Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bug?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yeah that was the first thing I was thinking as well but well, better to prevent than to repair afterwards. You see, with people pirating they don´t try to catch everyone and fine them but get a couple of those and sue them for lots of money to scare away the others (as well as trying to shut down major distributors of illegal material). I wouldn't be surprised if in the future a company gets hold of the Star Trek IP and rights and decides to crack down on infringing materials by sending them all a letter/mail demanding a $500 reimbursement as well as removing it from the web and threatening with lawsuits if you don't cooperate. There are companies that do such stuff (albeit more often using patents they've acquired).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm 

do yourself a favor and ditch hyperdesk. uses too many resources, themes really are not that great, and almost impossible to completely uninstall should you have probs with it. sorry for my two cents, but i'm far from the only one who thinks hyperdesk is a joke.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh I love the Hyperdesk themes. They're made by Skins Factory/Kol and each theme is trully beautiful - a small work of art, in my opinion. The guys making themes for Skins Factory/Hyperdesk are very talented artists.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm 

krazdkiller wrote:
do yourself a favor and ditch hyperdesk. uses too many resources, themes really are not that great, and almost impossible to completely uninstall should you have probs with it. sorry for my two cents, but i'm far from the only one who thinks hyperdesk is a joke.

You are entitled to your opinion. Allow me to have mine. And I am sorry but I have to set the record straight, because you just appear out of nowhere and make defamatory statements.
And for the record, I am not associated in any way with HyperDesk, The Skins Factory or anyone else that's involved in their themes, other than some beta testing for it, and having Jeff in my facebook and exchanging a few silly comments now and then.

I have been using HyperDesk for a long time (I believe it's around 3 years?) and I've never had any problem with it, on any machine, on Windows XP, Vista or 7, 32 or 64-bit. Right now, I'm using HyperDesk on 4 computers, one XP, one 7 x64 and one 7 x86. I could post a screenshot of my Task Manager (process explorer actually). The HyperDesk theme process is using 2,3MB of RAM, 25MB of virtual memory (the unavoidable bitmaps), and has 'eaten' 0:00:00.453 (453 milliseconds) of CPU time, after 43 hours of system uptime.
Also, all of HyperDesk's 'magic' is being done in-memory, which means it's not altering any Windows files and also, uninstall is ridiculously simple. And trust me, I've done my fair share of stupidities with it, like installing the Vista version on top on the '7' version, on Windows 7, and then uninstalling them. Guess what: no problems.

All in all, whether their themes are great or not, that's subjective; others like them, others don't. But as far as I'm concerned, HyperDesk uses virtually NO resources at all, has never caused me *any* problems and, for the record, coming from WindowBlinds, switching to HyperDesk, I thought I had just upgraded my CPU from a Celeron to a Phenom II and my RAM from 128MB to 4GB *simultaneously*.

So... thanks but... no thanks. ;)

P.S. Forgot to mention: I have such a great opinion of HyperDesk that, a few weeks ago, I bought 5 themes of theirs (even though I'm only using one) just to show them my support. Cheers!

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:02 pm 

skagon wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion. Allow me to have mine. And I am sorry but I have to set the record straight, because you just appear out of nowhere and make defamatory statements.
And for the record, I am not associated in any way with HyperDesk, The Skins Factory or anyone else that's involved in their themes, other than some beta testing for it, and having Jeff in my facebook and exchanging a few silly comments now and then.

I have been using HyperDesk for a long time (I believe it's around 3 years?) and I've never had any problem with it, on any machine, on Windows XP, Vista or 7, 32 or 64-bit. Right now, I'm using HyperDesk on 4 computers, one XP, one 7 x64 and one 7 x86. I could post a screenshot of my Task Manager (process explorer actually). The HyperDesk theme process is using 2,3MB of RAM, 25MB of virtual memory (the unavoidable bitmaps), and has 'eaten' 0:00:00.453 (453 milliseconds) of CPU time, after 43 hours of system uptime.
Also, all of HyperDesk's 'magic' is being done in-memory, which means it's not altering any Windows files and also, uninstall is ridiculously simple. And trust me, I've done my fair share of stupidities with it, like installing the Vista version on top on the '7' version, on Windows 7, and then uninstalling them. Guess what: no problems.

All in all, whether their themes are great or not, that's subjective; others like them, others don't. But as far as I'm concerned, HyperDesk uses virtually NO resources at all, has never caused me *any* problems and, for the record, coming from WindowBlinds, switching to HyperDesk, I thought I had just upgraded my CPU from a Celeron to a Phenom II and my RAM from 128MB to 4GB *simultaneously*.

So... thanks but... no thanks. ;)

the uninstall is not simple. rather your using their uninstaller or a third part uninstaller hyperdesk does leave items behind that you cannot find and that like to popup and change things. as for windowblind of course anything is better than windowblinds. i left that behind years ago because of the resource hog it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 pm 

krazdkiller wrote:
the uninstall is not simple. rather your using their uninstaller or a third part uninstaller hyperdesk does leave items behind that you cannot find and that like to popup and change things. as for windowblind of course anything is better than windowblinds. i left that behind years ago because of the resource hog it was.

...aaand here we go again...
The uninstall is ridiculously simple. In fact, you don't even have to uninstall to get rid of HyperDesk. Just run the application and select "Restore Windows". There is nothing to "pop up and change things". I'm not talking theoretically. I've done it. And trust me, I know my way around Windows, and I *can* find all there is to be found. Maybe the reason *you* cannot find "items" is because there's nothing to be found. Maybe it's something else you did, or some *other* program you installed, that's causing trouble.

Now, please, stop this. This is becoming ridiculous.
Just say "I hate HyperDesk for no reason" and I can live with that.
Spreading misinformation and vague stories of horror and doom, sorry but it's bad.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm 

skagon wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

...aaand here we go again...
The uninstall is ridiculously simple. In fact, you don't even have to uninstall to get rid of HyperDesk. Just run the application and select "Restore Windows". There is nothing to "pop up and change things". I'm not talking theoretically. I've done it. And trust me, I know my way around Windows, and I *can* find all there is to be found. Maybe the reason *you* cannot find "items" is because there's nothing to be found. Maybe it's something else you did, or some *other* program you installed, that's causing trouble.

Now, please, stop this. This is becoming ridiculous.
Just say "I hate HyperDesk for no reason" and I can live with that.
Spreading misinformation and vague stories of horror and doom, sorry but it's bad.

actually hyperdesk sets itself to try to be the only themes on the system. i know my way around windows extremely well too, and when i say hyerdesk does not completely uninstall it is not because of something i did or another program did. and again like i said a lot of people have run into the same issue with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:

I have to agree with Skagon on this one, Krazd. It's called FUD.

I hate it when this happens to Winstep applications too: for instance, someone rated Nexus 2 stars at Download.com saying their AV suite found two Trojans and God knows how many viruses in it. It's obviously a false positive (unless he downloaded Nexus from a site of ill repute instead of Winstep.net or Download.com, in which case it serves him right), but did he bother to check first, using an online virus scanner like VirusTotal, for instance, before crying wolf and scaring a lot of users away? Nah, of course not.

And he only needed to think a little bit before inserting foot and opening his mouth: would Cnet really host infected applications and have their Editors rate those applications 5 stars, as they did to Nexus and Winstep Xtreme? Of course not!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 pm 

Why is there always one? If you know what you are doing, there are absolutely no problems. Windowblinds uses almost no resources whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:47 pm 

winstep wrote:
skagon wrote:

I have to agree with Skagon on this one, Krazd. It's called FUD.

I hate it when this happens to Winstep applications too: for instance, someone rated Nexus 2 stars at Download.com saying their AV suite found two Trojans and God knows how many viruses in it. It's obviously a false positive (unless he downloaded Nexus from a site of ill repute instead of Winstep.net or Download.com, in which case it serves him right), but did he bother to check first, using an online virus scanner like VirusTotal, for instance, before crying wolf and scaring a lot of users away? Nah, of course not.

And he only needed to think a little bit before inserting foot and opening his mouth: would Cnet really host infected applications and have their Editors rate those applications 5 stars, as they did to Nexus and Winstep Xtreme? Of course not!

Is this recent? I checked all the options under Current Version and it had the same two that are positive.

I was going to give that SOB a piece of my mind. If he took the 2 seconds it takes to come to this site, he would immediately be able to tell that it was a false-positive without even signing up to address the issue, plus, as you mentioned, the 5 star rating. Dunderhead!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am 

Gregory2001 wrote:
Why is there always one? If you know what you are doing, there are absolutely no problems. Windowblinds uses almost no resources whatsoever.

watch the comments. as i stated before i am very good with comps. as for wb i'll be fair i have not touched it in years, and yes at the time i was running it it's creators even admitted that it ate resources.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:51 pm 

If that was true you would know that Hyperdesk has no problems at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 pm 

Gregory2001 wrote:
If that was true you would know that Hyperdesk has no problems at all.

ok since you semm to know so much.

here:

fresh os install on a drive that had been wiped 3 times to avoid any bleed through
drivers installed
security software installed
windows updates installed
windows settings tweaked, custom tweaks added
3rd party software installed
hyperdesk installed

this was a test i did after more than half a dozen people had the same issue i did with hyperdesk. i ran the test for two days with hyperdesk in. then i used hyperdesk's uninstaller to remove it. ran the test for two more days, mid day on the second day hyperdesk once again changed the login screen to one of it's own. plus while installing other custom themes after i had uninstalled hypedesk i would get various security alerts from zonealarm that hyperdesk wanted to modify this or that file, or hyperdesk wanted to set up this or that file to start with windows. if hyperdesk does not modify files then why was it try to get permission to do so? and before you ask i downloaded hyperdesk straight from the creators site, just like i do with winstep. and if hyperdesk's uninstaller is so great then why without any other custom themes installed did it leave pieces behind?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:14 pm 

It didn't. You're doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:42 pm 

I really hate to re-enter this flame war... but...

krazdkiller wrote:
...blah blah...
windows settings tweaked, custom tweaks added
3rd party software installed

...more blah...

...while installing other custom themes...

...blah...

...and then you can say it's HyperDesk's fault... heh...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next