Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Improve load time for Xtreme
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:45 pm 

The Winstep Xtreme load time has always seem slow to me. Any tips on how to peed up the desktop? :(

Post subject: Re: Improve load time for Xtreme
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 am 

It will "load faster" if you load it by itself after boot instead of at boot. Everything is competing to load at boot. (That's true of anything, it's just that WinStep is so visible.)
The fewer shortcuts, docks, modules that you use, the faster it will load. In other words, if you have a lot of things included that you really don't use, you can remove (or close) them to speed things up a dash.
Have your icons on your faster drive if applicable. Don't want to load them from a network or external drive for example. If you do have a 2nd internal drive, might help to load them from the drive other than C: (assuming C: is the windows o/s and swap file drive).
This is all pretty general stuff. Somebody else might have more specific ideas. I haven't come across anything in particular.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What he said. :D

Very nice answer indeed, might even put that on the FAQ, if you don't mind. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:29 am 

Excellent idea. You are perfectly right about the boot time "overload"
I'll try it next time I boot to Windwos (I have a multiboot system aand am now in Slackware). I might also setup a VM and install Windows 7 (I have a Technet subscription). Then add Xtreme.

Marty

Marty

Dhurwood wrote:
It will "load faster" if you load it by itself after boot instead of at boot. Everything is competing to load at boot. (That's true of anything, it's just that WinStep is so visible.)
The fewer shortcuts, docks, modules that you use, the faster it will load. In other words, if you have a lot of things included that you really don't use, you can remove (or close) them to speed things up a dash.
Have your icons on your faster drive if applicable. Don't want to load them from a network or external drive for example. If you do have a 2nd internal drive, might help to load them from the drive other than C: (assuming C: is the windows o/s and swap file drive).
This is all pretty general stuff. Somebody else might have more specific ideas. I haven't come across anything in particular.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:20 pm 

winstep wrote:
What he said. :D

Very nice answer indeed, might even put that on the FAQ, if you don't mind. :D

Why, thank you sir. :) Of course I wouldn't mind, I'd be flattered. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]