Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: drag and drop
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 pm 

is it possible to drag and drop (files) into open applications (or closed and with this action to open them).
For example: I would like to drop some photo files to photoshop, normally (tru windows 7 taskbar) I would just select those files in explorer and drag them to PS icon (open program, but minimised) on the taskbar and that would trigger PS to open (maximise) and then I would just drop the files into PS and work from then on...
From what I tried that isn't possible with nexus or am I missing something?

thanks for help in advance

Post subject: Re: drag and drop
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's perfectly possible, but how you do it depends on whether you are talking about a normal shortcut on the dock *or* an application icon on the running applications section of the dock.

When you enable 'Show running applications on this dock', the dock is divided into two parts: the left part holds your normal shortcuts, the right your list of running applications.

Dropping a document onto a shortcut in the dock (left side) will launch that shortcut with the document you dropped as an argument (i.e.; it will attempt to open the document in that application). For instance, drop a JPG image into the Photoshop shortcut in the dock and Photoshop will open with that image loaded.

What happens when you drag a document over the right side of the dock (running applications list) depends on whether you have live window thumbnails enabled or not.

If you do, you must wait for the thumbnail to open and then drag the document over the thumbnail. A moment later that window will be brought to the foreground.

If thumbnails are disabled, what happens depends on whether you have 'grouping' enabled for running applications or not. If you don't, then dragging and holding the document over any of the icons in the right side of the dock will do, if not, what happens depends on whether you are dragging the document over a single instance icon or a grouped multi-instance icon (those will have a little number showing the number of instances grouped into that icon).

In the first case, holding the document over the single instance icon will bring that instance to the foreground, just like it happens when running applications are not grouped. In the second case, it will open a menu showing all the instances grouped into that multi-instance icon. You can then drag the document over one of the menu entries to bring the associated window to the foreground.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:10 pm 

Ohh... thanks for so much input and to explain how it works...
It's a little annoying because you have to wait like 2 seconds to bring up the window to where you want to drop the files (if doing via running applications).
If working via pinned app icons it's instant.. which is OK for all applications except windows explorer, where you need more windows of the same app.
Is it possible to include only win. explorer in "show running applications"?
+ is there any calendar app?

thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:42 pm 

"Is it possible to include only win. explorer in "show running applications"?"
it is, just found out (via exclusion list...)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]