Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: issues and bugs
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 pm 

Hello!
I have some issue with winstep:

1. different versions of the same application (with the same file name but from different location - for example Flash CS3 -> Flash CS4) share the same icons in the list of opened apps, what makes hard to find the correct application.

2. from winstep I cannot open different versions of an application at the same time, because if there is an opened one, the other won't open, because winstep dock think it is already opened.

3. if I check prevent maximized windows, from overlaping the dock,
there are cases, when maximized windows behave weird: start jumping on its bottom part as if there's some problem about the place to be reserved.
(like when I open a new application, and the size of the dock changes in realtime)

It would be good some sort of variable what we could set.
Like: Reserve xxxx px from the maximized workspace to the winstep dock.

4. system tray icons are ugly when resized, an option would be good:
not to resize system tray icons.

5. recycle bin icon doesn't refresh itself.
6. flare animation doesn't catch "roll out", when I leave an icon
for its browser-floating menu. it won't stop until the mouse goes over the dock again.

but after all winstep is ever the best!

Post subject: Re: issues and bugs
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. How is that different from, say, the Windows 7 taskbar? I don't have different versions of the same application to compare here, which is why I'm asking. I doubt many people have either.

Anyway, one thing you can try doing, assuming the caption of the windows is different (e.g.; one says Flash CS3 the other Flash CS4), is to use Task Icon Customization to assign different icons to the different versions (use 'Match by window title (partial match)').

2. In the Windows world, it's applications that determine whether they allow multiple instances of themselves to be launched or not.

The 'Do not launch multiple sessions' setting in Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Misc.Advanced is used to override this behavior, but it can only force running single instances, not the other way around.

In this particular case, I think you need to disable that setting, since, different version or not, technically it is still the same application you are trying to launch.

The decision to launch a new instance or bring forward an existent one is currently done by comparing the executable name, throwing away (not taking into account) the actual path. I will however look into this further to see if that is indeed the right choice.

3. Well spotted. This only happens when the dock needs to automatically scale down the size of the icons in order to make sure the dock fits on the screen.

I suppose screen space could be reserved based on what the size of the icons would be if the dock had not been forced to scale down.

4. Well, Windows only provides 16x16 system tray icons, so that is what Nexus has to work with.

In Nexus Ultimate and Xtreme there will be an option to customize tray icons in much the same way you can now customize the icons of running applications.

What you can do right now is 'group' the tray icons (see Effects tab in Preferences for v11.2), which has the added advantage of making them take much less space on the dock.

5. Yes it does. :-P

Steps to reproduce?

6. Gotcha.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:03 pm 

Thank you.

Quote:
1. How is that different from, say, the Windows 7 taskbar? I don't have different versions of the same application to compare here, which is why I'm asking. I doubt many people have either.

I am working as a graphic designer, and I recently use different versions of the same graphic application by the reason of compatibility issues, and because I'm usually working in teams where not everyone has the same version of the software. (sometimes 1-2 version difference matters)

The windows 7 taskbar doesn't produce this issue.
But to tell the true, i have a workaround now:

if I open the context menu of the application icon,
and then click on <Open>, it will open the correct version
of the application.

Sorry for my post title, maybe it is more likely some kind of feature request from me, and not a kind of complaining. Nexus is the best dock ever.
And thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kenich11 wrote:
The windows 7 taskbar doesn't produce this issue.

Could you please post a screenshot with both the Windows 7 taskbar icons and the Nexus icons for those different versions visible? Just want to confirm something. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 pm 

: )

when I applied a custom icon on the running flash cs4 version it changed the flash cs5 running app. icon too at the same time.

when I click on one of the icon, it maximized the version next in the tasklist of win7 (i guess) - i mean: cs4, cs5, cs4, cs5 ...

Attachments:
Capture_desktop_win7_nexus.JPG
Capture_desktop_win7_nexus.JPG [ 91.92 KiB | Viewed 19405 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kenich11 wrote:
when I applied a custom icon on the running flash cs4 version it changed the flash cs5 running app. icon too at the same time.

Thanks for the screenshot, but now I am confused: the screenshot is before applying the custom icon, right? What icon size are you using on the dock?

Also, did you use match by executable name or window caption, as I suggested you did (which will only work, of course, if the captions are different between versions, e.g.; one says 'Flash CS4' the other 'Flash CS3')?

Something else I noticed is that grouped system tray icons on magnifying docks were not as 'sharp' as the original icons when the dock was not being magnified. I fixed this too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:52 am 

the screenshot is right after I applied the custom icons for running instances. on the right side they are visible. it is only with the running application icons.

match by application name ->

The problem is, that both the flash cs5 and flash cs4
use the same application name: Flash.exe

I tried Match by window title but flash CS5 window title only contains the
actually opened file name (in flash), what is variable.

the icon size is 32 px.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kenich11 wrote:
the icon size is 32 px.

Magnifying or non-magnifying dock? I'm asking this because in Preferences -> Tasks -> Advanced there is a setting to 'Show application icons for sizes over 32x32'. If you turn that off, it will display the window icon instead of the executable icon for magnifying docks or docks with icon sizes above 32x32.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:36 pm 

No. there are no effects on the dock at all. at the moment.

However I changed the icon size to 34 and 35 and tried with checked and unchecked 'Show application icons for sizes over 32x32' setting,
and You're right!

the application icons appear,
but only if there are no custom icons, otherways there is higher priority for the custom icons.

So in this case the icons cannot be
customized, but this works.

Any attempt for customizing one of the icons will change both icons.
Because nexus creates only one rule for both exe files.

I tried a workaround, but failed: created a name rule for Flash CS4 (because it is containing 'Flash CS4' in the window name.
But the CS5 window name doesn't contain constans parts, so I had to create
an executable name rule, and it overrided the other rule,
so both icons got the CS5 icon.

A workaround if I customize only the Flash CS4 icon.

But in a practical point of view, with iconsize of 33 px.
the problem is solved now.

(But there is a little problem: from iconsize over 33 px the clock module
text appears in a buggy way)
Attachment:
clock.JPG
clock.JPG [ 18.34 KiB | Viewed 19379 times ]

(But I don't want to alter from the post-starter questions.
So it's a minor issue and related to a module)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kenich11 wrote:
(But there is a little problem: from iconsize over 33 px the clock module text appears in a buggy way)

That's been fixed in the next release. The digital clock will appear as it should at any size, instead of how you had it before where only the text was visible (and how it is now, yuck, lol).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:53 pm 

Quote:
In Nexus Ultimate and Xtreme there will be an option to customize tray icons in much the same way you can now customize the icons of running applications.

I'm not finding this. (Of course, I'm probably looking right at it and not seeing it...just like the mustard in the fridge...my wife hates that! :D ) Could you tell me where that is found? I am running the trial of Xtreme, though is suspect I will end up purchasing Ultimate.

Thanks!
Rex
...a newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

N2theSon wrote:
Quote:

I'm not finding this.

Well, you aren't because, if you look at that phrase closely, you'll notice it says 'in the future'... So you won't find that in v11.2. However, v11.5 is going to be released soon (it's currently being beta tested), and guess what one of the new features is? I'll give you a clue: :wink:

See? I always keep my word. Might take a while sometimes, though. :wink:

As a bonus, I'm also including a screenshot of the new Teleport effect and the new 'Gauge' style for the CPU, RAM, and Net meter modules:

Oh, and did you notice in that screenshot that in v11.5 you can also mix other dock mouse over effects with the Magnify effect? :wink:

You'll love the new Digital Clock module style too:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:22 am 

winstep wrote:
Well, you aren't because, if you look at that phrase closely, you'll notice it says 'in the future'... So you won't find that in v11.2. However, v11.5 is going to be released soon (it's currently being beta tested), and guess what one of the new features is?

I had a feeling that might be the case, but I also thought it could be interpreted as...

Present: He's using the free version.

Future: He upgrades to Ultimate/Xtreme.

Any idea when 11.5 might be ready for prime time?

BTW...your English is excellent...outstanding, even. Better than most Americans. If I hadn't known you were Portuguese, I never would have guessed from reading you. How did you master our language so thoroughly?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

N2theSon wrote:
I had a feeling that might be the case, but I also thought it could be interpreted as...

Present: He's using the free version.

Future: He upgrades to Ultimate/Xtreme.

Oh, I did forget to mention that the ability to customize system tray icons will only be present in Nexus Ultimate/Xtreme, and not on the free version of Nexus.

N2theSon wrote:
Any idea when 11.5 might be ready for prime time?

Very soon now. :D

N2theSon wrote:
BTW...your English is excellent...outstanding, even. Better than most Americans. If I hadn't known you were Portuguese, I never would have guessed from reading you. How did you master our language so thoroughly?

Oh, Eye spiak vairy god Englesh. Tanq iou veri naice! :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:57 pm 

Quote:
Oh, I did forget to mention that the ability to customize system tray icons will only be present in Nexus Ultimate/Xtreme, and not on the free version of Nexus.

Hm. :(
I've tried the Ultimate version of Nexus, but I am still using the free version of Nexus, because the way Ultimate version handles subdocks is very annoying.
we "can" create subdock for even program items too.
It can be very confusing.

I couldn't drag an item into the recycler, because a submenu for the recycler had been created when I'd tried.
The little arrows are ugly and are jumping around the icons,
it is hard not to confuse subdocks accidentally .

a solution would be good what prevents dragging icons out of the dock accidentally.
because whenever the dock is unlocked and i move an icon accidentally just a little, it disappears.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next