Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: How to remove space in Context Menu?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 pm 

Oh damn. Someone was on my computer and inadvertantly added a space in my Context Menu.

I tried to get rid of it by using the backup but it didn't work. I remember a long ago time this happened and if I remember correctly you said it can't be removed.

I'm hoping that since this is a much newer version that I will be able to remove it.

Post subject: Re: How to remove space in Context Menu?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Windy!

That's not a space, it's a menu item separator, and, as you said, it cannot be removed.

Some of the older themes (like Unlighted) did not support menu item separators - in that case separators would simply not be displayed on the menus.

However, it seems that someone changed the flag that specifies whether the theme supports separators or not. This was done either on the theme configuration files (Winstep\Themes\Unlighted\Unlighted.wst) or on the Windows registry.

What you need to do is edit the Unlighted.wst configuration file, look for the value 'SepEnabled' and set that to 'False'. Save the file then reload the theme and you should get rid of the blank spaces.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:31 pm 

Thanks I'll try that, but before I do I better let you see what I didn't notice until well after I posted. This is part of this issue.

I've never seen this before. What in the heck is that arrow that's attached to the folder? Maybe this will verify what they did to put the Separator there. I'm pretty sure that they didn't go into the Nexus or NextSTART settings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, you sound like a Winstep newbie, lol

That's the sub-dock indicator. Click on it (it will change color when you mouse over it).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy, you sound like a Winstep newbie, lol

That's the sub-dock indicator. Click on it (it will change color when you mouse over it).

I still am in some ways :lol: I searched the WorkShelf guide and found the instructions on how to delete the Subdock:

Deleting Docks

A dock and all its contents - including sub-docks - can be deleted by right clicking on the dock's control tile and selecting 'Delete Dock' from the context menu.

Alternatively, you can drag the dock's control icon and drop it into the Recycler Bin module.

I had to chose the latter because I didn't see a control tile to delete anything. I right-clicked on the Subdock but nothing happened. I also found that one of my docked folders was attached to the Subdock and dragged that back to the main dock. I don't remember, but I may have right-clicked on the Subdock AFTER I dragged the folder back. Not sure if this matters.

Judging from this new revelation, it appears to me that this issue happened because the person somehow dragged and clicked somewhere on the dock making this change not even realizing what they did.

One of my concerns is that after I dragged the arrow to my Recycle Bin the folder went along with it, and nothing showed in the Recycle Bin. I had to put another My Documents folder on the dock and change the icon back to the cool Winstep one. Is this normal?

winstep wrote:
However, it seems that someone changed the flag that specifies whether the theme supports separators or not. This was done either on the theme configuration files (Winstep\Themes\Unlighted\Unlighted.wst) or on the Windows registry.

What you need to do is edit the Unlighted.wst configuration file, look for the value 'SepEnabled' and set that to 'False'. Save the file then reload the theme and you should get rid of the blank spaces.

At first I tried to find it by looking in HKEY CURRENT USER, HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and HKEY_USERS but couldn't find it. I finally located 'SepEnabled' via a search within the registry, but it was already set to False. I didn't see how to save a file though.

So what now? :?

UPDATE: I happened to notice on Windows startup before Winstep populated and I could still see my Desktop icons, I saw the "vanishing" My Documents shortcut/folder. It was in the form of a Windows unrecognized file and I deleted it. Well, at least that issue is taken care of.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm 

winstep wrote:
look for the value 'SepEnabled' and set that to 'False'. Save the file then reload the theme and you should get rid of the blank spaces.

Hi Jorge. Can you please explain how to do this in more detail?

1. I don't quite understand what you mean by save the file. I don't know how to do that since the file is located in the Registry and where should I save it to It was already set to false.

2. When you say I should reload the theme, how do I do that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. Themes have configuration files and bitmaps. When you apply a new theme to Winstep Xtreme, the settings for that theme are retrieved from the configuration files. After that, they are stored in the Registry.

To know where these configuration files and bitmaps are, go to the Themes tab in Preferences and click on the 'Open Folder' button.

2. Re-loading a theme means switching to another theme, then switching back to the theme you were previously using. This forces a reload of that theme's settings from the theme configuration files I mentioned above.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:16 pm 

I reloaded the theme but no luck. :cry: Can whatever is causing the space be deleted?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]