Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Simple skinning question (I think) - Nexus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:01 am 

Ok, I'm not quite getting the offset/border entries in the background.ini. Trying to do a textures background, and I think I already have the answer that I was trying to avoid, but to make the texture not stretch into some ugly mess, do I just have to make a wider png? I originally made one with these dimensions: 390 X 95 and the ini settings
Code:
BottomHeight = 45
RightWidth = 125
LeftWidth = 115
OutsideBorderLeft = 45
OutsideBorderRight = 45
OutsideBorderTop = 1
OutsideBorderBottom  = 20

It looked ok but I had to put the legs on either side of the "icon area" so as not to stretch them out funny. After seeing a couple different samples on one of the skinning sites I decided to just go with a 780 X 95 image (my resolution is at 1280 X 1028). That looked much better (see attached), but that brings me the question of needing multiple files per resolution type. Just messing around right now but wanted to see if there's some magic trick that I'm missing.

A second question as well is how would that integrate into a Xtreme theme? I couldn't get a random theme to use the Nexus dock without going into Nexus settings after I set the theme.

Attachments:
bg2.png
bg2.png [ 42.93 KiB | Viewed 7311 times ]

Post subject: Re: Simple skinning question (I think) - Nexus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you are probably aware, Winstep applications have their own native theme format. In addition, Nexus is also compatible with themes for 3rd party docks.

What you are editing in there is a configuration file for a 3rd party dock.

Under Winstep Xtreme, the Themes page in WorkShelf Preferences will only show native Winstep themes. To show all themes for Nexus, including 3rd party themes, and have them applied to all your docks at the same time, you need to change the combo box from 'WorkShelf (All Items)' to 'Nexus'.

Before the great UI change of last year, Preferences had complete settings for making native Winstep themes. This was removed to simplify the UI and reduce 'clutter', since most users will simply use existing themes. Currently those missing settings are in the process of being added to a dedicated 'Winstep Theme Builder' application.

As for the INI settings you mentioned above, the devs of 3rd party docks (unlike Winstep) never bothered documenting their skinning format, so there is no official 'Guide', even though most settings are pretty intuitive.

On the other hand, you are trying to fit a '3D' dock into a '2D' space - that always ends in tears :wink: , as it only works if the overal proportion is respected, something that will not always be true due to different icon sizes, reflection sizes, and spacing between icons.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Simple skinning question (I think) - Nexus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:05 am 

Yea, figured the ini file was an obsolete method just from everything else I've seen, unfortunately that was the only way I could figure out since it seemed all used that method or the nxs file which I don't know all the syntax for (or any really :mrgreen: )

Sigh...guess I'll wait, I'd rather have the clean interface anyways (the old user guide had some scary screenshots :wink: ) thanks lol

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]