Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: resize next star taskbar
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:45 pm 

I am currently demoing Winstep Xtreme, so far I like it very much. My only question is how can I resize the next start task bar? Some themes make it bigger than 16x16, and I can not make it smaller(can make it bigger though). I use it as a replacement for the Win7 taskbar, I am using Win7 Home 64 bit.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: resize next star taskbar
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The taskbar can be re-sized by dragging the horizontal edges.

However, it will not allow you to re-size it down more than what is necessary for the largest item in it to fit.

Things that affect this are size of Quick Launch icons and buttons, size of Tasklist icons and buttons, system tray button (e.g.; if you have it set to show the time *and* the date), any WorkShelf modules captured into it, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:22 pm 

I have even tried undocking the system tray from the NextStart taskbar, I undocked the tasklist, etc. but some themes will not allow making the taskbar smaller than 32x32(basically the height of two taskbars). I use the windows classic style for the taskbar. Nothing else on the taskbar looks to be oversized and it *should* fit inside the normal 16x16 icon space, it just won't. How do you override the taskbar size?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about posting a screenshot of the taskbar here (and the name of the theme) so I can have a look? :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:46 pm 

Not sure how to post screen shots, but here are the following themes that I can not re-size the NextStart taskbar. I had a bunch of other themes, but when I uninstalled the free version of your software, it removed a bunch of them(I had the free and the demo both installed, and like the features I see in the full version!) Some of those themes did the same thing.

Aero Low Res
Atmospherica
Brisa
K-Tek 4D
Windows_7_Xtreme

I can get Atmospherica to work IF I undock the system tray, and make the taskbar not full screen width. Then every thing fits in the 16x16 space. Why it goes bigger with the system tray docked does not make much sense.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gmvolk wrote:
Not sure how to post screen shots

You have two ways, in fact. You can either upload the screenshot somewhere and then use the IMG tag that you get at the top when you are replying to a post, typing in the URL to the image you uploaded, or you can upload the image directly from your computer as an attachment in the Upload Attachment section that appears at the bottom when you are replying to a post.

If detaching the system tray enables you to re-size the taskbar, then there's your answer right there: more likely than not, it's the system tray button, where the time and date appears. Even if you've set the button background not to be visible, the button is still there, as a container, occupying space. Something you can also try is hiding the date so only the time is visible.

Unfortunately you cannot have your pie and eat it too: the taskbar will not allow you to shrink it's size beyond the minimum to hold all objects, even if the difference is only a single pixel. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 pm 

Strange though, that with the system tray undocked, it holds in the same 16x16 space, but when it is docked it makes everything go to 32x32. I even tried not showing the date, and it did not make a difference. I guess I am just going to have to find that perfect theme!

Thank you

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]