek theme". That way it is unambiguously not a Star Trek theme but it works well (and has been designed to fit well) with the Hyperdesk Star Trek theme. If you ask me what the difference is, in legalese it is a huge difference ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 am 

kutagh wrote:
A better solution would be to give it your unique name and in the description use "Made for and inspired by the Hyperdesk Star Trek theme". That way it is unambiguously not a Star Trek theme but it works well (and has been designed to fit well) with the Hyperdesk Star Trek theme.

Very good idea. I'm open to proposals. I'm thinking something along the lines of "Vulcanic slab" or "Vulcanizator" or something equally stupendous. :P
[inside joke: "vulcanizater" in Greek is a tyre repair shop :D]

You know, this thing's got me thinking... whilst searching for Star Trek icons, I've found an enormity of available skins, icons, themes, images and sounds, all derived from the Star Trek universe (not to mention stuff from other 'universes', like Galactica, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and so on and so forth). I'm willing to bet noone (or almost noone) has bothered with licenses or contacting Paramount or anything. I can definitely understand the "cover-our-asses" approach, but maybe (just maybe) we're over-reacting a bit here?

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next