Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Potential Winstep User - Some General Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:28 am 

Hello there all,

After being burned by Stardock's Object Dock Plus v2, a few people recommended Nexus to me. I'm hoping a dev can answer a few questions for me before I pull the trigger?

1. Can sub-docks be set to open on mouse-over? I know you guys had discussed this feature earlier but don't know if you've implemented it yet.

2. Does Nexus have any known troubles specific to W7 x64?

3. Do programs in the dock maintain their normal shell functions? For example, if I drag my computer to the dock, can I right-click on it to see the properties option (so I can access device manager easily)

4. Is there any way to turn off Nexus's auto-update features permanently? I could just block the whole program obviously, but that would break other online features I want (e.g., weather docklet). I've noticed Nexus Free is constantly trying to access the internet to fetch updates, despite my attempts to turn of all auto-updates.

5. I accept that you guys can protect your product anyhow you want. At the same time, I prefer that apps do not try to talk on the network without my explicit consent. Once I activate it, is it going to try to authenticate each startup or each launch? I'd like to put it under a packet-monitor to see for myself, but I obviously don't have the full version to test. Could you enlighten me?

6. Does the EULA allow this to be installed on 2 comps using the same license? I've got a desktop and a laptop.

7. Do you offer any kind of demo or trial so I can actually see how the software works before I buy it? If no, what is your return policy?

It was a bit long-winded, but I wish I had asked these specific questions before buying Object Dock. I didn't, and now I've got to go through Stardock's runaround before I can get my money back :(

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks and cheers!

-Faraway

Post subject: Re: Potential Winstep User - Some General Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

faraway64d wrote:
Hello there all,

After being burned by Stardock's Object Dock Plus v2, a few people recommended Nexus to me. I'm hoping a dev can answer a few questions for me before I pull the trigger?

1. Can sub-docks be set to open on mouse-over? I know you guys had discussed this feature earlier but don't know if you've implemented it yet.
Yes, they can be. It is already implemented ;)
Quote:

2. Does Nexus have any known troubles specific to W7 x64?
Not really as far as I can see.
Quote:
3. Do programs in the dock maintain their normal shell functions? For example, if I drag my computer to the dock, can I right-click on it to see the properties option (so I can access device manager easily)
As far as I am aware, you can. It is basically the same right-click menu as in Windows Explorer, with a couple additions to improve dock/shelf experience.
Quote:

4. Is there any way to turn off Nexus's auto-update features permanently? I could just block the whole program obviously, but that would break other online features I want (e.g., weather docklet). I've noticed Nexus Free is constantly trying to access the internet to fetch updates, despite my attempts to turn of all auto-updates.
In the settings, have you disabled "Notify me when there are updates available" and "Notify me of beta (test) versions" and "Notify me of language updates" as well as enabling "Prompt me before checking for new update"?
Quote:

5. I accept that you guys can protect your product anyhow you want. At the same time, I prefer that apps do not try to talk on the network without my explicit consent. Once I activate it, is it going to try to authenticate each startup or each launch? I'd like to put it under a packet-monitor to see for myself, but I obviously don't have the full version to test. Could you enlighten me?
Can't answer this one, I simply don't know. My guess is that it only checks when it checks for updates, the remaining protection is checking for tampered files.
Quote:

6. Does the EULA allow this to be installed on 2 comps using the same license? I've got a desktop and a laptop.
If only you use both of them, then you can do so freely.
Quote:

7. Do you offer any kind of demo or trial so I can actually see how the software works before I buy it? If no, what is your return policy?
The Winstep product page. If you feel the need to test out the full version of Nexus, you should try Winstep Xtreme instead. Disable NextStart and you basically have Nexus Ultimate.
Quote:

It was a bit long-winded, but I wish I had asked these specific questions before buying Object Dock. I didn't, and now I've got to go through Stardock's runaround before I can get my money back :(

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks and cheers!

-Faraway

You're welcome!

Post subject: Re: Potential Winstep User - Some General Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

faraway64d wrote:
I accept that you guys can protect your product anyhow you want. At the same time, I prefer that apps do not try to talk on the network without my explicit consent. Once I activate it, is it going to try to authenticate each startup or each launch? I'd like to put it under a packet-monitor to see for myself, but I obviously don't have the full version to test. Could you enlighten me?

Hey. :D

I obviously can't - and won't - discuss software protection mechanisms in detail, but I'll state the following:

Is any personal data sent? No. Does it interfere with your ability to run the application if you are not connected to the Internet? No. Is the protection tied in any way to the hardware you're running? No.

I'm a firm believer that anti-piracy mechanisms should not inconvenience the legit user and be as transparent as possible: been bitten by Windows activation before when changing hardware on my PC and I hated the whole experience.

On the other hand, as you admitted yourself, companies have the right to protect their software - within limits, of course.

In the end, as with all relationships, it all comes down to trust: you either trust the company you are installing software from, or you don't. If you don't, then don't install their software. In some cases, as it happens with people, you must make a 'leap of faith', based on that company's/person's reputation.

In my personal opinion, I think people should worry if the application does what they want rather than worrying about how it protects itself - provided it doesn't make them go through hoops to remain registered, which Winstep software certainly doesn't.

Disabling automatic updates (the check is performed by WsUpdate.exe, so, besides disabling updates, you can also block that on your firewall) is also a little bit like shooting yourself in the foot, as Winstep is very prolific in improving its software and you should take advantage of that. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]