Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: removing desktop icons after moving them to doc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:48 pm 

I just downloaded the free version, and am attempting to move the files and URL's from my desktop to Nexus Doc. I can move them into the doc, but the original icon stays on the desktop. If I try to delete the desktop icon it deletes the file from the doc icon. How do I get rid of the desktop icon after I move them to the doc.

I'm sure it's a rookie issue.

Post subject: Re: removing desktop icons after moving them to doc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:46 pm 

You're making a shortcut of a shortcut. Try "moving" the target of the desktop link onto the dock instead.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Assuming you are talking about the dock here, and not the Shelf (tabbed dock), then this is likely what's happening:

You have to make a distinction between *shortcuts* to files, and the actual files. This works for both Windows and the dock, i.e.; if you delete a shortcut to a file, the original file is not affected. However, if you delete the file itself, then it is obviously gone, and any and all shortcuts to that file will stop working as well.

The Nexus dock *always* stores shortcuts to files, not the files themselves.

Shortcut icons in Windows usually have a little arrow identifying them as shortcuts, however these arrows do not appear on the icons in the dock because, by definition, *all* icons in the dock are shortcuts to the actual files.

So, if you save a *file* (say, a Word document) to your Desktop and then drag it into the dock, the dock simply creates a shortcut (pointer) to the real Word file which is still in your Desktop. If you then delete the Word file from your Desktop, the shortcut in the dock will stop working too, as the actual file no longer exists.

On the other hand, if you have a shortcut to a file (that file being stored somewhere else in your hard drive) in your Desktop and then drag this shortcut into the dock, the dock will create a shortcut to the original file (e.g.; NOT a shortcut to the shorcut in your Desktop). This way, if you delete the original shortcut from the Desktop, the one in the dock still works because the file itself has not been deleted, only the shortcut to it on the Desktop.

Understanding the difference between shortcuts and the files themselves should help you figure out what is happening and how to solve it. The solution lies in saving or moving those files from the Desktop into a different folder in your hard drive (say, My Documents) and then dragging them from there to the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skagon wrote:
You're making a shortcut of a shortcut. Try "moving" the target of the desktop link onto the dock instead.

Actually, he is not. The dock automatically resolves shortcuts dragged into it so the icons in the dock point to the actual target files.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:14 pm 

winstep wrote:
Actually, he is not. The dock automatically resolves shortcuts dragged into it so the icons in the dock point to the actual target files.

I agree, Nexus resolves shortcuts. However, since the dock object vanishes when he deletes the shortcut from the desktop, that means that somehow, he created a dock object of that shortcut, i.e. the resolution didn't quite work... that is my logical breakdown of what happened.
Logic suggests that, if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
_\\//

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He didn't say it vanishes, just that 'it deletes the file from the dock icon'. Since Nexus resolves shortcuts, this probably means the icon is still there but doesn't work anymore.

Unless he isn't using Nexus free but Nexus Ultimate, and he is talking about the Desktop tab in the Shelf and not a dock, of course. That then would be something else.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 pm 

winstep wrote:
He didn't say it vanishes, just that 'it deletes the file from the dock icon'. Since Nexus resolves shortcuts, this probably means the icon is still there but doesn't work anymore.

Unless he isn't using Nexus free but Nexus Ultimate, and he is talking about the Desktop tab in the Shelf and not a dock, of course. That then would be something else.

True... that was my interpretation of "it deletes the file from the dock icon", which can mean any number of things.
I guess we'll have to wait for clarification.
Could it be an issue of those weird-ass shortcuts that Microsoft and some other software makers use, which isn't a shortcut but a pointer to a registry key?

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:29 pm 

I'm using the Nexus Free version.

I'm unsure when you refer to a "shelf". The files I'm attempting to use in my Nexus dock were files that were originally saved to the desktop. There is no "move" option, but there is "send". I tried adding the file to the dock by right clicking in the dock and adding it that way, as well as dragging it, and no matter what the original desktop icon stays on the desktop. I even attempted to save the file to my documents, but again when I right click on the desktop icon of the file and attempt to delete, it gets rid of the entire file and it cannot be accessed with the Nexus dock icon that remains there.

Sorry for any confusion but I'm not quite up to speed with these things and really appreciate your assistance.

Dave
winstep wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I said, you need to learn the difference between shortcuts and the actual files. That is critical even to the way you operate with Windows.

The dock is a 'shortcut' container, but not in the sense of a Windows folder, where moving a file or a shortcut will remove it from the original location and place it in the new location. That is not what docks do. As such, NOTHING you ever drag to the dock will ever disappear from the original location, which is why you say 'no matter what the original desktop icon stays on the desktop'.

A dock is NOT a folder. It doesn't store files, only pointers to files, which *must* exist somewhere else on your hard drive.

Now look at the icon *on the desktop* of the file you are trying to move to the dock. Does it have the little Windows shortcut arrow overlapping the icon? If so, it's safe to delete the shortcut from the Desktop after dropping it into the dock. If not, then what you are manipulating is an actual file and deleting it from the Destkop will remove all traces of it from your PC. The shortcut in the dock will then be left referencing a file on your desktop that no longer exists because you deleted it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm 

MBGTOWN, I think you missed something Jorge said. I remember when I first started learning about computers I had the same problem figuring out the difference between a file on the Desktop and a shortcut.

Since it is definitely a file according to your statement
mbgtown wrote:
I'm using the Nexus Free version. The files I'm attempting to use in my Nexus dock were files that were originally saved to the desktop.

you need to:

A. If there isn't a My Documents on your Desktop, click on Start then open My Documents, drag the file in there, and then drag the file to the Dock. The file will no longer be on your Desktop. Or,

B. If you have a My Documents folder (shortcut) on the Desktop, simply drag the file into it and the file will no longer be on your Desktop but in My Documents.

Open the My Documents folder on the Desktop and then drag the file to the Dock.

BTW, if for some reason in the future you want to place a shortcut on the Desktop, just right-click on the file in My Documents -> Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut).

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]