Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Couple of Questions,
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:40 pm 

Hi, I have migrate from stardock object dock to yours since there software causes inestabilty across 3D Softwares such as Maxon and Autodesk, and yours till now has not shown any problems.

The UI seems very friendly but has a lot of things, I have manage to set my docks almost as I had them before, but I can´t seem to find the option to lock all my docks position, were is this option ? As i have many dock and shelfs I don´t want by accident to move them while trying to open a shortcut, and also because it seems every time I hit the apply buttom, all my docks position resets :S and go crazy...I would appreciate the help thnx...

Post subject: Re: Couple of Questions,
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 pm 

And how can I create more than one shelf ? cant find the option to create another one, thnx in advance.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:29 pm 

Also, how can I change the Icons on Winstep without hving to change the original icons from windows ?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:20 pm 

Also another issue i have seen is that system tray icons are not shown in real time as in object dock, for example GenieTimeline pro, when backing up it spins, and in the Winstep dock the icon is not show spinning smoothly but more in a time lapse mode....

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sephirox wrote:
The UI seems very friendly but has a lot of things, I have manage to set my docks almost as I had them before, but I can´t seem to find the option to lock all my docks position, were is this option ?

Right click the Nexus Control Icon -> Screen Position -> Lock Position.

Sephirox wrote:
And how can I create more than one shelf ? cant find the option to create another one, thnx in advance.

Currently Nexus only supports a single Shelf. Things will change in the future, of course.

Sephirox wrote:
Also, how can I change the Icons on Winstep without hving to change the original icons from windows ?

For docks, the easiest way is to just drop an ICO, PNG or TIF file into the shortcut in the dock. For the Shelf, you can do the same for shortcuts in 'regular' tabs (but not in special tabs such as the Desktop, Control Panel, etc, since those tabs are 'windows' to the real thing).

Sephirox wrote:
Also another issue i have seen is that system tray icons are not shown in real time as in object dock, for example GenieTimeline pro, when backing up it spins, and in the Winstep dock the icon is not show spinning smoothly but more in a time lapse mode....

Yeah, I was just now working on the tray icons and happened to notice that. Should be fixed in the next release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:50 am 

Perfect, then on the 25th day I will buy this :D, I will still see if it works with all my apps but till now I Lov this app, thnx a lot...and looking forward to more shelfs and the system icons fix, ;)...

I have lock all my docks, would be nice also to see a lock option on shelves, as by mistake i have rezize the shelve 2 times now, a lock option wich prevets from reizing would be nice...

Thnx a lot, :)

EDIT: Also there seems to be a small separation on the shelves when it appears on the top edge, is there anyway to get rid of that separation?

EDIT 2: There seems to be a small space just before the first icon on the shelve, is therw a way i can remove that ?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:08 pm 

Btw any specific date of when will it support 2 shelves, as I read a post over a year old and still is not available...And the fix for the sys tray also...?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Patience, grasshopper, the world was not built in a day. :wink:

Go read the history files to see how much is accomplished between versions. Some things are easier to add/fix or have higher priority, others are important but also a lot more complicated (e.g.; multiple shelves, as it requires changing internal structures), so they're pushed back a bit.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 pm 

Thnx, for the fast reply, and yea I just read hat this app gets updated quite often, I am really really happy till now, and I have found wa more features than objectdock...This app is just oncredible, and 100% stable till now just had one crash but I stil don´t now if it was the app itself or another program.

:D Thnx a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just added an optional 'gauge' style (instead of the normal Histogram) to the in-dock and Shelf CPU, Net and RAM meters (check image below) and am now going to look at the systray refresh frequency issue you mentioned.

Ah, and the needles in the meters below accelerate and decelerate really smoothly, they don't just 'jump' from one position to the other. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:53 pm 

Thats awesome, you just add that...I am hitting the update buttom and says there are no updates or you telling me you add that in the past days?...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lol Finished adding that *today*. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I had a look at the system tray refresh rate issue.

Thing is, by default the system tray is refreshed once a second, which is fine when not dealing with animated system tray icons.

Since there is no mechanism for the application to be notified when changes happen to the icons in the Windows system tray, content changes must be polled. Obviously, the more frequently you poll, the more you use the CPU.

So, in order not to penalize users who don't care about how fast animated system tray icons update, I added a setting that turns on high speed polling of the system tray to the Performance Settings dialog in the Advanced tab of Preferences. Turn that on and the system tray is polled and refreshed once every 60 ms (about 16 times a second).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:48 am 

Thnx, I´ll wait for the updates to be release :D and try them...Thnx a lot

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 pm 

Also a option to lock shelve size would be awesome....

And thats it for me :D, going to buy this by 2morrow i just cant wait.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next