Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: WorkShelf vs NextStart Backup Usage
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:53 pm 

Jorge, please explain the usage/difference of saving the configuration settings in WorkShelf and NextStart.

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago but haven't had the opportunity to address it or install the new version because I've been a bit busy lately some health issues with my parents.

I remember saving settings in NextStart. To test it out, I changed the configuration and then used the backup feature in NextStart but it didn't quite work out. The settings only changed a couple of things to what it was and the rest overrode my themes to something else.

I then tried to get the configuration back to what it was before, using the backup from WorkShelf, but it didn't work out either, so I had to start from scratch. What did I do wrong and what is the correct way to use the backup for
WorkShelf and NextStart?

I'm guessing the problem may have been exacerbated by the commingled themes that I'm using.

1. I'm using Serenity for my Desktop and WorkShelf theme,

2. Unlighted theme for my Context Menu,

3. Atmospherica theme for the Dock on the left,

4. Leopard Theme for the Dock on the bottom,

5. and recently saved two different configurations with the above the same but

6. at the time I tested this out installed Eminence theme and I'm using it for one of the Desktop Modules on the right. The theme for the other modules is K-TEK 4D.

7. The other old configuration has a combination of at least two different themes for the Desktop Modules. I forgot which two or three they are. I could check by using backup but don't want to fool with it since it isn't necessary at the moment.

BTW, for the time being, I'm using the WorkShelf menu as the master backup since I don't understand what the NextStart one is for exactly.

P.S. Edited number 6. Forgot to add the name of the other Theme.

Last edited by Windy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: WorkShelf vs NextStart Backup Usage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'll have to keep in mind that although NextSTART and WorkShelf are part of the same suite (Winstep Xtreme), they are different applications and can be run individually if that is what the user wants.

Therefore, when you backup NextSTART settings, you are NOT backing up WorkShelf settings. Likewise for WorkShelf.

NextSTART is responsible for the menus, NextSTART taskbar, and hotspots.

WorkShelf is responsible for docks, the Shelf, and desktop modules.

To backup everything, you must actually backup NextSTART and WorkShelf separately. Likewise for Restoring everything.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: WorkShelf vs NextStart Backup Usage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm 

Awesome explanation!! I'm going to copy and paste your reply and save it to my computer for future reference.

Now that I think about it, you should add exactly what you wrote here to the instruction manual. The explanation is concise and simple to understand and will be definitely appreciated by users of your excellent program.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]