Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Ns freezing
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:22 pm 

Hi Jorge,

NS was giving some very odd behavior this weekend that I thought i would tell you about (not that you don't already have enough on your plate :D)

I have a wireless network at home, but no internet access (costs waaayyy tooo much !) Anyway, I have a wireless router on my desktop that acts as a DHCP server for my home LAN. My laptop connects using a PCMCIA card. Now, when I am connected and start WSX, everything seems to load properly, but NS stops responding once the theme is loaded. If I wait 3-4 minutes, it starts working again. If, during this time, I pop out my net card, NS resumes operation instantly. If I then reinsert my netcard and log on to the network, NS is fine. If I then go and change themes, NS freezes again. Removing the net card fixes this.

I tried playing with a bunch of NS "internet related" settings, like alternate detection, wait for connection or not etc... and the same behavior is seen. I did not notice any issues with workshelf.

This morning, at work, I connected to the network (and to the internet, recall, I do not have internet access at home) and everything was fine.

Is NS "waiting" for something that I cannot provide at home? Since I get an IP address from my router, does NS "think" that the internet is available and hence is looking for something?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The delay is obviously related to some 4 minute time out. That it only happens when you change themes (or when the theme is initially applied), well... hmmm... Are you using Hotspot buttons?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:40 pm 

Yeah.... Call me silly, but how do HS buttons and networks relate to each other? Maybe they don't and I am barking up the wrong tree :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you change a theme, Hotspot buttons are re-painted. If the target or icon of one of them has *something* to do with a non-existing network, you could get the 4 minute delay. Just a theory, anyway - could also be the items on your Quick Launch bar. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]