Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Options/preferences for Nexus free disappearing.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:04 pm 

Hello! First I'd like to thank you for the awesome app, I just upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit and this program is the only thing I keep running on my desktop, it's very functional & looks super good in 1920x1080!

I have a question about the dock's options menu's though.. I can only see half of them, the other half shows a blank screen! This did not happen at first, but after a couple days of using it they were all blank.. I can confirm this happening on 3 different computers all with Windows 7 64-bit as well.

Besides this glitch I am completely satisfied with Winstep Nexus! Most options I have found are accessible through the contextual menus on the dock, though some require those blanked pages... Also an option to not save the icons in the dock and just the core preferences on the dock would be nice.. I saved my profile after originally making it, and then when loading it on my secondary computer I was greeted by a boatload of blank icons and graphical errors in the dock that made me uninstall it/reinstall it on my media center pc.

Any workaround for this? I searched the forum and didn't see anything, you'd think if it's happened to me on 3 separate computers that someone out there would have the same issue...

I am using the newest version downloaded from c-net.

Thank You! :D

Post subject: Re: Options/preferences for Nexus free disappearing.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean the dock's Preferences screens, not 'menus', I guess.

This will happen if comctl32.ocx (MS Common Controls) has not been installed correctly, or has not been registered correctly, for some reason.

Before we try to fix it (a re-install on top will probably do the trick, or you might have to use Regsvr32.exe) please make me a favor: look for comctl32.ocx in both C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWow64 and then report back the following:

1. Is it in any of those folders? Which? (The correct location in the 64bit version of Windows 7 for the comctrl32.ocx file would be the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder)

2. What version is it (right click the file to know)?

3. While you are at it, look for nextcontrols.ocx as well. Is it in System32 or SysWow64?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 am 

winstep wrote:
You mean the dock's Preferences screens, not 'menus', I guess.

Yes.

winstep wrote:
Before we try to fix it (a re-install on top will probably do the trick, or you might have to use Regsvr32.exe) please make me a favor: look for comctl32.ocx in both C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWow64 and then report back the following:

1. Is it in any of those folders? Which? (The correct location in the 64bit version of Windows 7 for the comctrl32.ocx file would be the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder)

2. What version is it (right click the file to know)?

3. While you are at it, look for nextcontrols.ocx as well. Is it in System32 or SysWow64?

1. comctl32.ocx is located in both system32 & SysWow64 folders.

2. system32 comctl32.ocx is file version 6.0.81.5 dated 9/28/2010 11:06pm

SysWOW64 comctl32.ocx (you reference a comctrl32.ocx, which is not in the folder and I assume you meant comctl32.ocx) does not show a file version and is dated 3/24/2009 11:52am

3. nextcontrols.ocx is only in the SysWOW64 folder and is version 1.0.0.151 dated 2/5/2008 3:36pm

Thank you for the speedy reply and the assistance! You may soon have a Nexus Ultimate customer here too as I am quickly filling the one dock I have setup and am thinking about making a separate one for games, the functionality of the free one is great though!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, try this:

1. Exit all running Winstep applications.
2. Delete both versions of Comctl32.ocx
3. Run the Nexus setup program again.

Comctl32.ocx is supposed to be in SysWoW64 on 64 bit systems. I think the 'rogue' Comctl32.ocx, the one that doesn't have a file version, was already there and borked the whole thing.

Don't forget to let me know how it turned out, please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm 

Thank you, I can access all of the preference screens now.

I re-ran the setup installer and chose to overwrite everything when prompted, worried that it might override the customization I had made up until now, but to my delight it not only fixed the issue, but my dock bar is intact exactly as I had it before.

comctl32.ocx only resides in the syswow64 folder now and is version 6.0.81.5, dated 5/22/2000 6:58pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]