Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Sticky tab
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 am 

Jeez, I stopped posting and the place got all quiet! :P

Anyhow, here's something I discovered.
Again, I've got the shelf on top, autohide, always on top, with two tabs on it. Even though I've got one tab declared as "sticky", and the "switch to sticky tab on execution" works nicely, the "Switch automatically to the sticky tab after" doesn't work.
The deal is, when the preferences window is open, then it works fine, even though the time is always less than set; 10 seconds setting actually are around 7 seconds real time. Anyway, when the properties window is open, and thus, the shelf can remain visible without the mouse pointer hovering on it, it switches automatically.
However, when all prefs are closed and neatly tucked in, and the mouse has to remain hovered in order to keep the shelf from collapsing, the shelf never switches to the sticky tab, ever. What's worse, if it collapses, it will remain stuck in the wrong tab, until I either switch myself, or launch an app or something.

Have fun with it ! ;)

P.S. Greek translation's almost done ;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject: Re: Sticky tab
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 am 

Oh, and another thing:
why are there two "exits" in the shelf right-click menu? In case one gets jammed? Crowd control? :P

Attachment:
double_exit.png
double_exit.png [ 114.68 KiB | Viewed 10962 times ]

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:
Anyway, when the properties window is open, and thus, the shelf can remain visible without the mouse pointer hovering on it, it switches automatically.
However, when all prefs are closed and neatly tucked in, and the mouse has to remain hovered in order to keep the shelf from collapsing, the shelf never switches to the sticky tab, ever.

Of course not, and it's by design. If your mouse pointer is over a tab that NOT the sticky tab, chances are that you are working on that particular tab. You definitely do NOT want the Shelf to automatically switch to the Sticky tab while you are working in another tab. :D

The idea is that it switches to the sticky tab only once your mouse pointer is 'off the Shelf' and/or after the Shelf has collapsed. This way, when you uncollapse the Shelf by quickly bumping the screen edge it is docked to, it will be displaying the sticky tab.

skagon wrote:
What's worse, if it collapses, it will remain stuck in the wrong tab, until I either switch myself, or launch an app or something.

Now THAT is indeed not proper behavior (unless the pointer is still over the Shelf tabs, of course, in which case it is *still* behaving as designed). The problem is that I have tested it here (with the mouse pointer completely off the Shelf) and is working as it should. If I can't reproduce a bug, I can't fix it. :cry:

skagon wrote:
why are there two "exits" in the shelf right-click menu? In case one gets jammed? Crowd control?

lol. Emergency exit in case of a crash. :wink:

Fixed, thanks.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 am 

winstep wrote:
Of course not, and it's by design. If your mouse pointer is over a tab that NOT the sticky tab, chances are that you are working on that particular tab. You definitely do NOT want the Shelf to automatically switch to the Sticky tab while you are working in another tab. :D

The idea is that it switches to the sticky tab only once your mouse pointer is 'off the Shelf' and/or after the Shelf has collapsed. This way, when you uncollapse the Shelf by quickly bumping the screen edge it is docked to, it will be displaying the sticky tab.

Yeah, ok, I can see how that makes sense. However, can we have an option to switch to the sticky tab immediately after it collapses?

***suggestion: you could call the 'uncollapse' by the very professional name "extrude" ^_^ ***

winstep wrote:
Now THAT is indeed not proper behavior (unless the pointer is still over the Shelf tabs, of course, in which case it is *still* behaving as designed). The problem is that I have tested it here (with the mouse pointer completely off the Shelf) and is working as it should. If I can't reproduce a bug, I can't fix it. :cry:

I'm on it... I'm still testing in various machines. I'll let you know as soon as I have something concrete.

winstep wrote:
lol. Emergency exit in case of a crash. :wink:

Fixed, thanks.

OMFG !!! ASSUME CRASH POSITIONS !!!

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 am 

Ok, while searching for the image to post, I thought of a few thingies regarding the sticky tab and the timer and all.

dot. If the shelf is always visible, then it does make sense to have a timer to switch to a predefined "sticky" tab.
dot. If the shelf is always visible and has a timer for the sticky tab, then it also makes sense to disable the timer when the mouse is hovering it.
dot. If the shelf is on autohide, then... the timer function has a conceptual problem.

See, most sane people will have a relatively short time until the shelf collapses, in which case there will be no time for the sticky tab to return, whilst the shelf is still visible. So, basically the timer is useless in that scenario... unless...

Suggestion time:
box. if the shelf is on autohide, the timer will/should work regardless of the mouse being over the shelf... because if it's not over the shelf, the shelf will be hidden.
box. if the shelf is on autohide, there should be an option to revert to the sticky tab "on hide", which is the 'critical' event of that particular way of operation
box. in both cases, some sort of shortcut for changing through the tabs would be most welcome, like the CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB of Firefox

This concludes our proposal. Thank you for listening, ladies and gentlemen. *bows*

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:
in both cases, some sort of shortcut for changing through the tabs would be most welcome, like the CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB of Firefox

You are a lucky silly boy - added. Of course, as with every other window, it will only work if the Shelf has the focus.

I'll get back to you on the other stuff you said after thinking about it a bit.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]